Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mascherano - Keep or Flog?

• 19-08-2010 8:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

Firstly, serious thread is serious.

So I read today that Roy Hodgson has said that Javier Mascherano will see out the remaining two year of his current deal if the club's evaluation is not met. Presumably he would then leave on a free.

My question is would Liverpool fans (or fans of all clubs if I was applicable to their team) prefer to have Mascherano for two more seasons or lower the valuation slightly in the hope of getting in the cash now?

Factors to consider include the players' happiness, the fact that now wouldn't be a bad time to lose him with no Champions League campaign, and whether any of the funds received would even be made available for a replacement.

Just interested to hear the thoughts.

Would you prefer Mascherano to stay a Liverpool player? 87 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    68%
    dardozThanx 4 The FishDont be at yourselfsuper_furryDempseyDrag00n79DcullyLizardKingGuy:Incognitojesus_thats_gresmithy1981emc2zeusnerobillymitchell5starpoolMonkeyTenniseZe^homersimpsonLuckyLloydjebidiah 60 votes
    Liverpool thread tbh
    31%
    applehunterTrampasOtacond22ontourNailzRikandSappy404Reganio 2dsmythyCarcharodonFearDarkcarlopWarperSK1979Dublin_Gunnercurry-muffBerti Vogtstitan18MR NINEPaddyBomb 27 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Surely a no brainer for liverpool fans. Keep him, being the obvious choice. Money won't be spent on an adequate replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

No
    Unless we get at least £20M then he has to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

No
    Unless someone comes in with a huge bid for him 30m+ then he stays imo. He's just a fantastic player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Liverpool thread tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Liverpool thread tbh

But the issue isn't always going to be a Liverpool one.

And I wanted a poll ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Liverpool thread tbh
    If the previous rumors of 25m upwards were offered then I would let him leave for sure. I think he is overrated and could easily be replaced for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

No less than 25 million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Actually keep him. Any and all transfer funds will just be handed direct to RBS with that repayment deadline looming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

It depends on how rich we are going to be by this time next year.

If the answer is "filthy," then i'd keep him for the year, sell him for 10m or whatever and spend big on his replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Liverpool thread tbh
    He has to go , there is no agruing when a player wants to leave a club .. there is no point at keeping unhappy players at the club !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No
    They get £20million for him, Hodgson will be lucky to see £10million of that. Mascherano is one of the best three players in the world in his position, if they can keep him, they should.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

No
    Liverpool have agreed he can go if a decent bid comes in for him. You cant say fairer than that. Until then Masch will play his heart out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Keep him, flog his missus. Literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

No
    Sure Man City are in deseperate need of a another devensive midfielder....

Keep him - they wont get a better player for similar price. Look at how well Alonso's replacement has panned out - Aquilani...

Keep if he'll sign a contract.

Sell if he won't. Otherwise he'll be worth swa in the next window and free the following year.

I'd be shocked if he stays. He's wanted to go for quite a while due to family reasons. His wife and kids don't even live in England afaik.

Tbh, I think it just Liverpool playing hardball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Liverpool thread tbh
    20 mil is a tad steep for him, let alone 30 mil! He's worth 12 mil, 15 mil at the very most. Liverpool would be lucky to get an offer for more, but then again, there are idiots out there like Real...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mister men wrote: »
    Unless someone comes in with a huge bid for him 30m+ then he stays imo. He's just a fantastic player.

Personally I don't think he's worth 30 million. Half that imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If the valuation isn't met then keep him. It's the same story as Barry with Villa. Liverpool didn't meet the valuation, Villa refused to sell and kept him for a year.

The only thing to be wary of is that next year his valuation is probably halved (at least).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What value would you put on him for 2 years? I wouldn't think he adds 10 million to the club every year. If you are sure he won't renew, which to be honest it seems like, I can't really see him being the difference in your league campaign, but he would be the difference in Europe. However since Europe isn't as important atm, I really don't see his worth being over 5-6 million a year. 15 million would be an appropriate value for him I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Surely Liverpool need to sell him by 31st of Aug if the club is not sold. They've bought players with money they dont have, including the danish lad who seems to be a replacment for Masc and will need the money. The main issue to why he hasnt been sold is no body is willing to pay Liverpools asking price. I reckon he'll be sold to Inter just before the transfer deadline for somewhere around the 15m mark.

Liverppol are in no financial position to let a player of his value run down his contract. If the keep him for 1 more year his value will only go down futher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No
    Nailz wrote: »
    20 mil is a tad steep for him, let alone 30 mil! He's worth 12 mil, 15 mil at the very most. Liverpool would be lucky to get an offer for more, but then again, there are idiots out there like Real...

You need to take off your United blinkers. He's captain of Argentina and one of, if not the best, defensive midfielders in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Liverpool thread tbh

He cost them something like £18.5m when he was a West Ham reserve. Surely his value has gone up!

12million??? C'mon

However, I see you're from Cavan :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

No
    he has to stay if the valuation's not met.

and apparently Masch understands and is more than happy to do so if that's what it comes to.

maybe he doesn't actually like the missus so he's not the fussed ;)
    RTE wrote: »
    Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson insists Javier Mascherano will see out the remaining two years of his Anfield contract if the club's valuation of the player is not met.

The Argentina captain, 26, has made it clear to Liverpool that he wants a move overseas in order to be reunited with his family, with his wife refusing to move to England.

He has been linked with Inter Milan - coached by former Reds boss Rafael Benitez - but Hodgson says the player is going nowhere unless the Merseysiders receive the correct amount for him or until his contract expires in 2012.

The Liverpool manager said: 'We haven't had an offer for him. We want an offer that meets what we think is his value, and Javier is perfectly happy with this.

'He doesn't expect the club to just let him walk out of here. He hopes that a club comes in where he could be reunited with his family, which is the major problem for him, that offers us what he is worth and we accept that.

'But he has also made it clear that he doesn't regard it as a hardship to play for Liverpool Football Club. In fact, it's the reverse. It's because of family matters that he wants to go.

'He is resigned to one of two possibilities - either a club doesn't come along and offer us his valuation, in which case he stays, or we have an offer that meets his valuation, in which case he may go.'

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/0819/mascheranoj.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No
    Extend his contract by one year, bump up his wages so he's happy, and sell him next year for £25 million. Simples.

I reckon if our ownership situation is sorted, and if Inter don't come in for him this summer, he'll sign a new contract. He was very close to signing at the end of last season before all the business with Rafa.

'He is resigned to one of two possibilities - either a club doesn't come along and offer us his valuation, in which case he stays, or we have an offer that meets his valuation, in which case he may go.'

Plus he knows that if he rides out his contract he can expect a massive signing on fee :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Liverpool thread tbh
    There isnt many better defensive midfielders around than him. Liverpool would struggle to replace him. If Yaya Toure can be sold for nearly £30m, then so should Mascherano.

No
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Personally I don't think he's worth 30 million. Half that imo.

Masch only worth 15m, you have to be joking. He is easily worth 30 million imo.

What I dont understand is why he and the club dont come to an agreement along the lines of. He siogns a new contract simply to keep his value high and they will let him go if high enough bid comes in.

Id still rather get two more years out of him if he didn't sign and have to sell him cheap as he is a beast of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

No
    Keep him, send him on a blind date with Alex Curran, everyones happy !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Surely Liverpool need to sell him by 31st of Aug if the club is not sold. They've bought players with money they dont have, including the danish lad who seems to be a replacment for Masc and will need the money. The main issue to why he hasnt been sold is no body is willing to pay Liverpools asking price. I reckon he'll be sold to Inter just before the transfer deadline for somewhere around the 15m mark.

Liverppol are in no financial position to let a player of his value run down his contract. If the keep him for 1 more year his value will only go down futher.

Not actually true LFC are about break evens for buys and sells so far this summer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

No
    No brainer Keep him, hes an awesome presence in any midfield.
    Why would any pool fan want to get rid of one of the best defensive midfielders in the world if not the best?
    I will always remember watching him in Anfield at the turn of the new year against Spurs, I kid you not you could hear his tackles from every corner of the stadium.
    Ive never seen anything like it,granted i had a front row seat that particular night but fcuking hell it was scarey how committed and aggressive Masch is,the guy is a beast with an engine Ferrari would be proud to market as a V12.
    Keep him!
    Also Liverpool thread tbh.

Masch only worth 15m, you have to be joking. He is easily worth 30 million imo.

That's just my opinion. I'm terribly terribly sorry that my opinion doesn't match yours. If I was a manager willing to buy him I'd only pay 15 million.

Good player sure but he can be a real loose cannon sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If ALL of the transfer money was made available for new signings than I wouldnt be against selling him as he wants to go, although that is unlikely. I'd be more than happy to keep him - hes an awesome player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

Mister men wrote: »

He is a very good player but 30 million is excessive - for a player who gives the ball away a lot; his passing really needs improvement. Exceptional otherwise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

No
    In fairness his passing has improved a lot, doesnt give the ball away as often as people may think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

No
    I think they need to hope that his valuation isn't met,for one more season at least unless they can bring someone in to replace him before the window closes.Poulsen,Lucas and Aquaman arent good enough to replace him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I would fefinitely keep him, hes a great player.
    You need great players to push on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No
    I would keep him. But it raises a more general point to me to be honest. As far as I'm concerned, there is a fascination with on sale value in the modern game, to the extent that it has obscured proper analysis of whether a player's initial transfer fee / signing on fee / contract / bonus structure offer adequate value to the purchasing club in the first place. Ideally, all those aspects would be pitched to a level that enables a club to feel comfortable allowing a contract to run to expiration.

If that was the standard, players would have less leverage than the current state of play. Simply put, situations where a player can force a move against the club's wishes with numerous years remaining on a deal by virtue of the fact that the club will lose out financially if no on sale fee is achieved - are surely an example of inefficient deals being agreed in the first place.

In this situation, I am firmly for the player being kept because I do not believe the money received will be (or realistically could be) used to obtain a replacement near his level of ability. If either the club's financial situation or the general depth of available players at the position concerned were different - my answer might very well be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No
    If I was a Liverpool fan I would certainly want Mascherano to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

No
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I would keep him. But it raises a more general point to me to be honest. As far as I'm concerned, there is a fascination with on sale value in the modern game, to the extent that it has obscured proper analysis of whether a player's initial transfer fee / signing on fee / contract / bonus structure offer adequate value to the purchasing club in the first place. Ideally, all those aspects would be pitched to a level that enables a club to feel comfortable allowing a contract to run to expiration.

If that was the standard, players would have less leverage than the current state of play. Simply put, situations where a player can force a move against the club's wishes with numerous years remaining on a deal by virtue of the fact that the club will lose out financially if no on sale fee is achieved - are surely an example of inefficient deals being agreed in the first place.

In this situation, I am firmly for the player being kept because I do not believe the money received will be (or realistically could be) used to obtain a replacement near his level of ability. If either the club's financial situation or the general depth of available players at the position concerned were different - my answer might very well be different.

Agree with a lot of this - one problem though - what happens when a player's value has gone up substanially as it has in Masch's case?

Masch cost £18.3m and has been at the club 3 and a half season already.

Assuming he was let go for free at the end of his contract in 2 years time that would be £18.3m for 5.5 seasons or about £3.3m per season.

However the minimum price that seems to be mentioned for him to go is £25m so the question is whether it would be a case of him costing the club £6.6m over the next two years (plus wages) or whether it would be a case of the club "losing out" on £25m

On his wages - they aren't rumoured to be all that high - heard he was on something like the £50k p.w. as he didn't sign the contract extension.

Personally I'd be in the keep him camp as I would have serious doubts about the quality of his replacement being brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Liverpool thread tbh
    Very overrated player, IMO.

Him and Walcott are the two most overrated players in the Premier League.

Liverpool would be better off taking the cash as they could improve the team/squad as a whole, IMO.

Very overrated player, IMO.

Him and Walcott are the two most overrated players in the Premier League.

Liverpool would be better off taking the cash as they could improve the team/squad as a whole, IMO.

With their current owners though, how much money would Roy realistically see from that transfer? Not a lot I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Liverpool thread tbh
    Masch isn't overrated, he's just under-rated by those who can't see the work he puts in game after game.

Anyway, back to the poll.

Its a difficult one to answer. Would I 'prefer' him to stay? Yes, obviously. But the right thing to do would be to sell him for a decent amount and let him move on.

He's a professional though, and I know, even if he wanted to move for his family, he'd put in 100% every game.

I voted 'no' on the poll, primarily because I think he should be sold, for in the region of 18-20m, and the money (if given as transfer funds) spent on a full back / and or striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

He has to go , there is no agruing when a player wants to leave a club .. there is no point at keeping unhappy players at the club !

Yeah that extra year Ronaldo stayed at United worked out so badly for everyone!

I think Mascherano's an excellent player but have no idea how much anyone is worth anymore. If Yaya Toure is worth 25 million, I'd say Mascherano is too. Whether anyone's going to pay that price is an entirely diferent matter. Real and City are probably the only ones willing to spend that big on a defensive midfielder so it's difficult to see it happening. I presume that's the kind of money Liverpool are valuing him at. Maybe Inter might stretch to 18-20 million and Liverpool would go for that. Otherwise, he's staying put for two years. Liverpool will get two good years out of him and he'll get a massive signing fee and wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Liverpool thread tbh
    nkay1985 wrote: »
    Liverpool will get two good years out of him and he'll get a massive signing fee and wages.

While it would be nice to see Liverpool keeping him to honour his contract though i wouldn't say for certain that they would be a good 2 years.If rumours are true his family want to leave well i can only imagine the response he will get from his missus when he tells her he has to stay another 2 years. ;)
    Some things are more important than football and am sure if his homelife started to strain from that announcement to her, his mind wouldn't be all there on the pitch in time.
    As i said it would be nice to force him to honour his contract but seeing as his reasons seem to be more personal than financially motivated, i would let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

d22ontour wrote: »
    While it would be nice to see Liverpool keeping him to honour his contract though i wouldn't say for certain that they would be a good 2 years.If rumours are true his family want to leave well i can only imagine the response he will get from his missus when he tells her he has to stay another 2 years. ;)
    Some things are more important than football and am sure if his homelife started to strain from that announcement to her, his mind wouldn't be all there on the pitch in time.
    As i said it would be nice to force him to honour his contract but seeing as his reasons seem to be more personal than financially motivated, i would let him go.

Yeah I see what you mean by that alright. What I meant is that he seems to be the type of player that would try his hardest in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

As a United fan I'd love him to leave!

He's excellent and a massive presence in the big big games, not a player I would want to leave if he was at my club anyways.

I've heard many people think Yaya Toure is a better DM, personally I think Mascherano is the worlds best and you don't want to lose players of that calibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Liverpool thread tbh
    When you see a donkey like Poulsen playing in his role, how can they sell Mascherano. Poulsen was an awful signing. I saw him play lots of times for Juve last year and he didnt play well once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭Trampas

Liverpool thread tbh
    He will be still here come sept 1st. He has been leaving for years.

I would sell him if the right offer comes in. I think 20+mil is over the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No
    It's strange, out of all the names that I recognise from those who voted no, I consider all but one to be complete idiots.

• Advertisement
Advertisement