Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a birthday cake in Waterford city

• 19-08-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Alright lads, I've got my mam's 50th birthday coming up and I need to get a cake to mark the occasion and feed the rabid masses.

Anyone got any good suggestions of places that they've used in the past, obviously want somewhere with good quality, decent value and fairly quick service as the party is on Saturday.

Helpful answers may get a slice a cake if there's any left by Sunday morning.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 FoxyChickNic

If it's nothing too fancy you're after just a good cake with a message iced on top Superquinn gets my vote. You can pop in to them and give them the message you want on the cake, pay your deposit and they'll have the cake ready for you.
    They do different sizes too so you can make sure no-one's left hungry, I can't remember the prices but they're easy enough on the pocket.

If it's something fancy you're after try Edible Dreams on Ballybricken, the staff in there are really helpful and while the cakes look amazing, they are a wee bit more damaging on the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

Cheers FCN, some good suggestions.

Even the name Edible Dreams is getting my mouth watering so I might have to pay em a visit later, I can see myself getting something for myself to tide me over till Saturday though if they're as amazing looking as you say they are.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

If it's something fancy you're after try Edible Dreams on Ballybricken, the staff in there are really helpful and while the cakes look amazing, they are a wee bit more damaging on the pocket.

Edible Dreams do nice cakes in difference shapes, like cartoon characters etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 FoxyChickNic

Indeed, I should have been more specific, Edible Dreams are more novelty cakes, but still worth a look.
    Also there's a place on Barrack Street that do novelty cakes too, I can't remember the name off the bat but it's just down from the Spar and Alfie Hales there where Tom Fitzgeralds butchers used to be (showing my age now!)

Another idea would be to go down the whole cupcake road. They're very 'now' and it means everyone gets their own individual ones, they do cute little designs on them, check these out but again I'm not too sure of the price
    http://www.thebohokitchen.com/2010/04/cupcakes-for-your-next-occasion.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Hi, you could also try Greers Bakery down by the News & Star offices, we got a huuge cake for a retirement a few weeks ago and it was gorgous, iirc it was around €25 and it fed at least 15 people. You would need to order it though. Superquinn also do yummy cakes as the previous poster said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Check out The Boho Kitchen website

Another idea would be to go down the whole cupcake road. They're very 'now' and it means everyone gets their own individual ones, they do cute little designs on them, check these out but again I'm not too sure of the price
    http://www.thebohokitchen.com/2010/04/cupcakes-for-your-next-occasion.html

Yeah my cousin did something like that for her son's christening and it went down well but given the amount of savages that will be present I'm not sure if cupcakes of any size will sate them.:D
    Hi, you could also try Greers Bakery down by the News & Star offices, we got a huuge cake for a retirement a few weeks ago and it was gorgous, iirc it was around €25 and it fed at least 15 people. You would need to order it though. Superquinn also do yummy cakes as the previous poster said.

Cheers HB, sounds good I'll check it out. I wonder do any of these places do free samples to try and sway potential customers.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Go up to M&D bakery in Mount Sion Ave and they'll make one up for you and are reasonable in pricing aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Don't get a cake at all.... do something different and get cupcakes made, that's what I did for a Christening recently.

Cupcake Heaven were, ah well, heaven and there was no waste (although i had to eat around 8 - 10 cupcakes over the next few days)

They look AMAZING too but will be more expensive that a cake from Superquinn for example. If you want more info, PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Odats wrote: »
    Go up to M&D bakery in Mount Sion Ave and they'll make one up for you and are reasonable in pricing aswell.

here here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

the place in city square is not bad either

beside debenhams - just cant remember the name

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

+1 The Boho Kitchen

Really nice to work with and she does amazing stuff. Nice and fresh and she'll deliver it right out to you for free.

http://www.thebohokitchen.com
    think the number is 0879524926

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I love edible dreams, got my daughters 1st birthday cake there. We baked her 2nd birthday cake...would you try that??:D

I know a girl who has started up her own place-creative cakes, ive seen some of the pictures on her facebook and they look fab(she used to work in edible dreams)

Ended up going to Greers on Michael St because it was handiest to get to in this ridiculous weather.

Really nice staff in there so now it only remains to be seen whether the cake is as nice as them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Ended up going to Greers on Michael St because it was handiest to get to in this ridiculous weather.

Really nice staff in there so now it only remains to be seen whether the cake is as nice as them.

Cant go wrong with Greer's,if only Leahys and the green bank were still open they had the best fresh cream cakes in the country :)

Advertisement