Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mascherano - Keep or Flog?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Warper wrote: »
    When you see a donkey like Poulsen playing in his role, how can they sell Mascherano. Poulsen was an awful signing. I saw him play lots of times for Juve last year and he didnt play well once.

and he was within a wrong refereeing decision of opening his account for his new club having not played football since the WC tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭SM01

I'd like him to be stay and be happy to play for the club but if he's adamant about leaving, well, I think Steven Defour and £3-5 million for additional signings would soften the blow so it's akin to a 6 month old's karate chop. If the requisite funds aren't forthcoming, I'd like LFC to stand firm and be sticklers on their valuation price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Liverpool thread tbh
    It's strange, out of all the names that I recognise from those who voted no, I consider all but one to be complete idiots.

Yawn.

Maybe the other 19 of us should report you for personal abuse. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Liverpool thread tbh
    d22ontour wrote: »
    Yawn.

Was quite tempted, just getting insulted for my own personal opinion. I know he's going to turn this around, united fan bla bla but I picked no for my own reasons firstly being the fact that that I do see Mascherano as an overrated player, certainly in terms of the price Liverpool are looking for him. Secondly with the acquisition of Poulsen, I dont believe you will see as much of a difference in the team with him gone. And finally because as other people have stated, this year will be the best year to get such a high amount for him, he clearly isn't getting any younger.

Ill save reporting for one of the other 18 people he offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No
    Yawn.

Work away. Ironically enough, you were the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Liverpool thread tbh
    It's strange, out of all the names that I recognise from those who voted no, I consider all but one to be complete idiots.

:rolleyes:

Great informative post there, keep up the good work :rolleyes:
    That says more about you than it does the people you are trying to insult via the internet.

No

Great informative post there, keep up the good work :rolleyes:
    That says more about you than it does the people you are trying to insult via the internet.

Thanks. You turning it around on me like that has really shown me.

It goes withou saying to be honest. If you can't see the value in a player like Mascherano, you need to get your head checked. Argue all you want whether is worth nearly 30m but he is one of the best in the world at what he does and loosing him would be a significant dent in the clubs ambitions to win titles or cups.

Liverpool thread tbh
    Thanks. You turning it around on me like that has really shown me.

It goes withou saying to be honest. If you can't see the value in a player like Mascherano, you need to get your head checked. Argue all you want whether is worth nearly 30m but he is one of the best in the world at what he does and loosing him would be a significant dent in the clubs ambitions to win titles or cups.

One can obviously see the value of having him there, no one is really arguing against that but there are other considerations to take into account.
    I feel he is overrated, that is not to say he is bad but people seem to always believe in the hype ever since he came here, for me he can be careless on the ball and he may throw himself around the pitch but it is not always in the most efficient manner. He is very good and extremely effective at times but not up there with some of the greats over the years, I will have to see more of him too as I found it tough to watch some of the Liverpool games in recent years.

I am also of the opinion that if a player wants out for whatever reason then let him go, obviously for the right price.

No
    And I did say "of the names I recognise".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Liverpool thread tbh
    curry-muff wrote: »
    I picked no for my own reasons firstly being the fact that that I do see Mascherano as an overrated player, certainly in terms of the price Liverpool are looking for him

I said no looking at his personal life aspect of it.

From a footballing viewpoint it would be a no brainer.Would be pretty hard to replace a quality player like him as i feel he is one of the best DMs about.
    My biased view would be to sell him as Pool losing a world class player would only be a good thing. :pac:

Liverpool thread tbh
    And I did say "of the names I recognise".

So now I am a nobody :(

Wish I was part of the clique :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

No

lol, I bet we're thinking of the same dude too! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I said no looking at his personal life aspect of it.

Why not? Clearly it's a factor in where he plays so it should be a factor for the club trying to keep him. It can't just be discredited.

Re: him being worth c. 30 million, he's only worth what someone is willing to pay and the only ones who may stump up the cash (City and Madrid) are already stock piled with DMCs.

It realistically only leaves Inter in terms of interest from big hitters so they can afford to lower their valuation.

Liverpool will never get close to 30 million for him so it's really a moot point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No ones enquired about him yet as far as I know so he may well end up staying.

After the Ireland match he more or less said goodbye to Liverpool. Its hard to have a player who doesnt want to be there. Having said that, hes still put in a couple of great performances for Liverpool since those comments.

I`d sell him if he wants to go. The fixation with DM is really becoming an irritant in the last few years and I think they are hugely overvalued.

Should Liverpool sell him? Yes
    Will they sell him? Probably not as I dont see anyone paying big money for him.

No
    adox wrote: »
    No ones enquired about him yet as far as I know so he may well end up staying.

After the Ireland match he more or less said goodbye to Liverpool. Its hard to have a player who doesnt want to be there. Having said that, hes still put in a couple of great performances for Liverpool since those comments.

I`d sell him if he wants to go. The fixation with DM is really becoming an irritant in the last few years and I think they are hugely overvalued.

Should Liverpool sell him? Yes
    Will they sell him? Probably not as I dont see anyone paying big money for him.

O Rly?

Please elaborate on this statement, and provide numerous examples of successful teams during the past 10 years who have succeeded without them. Failing that, comment on current tactical approaches of the better coaches / teams in the world, and contextualize why DMs are not integral to what they are doing. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    O Rly?

Please elaborate on this statement, and provide numerous examples of successful teams during the past 10 years who have succeeded without them. Failing that, comment on current tactical approaches of the better coaches / teams in the world, and contextualize why DMs are not integral to what they are doing. Thanks in advance.

Try reading the post again,especially the part you have in bold. Hugely overvalued are the words I used. I didnt state anywhere in my post that they arent needed.

Thanks in advance.

No
    adox wrote: »
    Try reading the post again,especially the part you have in bold. Hugely overvalued are the words I used. I didnt state anywhere in my post that they arent needed.

Thanks in advance.

Eh yeah, and I'm saying you're wrong. Particularly when consideration is paid to the relative depth of world beaters who play the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Liverpool thread tbh
    mike65 wrote: »
    and he was within a wrong refereeing decision of opening his account for his new club having not played football since the WC tonight!

Wow-wee. Marlon Harewood scored twice last weekend too.

I take it you know nothing about him so with a ridiculous comment like that. Ask any one that keeps an eye on Serie A and they will tell you the guy is very average. He couldn't even make the starting XI in the Juve team last year and that was one of the worst seasons Juve ever had. They were woeful, when he came on they got even worse - a shocking buy for a team like Liverpool.

Liverpool thread tbh
    Btw the question was would you rather see Mascherano as a Liverpool player. I chose No as I hope they get rid of him and Barca take him instead.

Mascherano would be imo in Liverpool's Top 3 players, behind Torres and Gerrard (Reina would be close too). They should do everything in their power to keep him, which im sure they are. I didnt see the game last night, did he play? If so that is a good sign as his value is lessened due to being cup-tied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I take it you know nothing about him so with a ridiculous comment like that. Ask any one that keeps an eye on Serie A and they will tell you the guy is very average. He couldn't even make the starting XI in the Juve team last year and that was one of the worst seasons Juve ever had. They were woeful, when he came on they got even worse - a shocking buy for a team like Liverpool.

Seen a lot of him with Sevilla, he was a good player. Did particulalry well in his first year there. Didn't see much of him for Juventus but I think he had issues with the coach.

I think he started most of Juve's league games by the way. Despite the coach asking him to leave.

He is a useful player who knows how to play in the centre of midfield. Likes a tackle too.

• Advertisement

Btw the question was would you rather see Mascherano as a Liverpool player. I chose No as I hope they get rid of him and Barca take him instead.

Mascherano would be imo in Liverpool's Top 3 players, behind Torres and Gerrard (Reina would be close too). They should do everything in their power to keep him, which im sure they are. I didnt see the game last night, did he play? If so that is a good sign as his value is lessened due to being cup-tied.

If you knew much about football you'd know Mascherano would be cup tied for the Europa league. Something that wouldn't affect his move to Inter or Barca.

Liverpool thread tbh
    Seen a lot of him with Sevilla, he was a good player. Did particulalry well in his first year there. Didn't see much of him for Juventus but I think he had issues with the coach.

I think he started most of Juve's league games by the way. Despite the coach asking him to leave.

He is a useful player who knows how to play in the centre of midfield. Likes a tackle too.

He didnt start most of Juve's games last year and when he did, more often than not he was taken off. There must be some Juve fans on here or at least people that would have seen him play to verify this guy's quality. The guy is very average as Liverpool fans will see pretty quickly. Why is it that Liverpool fans hardly ever criticise anything that Liverpool do? You can go on believing that Poulsen is a good player if you want, you will convince yourself in time.

Regards, the Cup-tied thing, thanks, I honestly forgot about that. I thought playing in a European comp meant that you couldnt play in either of the Euro comps.

He didnt start most of Juve's games last year and when he did, more often than not he was taken off. There must be some Juve fans on here or at least people that would have seen him play to verify this guy's quality. The guy is very average as Liverpool fans will see pretty quickly. Why is it that Liverpool fans hardly ever criticise anything that Liverpool do? You can go on believing that Poulsen is a good player if you want, you will convince yourself in time.

Regards, the Cup-tied thing, thanks, I honestly forgot about that. I thought playing in a European comp meant that you couldnt play in either of the Euro comps.

I watched Poulsen for two years at Sevilla. I'm using that as a basis for my judgement. He may turn out to be poor but if he recaptures his form from Spain I think he'd be a good squad player. £5 million for him, we're not expecting Pele.

No
    Poulsen sucks. He's on the downslope of his career. Unfortunately I feel that last season will be the benchmark for his form going forward.

Poulsen sucks. He's on the downslope of his career. Unfortunately I feel that last season will be the benchmark for his form going forward.

How much of him did you watch last season? I doubt you seen him kick a ball.

Liverpool thread tbh
    If you knew much about football you'd know Mascherano would be cup tied for the Europa league. Something that wouldn't affect his move to Inter or Barca.

Can someone clarify this? If a player plays in the Europa League does that mean that he can play in the CL? Just reading there the reason that Hodgson didnt play Aquilani last night was the fear that he would be cup-tied as he is planning on loaning him back to Italy. I dont know which team.

Liverpool thread tbh

UEFA club football regulations state that, with very few exceptions, players who play in a European Club competition are subsequently cup-tied with respect to all European football for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

No
    Can someone clarify this? If a player plays in the Europa League does that mean that he can play in the CL? Just reading there the reason that Hodgson didnt play Aquilani last night was the fear that he would be cup-tied as he is planning on loaning him back to Italy. I dont know which team.

99.9% sure that if you play Europa you can't play CL so it would affect any transfers if he played last night

niallo27 wrote: »
    99.9% sure that if you play Europa you can't play CL so it would affect any transfers if he played last night

If you get knocked out of the Champions League then all your players are cup tied for the Europa cup. Harsh.
    Further, as per Champions League regulation 17.18, one player per club who would normally be cup-tied can be registered and eligible to play, so long as his previous club did not field him in the same competition, meaning that this player can represent two different clubs in the UEFA Cup and Champions League.

Essentially your right. However, its possible to play one player in both competitions. So Mascherano would be ok to play in the Champions league.

Liverpool thread tbh
    If you get knocked out of the Champions League then all your players are cup tied for the Europa cup. Harsh.

Essentially your right. However, its possible to play one player in both competitions. So Mascherano would be ok to play in the Champions league.

So essentially you were wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Flog.

With a cat-o-nine-tails.

So essentially you were wrong.

Essentially. I'll eat my underpants.

No
    How much of him did you watch last season? I doubt you seen him kick a ball.

I watched him play all three of Denmark's games at this world cup, and saw him in action at least six times for Juventus last season (Seria A is covered on ESPN). Particular low points were abysmal performances against Milan and Sampdoria, and he was also horrendous when brought on at half time against Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

He sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

No

I watched him play all three of Denmark's games at this world cup, and saw him in action at least six times for Juventus last season (Seria A is covered on ESPN). Particular low points were abysmal performances against Milan and Sampdoria, and he was also horrendous when brought on at half time against Bayern Munich in the Champions League.

He sucks.
    I severely doubt Roy Hodgson brought in somebody who sucks unless he feels he has a lot to offer. I'm not claiming to know anything about him by the way but I thought he played well the other night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Liverpool thread tbh
    I voted no, as in they should sell him, simply because they have already bought Poulsen, and it makes little sense having Poulsen, Lucas and Mascherano in the same squad. Had they not already bought Poulsen, then it would be a different story.

In big games such as a match against one of the 'big 4' or a big champions league game, I think Mascherano is the most effective player in world football. If Liverpool's short-term objective is to challenge for top-level honours, he has to stay.

However, if the short-term objective is to restore a bit of stability and aim for fourth, I think as a Liverpool fan I'd be willing to accept an offer of 20m + if the funds would be reinvested in the playing squad.

To finish fourth, Liverpool don't need to beat the Chelseas and Uniteds, they need to consistently pick up three points against the likes of Stoke and Wolves. While Mascherano is a great player, these aren't the games he excels in, and I feel the money could be put to use improving other parts of the squad.

On a side note, having witnessed what appears to be one of the worst bits of business I've seen in a long time, Aquilani for a year and 4.5 mil for Poulsen, there's no reason to believe any money raised would be spent wisely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Liverpool thread tbh
    carlop wrote: »
    In big games such as a match against one of the 'big 4' or a big champions league game, I think Mascherano is the most effective player in world football.

:pac:

That's surely a wind-up?

Essien is the correct answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

No
    Essien has played **** all in the last 2 seasons. He is a prime example of someone living off their rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Liverpool thread tbh
    :pac:

That's surely a wind-up?

Essien is the correct answer.

Not a wind-up. Maybe actually I'll stretch it to one of the most effective, but certainly top 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Liverpool thread tbh
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    Essien has played **** all in the last 2 seasons. He is a prime example of someone living off their rep.

Essien is twice the player that Mascherano is, IMO.

If he's 'living off his rep' as you say, it's for good reason.

Then again, football is all about opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

I take it you know nothing about him so with a ridiculous comment like that.

Eh? I just stated what happened, nothing else. Don't throw your toys out of the pram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

No
    Keep him, watching him against Arsenal last week just reminded me how good the chap is. Also, one would hope we'll be filthy rich in two years time so I wouldn't be worried about him running down his contract. :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement