Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does he do ??

• 19-08-2010 8:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

My son has 380 point in his leaving, he has applied for 2 collages, problem is he doesn't really have too much of an interest in the courses and has only applied for them because he doesn't want to miss the boat and have nothing, his main problem is he has no clue what so ever what he want to do in life, i prompted him to apply for the courses and advised him to then defer and hopefully the next year would open his mind to his future, i would just like to hear others opinions on what they would do, or advise in this situation ??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would say don't do a course you do not like. If your son's heart is not in it, he will not do well in it.

Maybe take a year out and do something else - travel, work (may not be an option in today's climate), or possibly a short-term course?

What are his interests and hobbies? Is there something in there he could make a career out of? Does he like cars (mechanic), food (chef), maths (engineer), computers (programmer/web developer), people (teacher), sports (trainer) and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I prompted him to apply for the courses and advised him to then defer and hopefully the next year would open his mind to his future ...
    I'm sure you realise that he can re-apply through the CAO next year using this year's points?

I would agree with Tom about not doing a course he has no interest in.

Apart from the fact that it may put him off the idea of college altogether, it's a lot of expense ... and remember that if he does First Year of a course this year, even if he doesn't pass, he will not be eligible for Free Fees for the first year of any other course he might enrol for next year.

Perhaps a one year PLC course in an area he might be interested in, but isn't sure enough about to pick for college now? Most of these include a work placement as well, which often gives participants a chance to find out whether they really have an interest or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

A 1 year PLC in something he has some sort of interest in to see whether he likes the subject would be the best option maybe...

if he doesn't think he'll like the college course he could drop out and your going to be footing a big bill for that...

he can then see does he like the subject and if he does then use the points to get a CAO offer next year...

travelling or working probably isn't the best option in this case because he won't like the course next year either and won't be any further on in choosing a course or topic he'll like... at least he'll find out if he has an interest in the topic from a PLC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Hi Everyone,

My son has 380 point in his leaving, he has applied for 2 collages, problem is he doesn't really have too much of an interest in the courses and has only applied for them because he doesn't want to miss the boat and have nothing, his main problem is he has no clue what so ever what he want to do in life, i prompted him to apply for the courses and advised him to then defer and hopefully the next year would open his mind to his future, i would just like to hear others opinions on what they would do, or advise in this situation ??

Thanks.

I'd swear that was me you were talking about, same points and everything.
    In the exact same boat.

Think I'll repeat, didn't do enough.
    Mightn't be an option for your son though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'd recommend a PLC course too. The one year might mature him and open his eyes to what he wants to do. Definitely I wouldn't commit to a 2,3 or 4 year course without interest in the course. Other than that he could repeat, or take a year out, but I know if it was me a year out would just make it so much harder to go back after.

Best of luck whatever he decides :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Hi Everyone,

Thanks.

I would say well over 50% of students going to college have no idea what they really want to do in college, or have much of an interest in what they end up doing - nevermind what they want to do in "life". I still don't know what I want to do with my life.
    I took a year out after my LC, because otherwise I would have been 16 for the whole first semester. It's possible that I matured a little during the year out, but other than that I didn't really benefit from it. I still hated the course I chose after the year out, and while I had been a good, diligent student in LC, after the year out I was lazy and always did everything at the last minute. I completed the four-year degree, and ended up vowing that I would never do anything job in the field.

If there are other things he wants to do before starting college, then by all means he should go for them - but postponing starting in the hope that he'll know what he wants after the year is up is a little optimistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Ficheall wrote: »
    I would say well over 50% of students going to college have no idea what they really want to do in college, or have much of an interest in what they end up doing - nevermind what they want to do in "life". I still don't know what I want to do with my life.
    I took a year out after my LC, because otherwise I would have been 16 for the whole first semester. It's possible that I matured a little during the year out, but other than that I didn't really benefit from it. I still hated the course I chose after the year out, and while I had been a good, diligent student in LC, after the year out I was lazy and always did everything at the last minute. I completed the four-year degree, and ended up vowing that I would never do anything job in the field.

If there are other things he wants to do before starting college, then by all means he should go for them - but postponing starting in the hope that he'll know what he wants after the year is up is a little optimistic.

I disagree. People our age will go to college for the sake of going. And at the end of the day it's at your expense.

What I do know is that in most colleges you get the chance to get the fee's back if you leave before November. Check it out. He might find out that he really likes the course.

I had a friend who knew he hated his course, and never went to college, his parents didn't know. They didn't get money back for first year since he left after deadline. Not saying your son will do same thing but it can be stressful for someone when they hate their course and don't know what they are going to do, so communication is key.

Good luck with everything.

Advertisement