Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff in the NUIG area

Options
  • 19-08-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for ideas about places of significant public interest in the university area, which are NOT on the university's interactive site-map.

So far I've got
    • Wards Store
    • Newcastle Post Office (can anyone actually pin-point it for me ... I know the general area, but exact co-ordinates would be very helpful)
    • AIB
    • the hospital (kinda hard to miss ;) )
    • the late-opening pharmacy
    But what else is around there?

NB I don't want every single business, there's too much chance of 'em changing. But it's a fine line between significant landmark/business, so open to suggestions about them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Galway United / Terryland count?

The pier at woodquay, rowing clubs, cathedral!

Edit: The post office is acrross from the Arts Millenium building entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The VEC Office in tower House (old driving test centre) between the Engineering buildings in Nun's Island and the Cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

JustMary wrote: »
    Newcastle Post Office (can anyone actually pin-point it for me ... I know the general area, but exact co-ordinates would be very helpful)

Here's a link to it on Google Maps. I can't pinpoint the exact building but if you see the horizontal lines in the middle of the road, it's the pedestrian crossing, the Post Office is just a little down and to the left as you look at the screen.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.278786,-9.063082&spn=0.000763,0.001714&t=h&z=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm looking for ideas about places of significant public interest in the university area, which are NOT on the university's interactive site-map.
    Not sure if you meant this far out but... the exact location of Dangan Sports Grounds. Maybe pin-point the different pitches. (Hockey, soccer, GAA).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Cathedral
    I mean it looks like a religious place of worship but you never know. You don't want to leave people wondering what that big stone building is planted on a big roundabout is.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

The ATM on the side of the Biochem dept is pretty useful
    The G&L Centra
    The Topaz/formerly Statoil filling station/shop. Also has ATM. Is it still 24hr?

Apparently there's a hammock in the Marine Science building?

Adelie wrote: »
    The ATM on the side of the Biochem dept is pretty useful
    The G&L Centra
    The Topaz/formerly Statoil filling station/shop. Also has ATM. Is it still 24hr?

Is still is 24 hours and you can enter the shop 24 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

The River Inn possibly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

You get a good look at Menlo if you walk down by the waterside out past Corrib Village...Salmon Wier Bridge isn't far...The Court House..Newcastle Road has that place the crooked nuns were...Mermaids is always a nice one to point out due to Freezer man...

Sancta Maria House..down on St Marys road...Marys School...

Expand your search out a bit..Circular Road has a great view of the town..even further The Pullman Restaraunt is made of the Orient Express...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Londis/Subway, Supermacs, University Pharmacy and a pub all across from the Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Here's a link to it on Google Maps. I can't pinpoint the exact building but if you see the horizontal lines in the middle of the road, it's the pedestrian crossing, the Post Office is just a little down and to the left as you look at the screen.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.278786,-9.063082&spn=0.000763,0.001714&t=h&z=19

That post office has been shut down, as far as I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

bat boy wrote: »

Oh?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

bat boy wrote: »

Newcastle PO is still business as usual.

Also, there's no longer an ATM at Topaz/formerly Statoil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

senelra wrote: »
    when did that happen? sure there's one there at AIB anyway not too far away

Newcastle PO is still business as usual.

They have moved it inside the shop.

O really? My bad! We stopped there in the car a few weeks ago and the atm was nowhere to be seen! Didn't check inside tho :o

O really? My bad! We stopped there in the car a few weeks ago and the atm was nowhere to be seen! Didn't check inside tho :o

Same as, but I did go in and it was not working! Nice blog by the way!

Nice blog by the way!

Thanks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Thanks for all that.

I should have been clearer: I've already got area maps for the Cathedral (have now put VEC on it, thanks), Dominic St, Westside and Newcastle/Dangan, (and planning one for Woodquay - there's lots of interesting things there) so really just focussing on the immediate main campus area, and maybe around into Shantalla.

Not doing ATMs ... they're wayyy too likely to move around.

River Inn is a very good point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

hey JustMary, you know of any decent mapping of the city's sluices and the canal, as you're into mapping da city & all! ;) there is one on here but the image resolution isn't high enough to read the annotations.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Is still is 24 hours and you can enter the shop 24 hours!
    Gardai have their refueling contract there so no chance of this service station getting targetted by criminals late at night. Also, the Gardai obviously need to be able to enter the shop to get coffee/food when on their breaks late at night.

ATM was moved inside and there is now a toilet (wheelchair accessible I think) in behind where the outdoor ATM used to be (blue door where the railing is). You have to ask to use it in the shop and they buzz you in when you go outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for but these steps/stairs near the Sports Centre provide access to the NUIG campus from the Northern footpath on the Quincentennial Bridge. They're not on the interactive map..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

KevR wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for but these steps/stairs near the Sports Centre provide access to the NUIG campus from the Northern footpath on the Quincentennial Bridge. They're not on the interactive map..
    The last time I was down them steps I was going to a game of football on the field near there. It seems to be a carpark now.

jkforde wrote: »
    hey JustMary, you know of any decent mapping of the city's sluices and the canal, as you're into mapping da city & all! ;) there is one on here but the image resolution isn't high enough to read the annotations.

I think John Cleary's yer man for that sort of thing.

Until someone starts a scheduled paddle-steamer route ;) up the river then I'm not taking much notice of it, maps for me are just a way of communicating where stuff is.

KevR wrote: »

Very good and useful point, thank you.

Will need to think about how and where to represent them, but definitely a good thing to include.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

The last time I was down them steps I was going to a game of football on the field near there. It seems to be a carpark now.
    that map needs to be updated. the new engineering building is supposed to be there :) the carpark nearest the steps is gone now. dunno about the one above it. i'm never up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

whiteman19 wrote: »
    that map needs to be updated. the new engineering building is supposed to be there :) the carpark nearest the steps is gone now. dunno about the one above it. i'm never up there.
    Call 1800 Microsoft, tell them to get a satellite out there rapid :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

what about cheap places to eat? the students must be rolling in cash if they can afford to eat every day in the canteen.
    college bar food slightly cheaper.

Advertisement