Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Web downtime monitor

• 19-08-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some kind of a tool to monitor when a network loses internet connectivity, it doesn't need to do anything with the information other than storing it locally. Someone was saying that the internet goes down regualraly in my dad office and I'd like to see how bad it is (leave a the program running for a week)

Anyone know of an application that will do this for me

I was thinking of writing a shell script for it, but i dont any machine in the office is a linux one :( (I would have done it using a combo of ping | grep >> test.txt) could it be implemented in CMD batch file?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Would a ping -t work? You could write the results to a txt file easily and should show you loss.

There is a handy freeware app for this.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/perfping.html

I'm not too sure if that'll write it's own txt report though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Can't you just redirect the output of PING to a text file? eg: ping www.boards.ie -t > results.txt

Let me dig out a Windoze machine to test that....

It will work but I can't see an option to add a time stamp to the output so you'd have no idea from the above command when the link went down just that it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Checked out the link from chin_grin, does exactly what you need, I have bookmarked that one for myself. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It seems like a great little program, and you can log to a file but there seems to be a problem. It doesn't seem to persist if it fails, I was pinging boards, bulled out my ethernet cable at it gave up pinging after it failed once.

Thanks for the suggestion though

Just did the same. Yeah, got a "hardware error" then when I plugged the cable back in (thinking it would resume) it didn't.

Ah well!

I'd say try a batch file? "ping -t"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have a batch file that will work, sort of it has its issues too though

cd C:\Users\brian
    echo Ping Test > results.txt
    :Loop
    echo %time% >> results.txt
    ping www.boards.ie >> results.txt
    goto Loop

Problem is though, when it cant find boards.ie it goes like the clappers!! See attached file. (sending mulitple pings every second)

I need to make it sleep, will look into it during lunch

Switch Description
    -a Resolves IP addresses to hostnames
    -i Lets you set Time To Live (TTL)
    -l Lets you set the packet size
    -n Lets you set the number of echo requests
    (the default is 4)
    -t Pings the computer you specified until you
    type Control-C (While ping is running, typing
    Control-Break inserts statistics.)
    -w Lets you set the number of milliseconds to wait
    before each reply times out

Would you be able to use a switch? By a glance I wouldn't have a notion! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Stick 'sleep 1' in the loop somewhere so it'll always wait a second between each iteration.

[edit] Also, change it to 'ping -n 1' too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

You could try mtr or set up nagios on your machine to monitor it?
    MTR will only give you stats at the end of the week of how long each link was up, whereas nagios will tell you whatever you want it to tell you(probably overkill for this scenario)

Advertisement