Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manual Focus

• 19-08-2010 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

I've only recently started playing around with the manual focus switch on a Canon 550D. Can I ask though, what are the merits of Manual over Auto Focus?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

One merit in general terms will be when the autofocus can't focus. I know it may sounds obvious, but autofocus will only be so good and will have limitations based on lighting or the ability of the electoronics to interpret the scene - where the mechanisms involved will just continually "hunt" before giving up, whereas manual focus is dependent on your interpretation of the scene. There is a point of accuracy where manual focus (if you are good at it and this point is very important) will be accurate to what you want it to be accurate at; whereas autofocus might be 90%+ accurate. This, only important if your images are of significance I'd guess. If they are snaps and you take lots of them then it may not be significant.

It's like most things in the camera world -Manual controls (aperture, shutter speed, iso, focus) essentially puts the control in your hands rather than the engineers that created your camera.

For speed, there is no comparison and accurate autofocus can be vital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Yeah I think it should be more "what are the merits of AF over manual focus" . AF is at an advantage if you're trying to take quick pictures of fast moving things. And that's pretty much it really. For example I've had to progressively upgrade my camera bodies from MF to first generation AF to modern AF to keep up with my kid as he went from mostly quiet baby to frenetic toddler and up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

For doing macro stuff, it's very handy to have the lens in manual mode. Instead of using the focusing ring, you focus by moving the camera in and out till you find the optimal range. This only really works effectively with life-size or closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Can I ask though, what are the merits of Manual over Auto Focus?

Thanks!

The biggest advantage of manual focus is stability. Once you set
    your focus point and distance, it won't change if you re-compose
    the shot or if you take several shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Knowing how to use manual focus gives you access to some second hand lenses that often have better optical quality than many of their modern autofocus equivalents which may cost ten to twenty times the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

As David says manual focus is very handy for macro especially with live view. I had to get some shots of Monty Roberts schooling a Horse in the RDS, usually he is in a round cage but they also had another cage around that one too so the camera wouldnt focus at all so into manual focus and live view

I know a lot of video guys that only use manual focus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

When you are in manual focus and swing out of focus, you'll get nice view of any highlights - very handy and quick tool to see the tonal composition without being distracted by the subject itself.
    My eyes are bad, so I am most of the time in AF, but when I want to play, conditions are bad or the subject is not easy for AF to focus, MF comes into play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

ThOnda wrote: »
    When you are in manual focus and swing out of focus, you'll get nice view of any highlights - very handy and quick tool to see the tonal composition without being distracted by the subject itself.
    My eyes are bad, so I am most of the time in AF, but when I want to play, conditions are bad or the subject is not easy for AF to focus, MF comes into play.

Never thought of that!

Advertisement