Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have they done with all the old people?

Options
  • 19-08-2010 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Was walking down Henry Street yesterday and noticed nearly everybody seemed to be under the age of 30. There was hardly anyone over 50, let alone 70 or 80.
    Yet if you look back at old footage of Dublin in the 50s and 60s, town seemed full of auld wans and auld fellas with very few young people.
    So what have they done with all the old timers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Scare them in to thinking that it's unsafe to walk outdoors as you will most definitely be attacked?

Never really noticed this meself. Although haven't been down Henry St in a while. I usually either bypass this road on my way to the cinema or for Christmas shopping. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

People probably looked older then because of the clothes. Also, the streets are more packed with tourists and the like so it is more difficult to spot old people. Perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

tintin67 wrote: »
    Was walking down Henry Street yesterday and noticed nearly everybody seemed to be under the age of 30. There was hardly anyone over 50, let alone 70 or 80.
    Yet if you look back at old footage of Dublin in the 50s and 60s, town seemed full of auld wans and auld fellas with very few young people.
    So what have they done with all the old timers?

check out boyers restaraunt at lunchtime for oul wans :)

now that you mention it I don't think there are (m)any shops targeting that demographic on henry street

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Time of day makes a difference. The oldies tend to shop early and not dawdle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I think they have shipped them all out to Blackrock

It is like Night of the Living Dead out here with all the old people shuffling behind shopping trolleys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Isn't Wednesday pension day? They were probably all in the local post offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

cosmic wrote: »
    Isn't Wednesday pension day? They were probably all in the local post offices.

It is Thursday today isn't it? <checks calendar>

Don't do that to me cosmic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Once Bewley's closed a few years ago that finished them on Grafton St.
    I don't think it was their "cup of tea" when it reopened all jizzed up

I miss them :(:( It was always fun being in there around 8.30 am listening to their anecdotes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sundew wrote: »
    all jizzed up

:D

Did you mean 'jazzed up'? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Town is too packed for an old person. If i reach that age, i'd want to do my wandering in a less packed shopping area as you can easily get knocks in town from passers by in dense crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

WindSock wrote: »
    :D

Did you mean 'jazzed up'? :pac:

Obviously more slang I'm not up to date with :P

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

gurramok wrote: »
    Town is too packed for an old person. If i reach that age, i'd want to do my wandering in a less packed shopping area as you can easily get knocks in town from passers by in dense crowds.

Good point. I suppose that explains why more of them come out first thing in the morning when there are fewer people around. Plus if it's crime they're worried about, I guess your average scumbag isn't an early riser (except on dole day, obviously, when they're all queuing outside the post office at 8 o'clock).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

chin_grin wrote: »
    It is Thursday today isn't it? <checks calendar>

Don't do that to me cosmic!

Ah, sorry, I thought it was Wednesdays :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But the OP refers to a disappearance of old people yesterday...i.e. on a Wednesday..I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

dfx- wrote: »
    But the OP refers to a disappearance of old people yesterday...i.e. on a Wednesday..I think..

Sorry I didn't mean that there was a peculiar lack of oldsters just yesterday and only on Henry Street. i meant a general lack of old people around town every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

tintin67 wrote: »
    Was walking down Henry Street yesterday and noticed nearly everybody seemed to be under the age of 30.

you've seen Logan's Run, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

spurious wrote: »
    The oldies tend to ... not dawdle.

What?

I fecking hate town because of dawdling aul wans.

Jesus, they just stop. In the middle of the path. I've lost count of the number of old women I've nearly knocked over because of their random stopping.

Also, tiny women with umbrellas. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Des wrote: »
    What?

I fecking hate town because of dawdling aul wans.

Jesus, they just stop. In the middle of the path. I've lost count of the number of old women I've nearly knocked over because of their random stopping.

Also, tiny women with umbrellas. :mad:

The worst is when they stop at the top of escalators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've spent a lot of time in London over the past couple of years and its the same there. Hardly anyone over the age of 50 on the streets of London either, I distinctly remarked this to my friends at the time. We did meet one elderly lady who offered to assist us as we were checking our map. We said we weren't lost, just checking the map. She was lovely, and the only real cockney we met over two years! Dublin is the same, Moore Street is a foreign country now, hardly any real Dubs around anymore. May seem funny to some, and may be welcomed by others, but the end of an era to us elder lemons. And what goes round, comes round, your turn will come too mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Des wrote: »

:

+1

oh and best avatar ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

loyatemu wrote: »
    you've seen Logan's Run, right?
    Yep, I watch it while munching on some Soylent Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Yakuza wrote: »
    Yep, I watch it while munching on some Soylent Green.

Hehe, nice name-checking of crap 70s scifi movies

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Collie D wrote: »
    Hehe, nice name-checking of crap 70s scifi movies

Crap? What are you talking about, dude? :)
    I love a good old dystopian movie, me. Yes, the SFX may be cheesy but SG was ahead of its time in terms of theme. Silent Running is another fantastic movie. You can't beat the Seventies' movies for your good old unhappy ending :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Anyone there for tobacco ?
    Lighters 5 for a pound!

Advertisement