Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting incident and theft of firearms

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

scary stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-investigate-shooting-by-gang-469895.html

Hope that the guy involved makes a full recovery.
    Just goes to show the sort of scum out there:mad:

Does one of our boards.ie regular contributers live near there???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

RTE have more detail:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0819/hacketstown.html
    Man injured after gang attacks Wicklow house
    Thursday, 19 August 2010 12:27
    A 32-year-old man has been wounded in a shooting at a house near the Wicklow-Carlow border.

The victim was beaten, tied up and shot in the arm by a gang of up to six people who broke into his cottage at Rathduffmore at about 10pm.

The gang also demanded that the man hand over any firearms he had in the house.

The injured man managed to get to the house of a neighbour who raised the alarm at around 10.30pm.

He was taken to Naas General Hospital and later transferred to Tallaght Hospital.

It is understood the injured man had been living alone at the house for around five years.

The house has been sealed-off and a forensic examination will take place.

Gardaí hope to be able to speak to the man about what happened later today.

They have not yet established whether any firearms were taken during the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hope the guy concerned makes a full recovery and the scumbags are caught and locked up.

This is a good example of why it's important not to post personal details such as real names, addresses or phone numbers on public forums. You never know who is watching.

johngalway wrote: »
    Hope the guy concerned makes a full recovery and the scumbags are caught and locked up.

This is a good example of why it's important not to post personal details such as real names, addresses or phone numbers on public forums. You never know who is watching.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Indeed it is a good reminder to not let anyone know you have firearms in the house

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

i'd imagine there is more to that story than meets the eye somehow

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-investigate-shooting-by-gang-469895.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0819/hacketstown.html

Hope that the guy involved makes a full recovery.
    Just goes to show the sort of scum out there:mad:

Not clear if guns were taken, but i know if it was me in that situation i think
    i would give them whatever they wanted .

I have written to RTE at complaints.review@rte.ie complaining about how they have reported on this matter. My problem with the report is they have mentioned the area in which this poor man lives, and added to that they have published a photo of what I assume to be his house. I find this completely unacceptable as it puts him and his family if any to further risk from the scumbags who seem to run riot doing as they please in this country. I don't know the in's and out's of the particular case of course, but if he ever decides to apply for, recovers, or gets into shooting at a future date he is now a very easy target thanks to RTE publishing his details for all the world to see.

If it were me in that position, they would be getting more than a letter of complaint. Some of us have had to jump through a lot of security hoops to be let do what we do, then RTE can freely publish photos of our houses and name the village or area at will. This is not right or acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shedd7

johngalway wrote: »
    I have written to RTE at complaints.review@rte.ie complaining about how they have reported on this matter. My problem with the report is they have mentioned the area in which this poor man lives, and added to that they have published a photo of what I assume to be his house. I find this completely unacceptable as it puts him and his family if any to further risk from the scumbags who seem to run riot doing as they please in this country. I don't know the in's and out's of the particular case of course, but if he ever decides to apply for, recovers, or gets into shooting at a future date he is now a very easy target thanks to RTE publishing his details for all the world to see.

If it were me in that position, they would be getting more than a letter of complaint. Some of us have had to jump through a lot of security hoops to be let do what we do, then RTE can freely publish photos of our houses and name the village or area at will. This is not right or acceptable.

You must have missed the bit in the report about him living alone for 5 years,and you have also apparently missed the story about the homemade explosive device found in the same area:rolleyes: Just might be connected to the original incident.

shedd7 wrote: »
    You must have missed the bit in the report about him living alone for 5 years,and you have also apparently missed the story about the homemade explosive device found in the same area:rolleyes: Just might be connected to the original incident.

Roll your eyes back into their sockets :P I did miss the bit about him living alone in fairness, though it does apply to other shooters.

There were no mention of an explosive device in either report, and to date I'm unable to receive news reports by telepathy. Have you got a link to the explosive device story? Have the Gardai linked that and the man in question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

seems like something strange went on there!took ages to find an article that linked the pipeomb and robbery!the intruders may have drugged the dogs
    http://www.wicklownews.net/index.php/2010/08/472/

Very strange indeed, there does appear to be more to it as Landkeeper suggested :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

seems to be being kept quite for some reason

bazza888 wrote: »
    seems like something strange went on there!took ages to find an article that linked the pipeomb and robbery!the intruders may have drugged the dogs
    http://www.wicklownews.net/index.php/2010/08/472/

Very sus....

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

i heard on Friday it was something to do with rival biker gangs, i know...its very American TV:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

The Irish version of "Sons of Anarchy"??:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

"sons of paddy & mary";)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 shedd7

Incredible the way SOME news stories are jumped on and taken as gospel in nano seconds but other stories are treated with extreme cynicism. These stories come from the same sources,generally,that people jump up and down about misrepresenting shooting sports and firearms in general. Think there is enough evidence out there over the last few years,particularly but not exclusively regarding firearms, to completely ignore these kind of stories in their entirety.

shedd7 wrote: »
    Incredible the way SOME news stories are jumped on and taken as gospel in nano seconds but other stories are treated with extreme cynicism. These stories come from the same sources,generally,that people jump up and down about misrepresenting shooting sports and firearms in general. Think there is enough evidence out there over the last few years,particularly but not exclusively regarding firearms, to completely ignore these kind of stories in their entirety.

I have to agree.
    Massive speculation, yet the story has ended on the news.

I hate hearing stories of firearm issues on the news as they are another bit of reenforcement to bolster some4 anti's argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wouldnt be too worried about the non PTB firearms antis,they are few here.
    It is more the PTB anti "firearms in public hands" I worry about.THEY are the bigger threat.:mad:.You can see how they use civillian incidents to tighten up the law.After all wasnt a murder with an illegal firearm that nasty little mans perfect excuse to ban CF pistols???How callous can you be???Hitch up your political career on a murder.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement