Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting to UCD from North County Dublin

Options
  • 19-08-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I'm commencing a course in UCD in Septmber. I'm thinking about commuting and am wondering what are my options (living in Balbriggan) ? Alternatively is driving a better option. I'm looking at a 9 am start. Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

some of the commuter trains in the morning will stop at Sydney parade and I think there maybe a feeder bus or else I reckon you are talking 15-20 walk

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Did it in the early 90's. It's a bit of a killer - the 9am starts are the worst. Train is by far the best option, unless you can afford to take the Port Tunnel daily. Usually walked up from Sydney Parade Station.

Having said that, with Student commuter tickets, living at home and commuting is a much cheaper option than living near the campus. Make sure you cultivate friends living locally for late nights though!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know one guy who regularly cycles into town from Bettystown - he's usually at his desk, posting on boards, by around 8am

(I usually cycle home from Northside to Skerries via Balbriggan - it's definitely doable if you have the inclination and want to get fit;))

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

get the train to tara street then get out go up to spar on d'olier street and wait for the ten bus to take you all the way to ucd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Did it from 01-05. Get the train at 7.20 (ish), go to Sydney parade, walk up to UCD (about 15 mins). If the train doesn't stop at Sydney parade, change to a Dart in the middle somewhere. You can wait for the no 3 bus at sydney parade, but it's a bit like the 33, you could be waiting ages.

Otherwise get the same train to Pearse, go up to where Baggot Street meets Stephen's green, there's a bus stop there that almost every bus passes, expresses included. Either there or along the side of Trinity, there's a stop for the 10 and all it's cousins (A,B,C etc).

Failing all that, I think Dublin bus run a bus at about 7.30am from Balbriggan to UCD, and a return one in the evening. I'm open to correction on that.

Don't know if you know the buses out there, if you can get the 46A/B/C from around Westmoreland st/Stephen's Grn/Leeson St, that'll put you just outside the college, and you can walk in. The 10 brings you all the way into the college, to the eng building. There are a lot of options for getting over there, but usually start with the train.

As said before - try and make friends on that side of the city for the late nights!!I wouldn't drive, you've to pay for parking over there and traffic can be a bit of a nightmare. Commuting is totally do-able, I did it for 4 years and had the time of my life while I was there. I'm jealous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Did it from 07 till last May. To be honest it is a bit of a pain. If you're using public transport the train is your best bet. Some trains in the morning go direct to Sydney Parade which is about a 15 minute walk from UCD.

A general rule of thumb is that you should get the train about 2 hours before you should be in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

I commute form Rush to UCD, ahve done for the last 3 years. It is definitely better to drive if you can. I'm not sure what your timetable is like but if you have early days where you finish at lunchtime you will be waiting an age to get home. IT usually take about 40mins to drive home with no traffic.

The 33x is pretty good in the mornings and then get either a 46a over to UCD. The 10 bus will be terminated by September (if not already) so don't rely on that one too much. I haven't gone by train as it takes me too long to get to the train station in the morning and I don't fancy walking ;)

You could also check out about carpooling, I know some people that are doing it from Swords.

Advertisement