Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Casserole dish or Slow cooker!!

Options
  • 19-08-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

Im new to cooking and im trying new things, I want to cook a nice stew but seeing as im new to all this, I dont exactly have all the equipment to cook this sort of stuff in.

Now I pretty much know a half decent recipe to use but all of them say I need to put it in a casserole dish or a slow cooker and shove it in the oven. Heres the problem... I have no casserole dish and I have no slow cooker thing, just a normal electric oven! I dont have the cash to splash on anything new and plus I dont have a clue which ones are safe to buy and put in an oven in the first place!

So, can anyone tell me, is there another way I can cook this? It doesnt have to be perfect, im only just starting out so i know il be pleased with anything. Can I put it all in a deep dish, you know the ones you would put a lasagne in or is that ludicrious? Can I just leave it in a normal pan that like you'd normally cook soup in and leave it on the hob?

Please, as you can tell, Im a pure dope when it comes to this cooking lark. Any help would be much appreciated!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you have a conventional oven then the best option (in my opinion) would be a pot that you can put both on a ring on the cooker (to start off the dish by browning meat, onions etc.) and in the oven, and my money would be on a cast-iron Le Creuset style pot.

Something like this range, for example, although you can get similar, cheaper, models that aren't Le Creuset. Try Arnott's for a good selection

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/Product-Range-uk/Cast-Iron-Cookware/Casseroles/

As for using normal saucepans in the oven, that would depend on the pan itself. Things to look out for would be the handles and any non-stick coating ... some pans explicitly say they're suitable for this, and others aren't. A metal handled saucepan with no non-stick coating would be OK, but for any others you'd have to know for sure beforehand otherwise you could end up with a mess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You can cook a stew in a saucepan on the hob at a very low heat.
    So after you've browned everything, added your liquid and brought it up to a simmer, just turn down your gas/ring/plate to the lowest setting pop a lid on it and let it barely simmer - the slower the better.
    You might find that your lowest setting is a bit to hot for a very slow simmer but it won;t be the end of the world.

Yes you could use a lasagne type dish, covered in foil in the oven too.

Most saucepans will be ok in a low oven - no more than 150degC. The worry is things like plastic handles melting but at a low heat I reckon most would withstand the oven.

There's some options for you.
    Stews are a great way to learn to cook.

Le Cruset do make beautiful casseroles but they cost a fortune and are very heavy.

PS Don't use round steak for a stew (no matter what your recipe says).
    Use rib steak or, better still, shin beef.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Get a casserole dish - seriously they are just great. I cook mince, stew, chicken, everything in it. Oh, and you don't have to go out and get one of the expensive Le Creuset ones, I got mine for €12 in Tesco and its the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DaniB

Thanks a mil lads, major help! I've borrowed a casserole dish from my mum so fingers crossed all goes well!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement