Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ready to Buy, final advice on case+gpu

Options
  • 19-08-2010 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Following my previous thread i managed to get a buyer for my old PC, so Heres my build from HWVS

Intel Core i7-870 8192kb 2.93 GHz
    Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2, Intel P55, mATX, DDR3, PCI-Express
    4 GB-Kit Corsair DDR PC1600 C9 Classic
    Xigmatek Utgard window ATX red/black see through case
    Wintech card reader
    OCZ StealthXstream 600W
    XFX Radeon HD 5770 850M 1GB DDR5
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SataII ST31000330AS
    LG CH1OLS20 Blu-Ray ROm Drive
    Creative SB X-FI Xtreme Audio PCI-E
    D-Link Ethernet Adapater

Comes to around 900 euro including self build by them. Budget is around 1000.

Im not sure about the case or the graphics card

Help plz! Im really looking for top range components + future proof

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Where are you buying from?
    With that budget you should be able to get a nice rig.

Do you need an operating system?

I'm not a fan of Ocz psu's as had a couple with isses.
    Corsair are a very good brand imo.

Xfx are meant to have awful support so i would avoid that brand.

I would save some money and get an i5 750/760 and overclock it (with an aftermarket cooler).
    Unless you need the Hyperthreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i agree with all that was just said go i5 and get a better mobo the one you picked is mainly used for i3 budget builds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

massy086 wrote: »
    i agree with all that was just said go i5 and get a better mobo the one you picked is mainly used for i3 budget builds

What mobo and i5 should i get? Is there better gpus available too?

game4it70 wrote: »
    Where are you buying from?
    With that budget you should be able to get a nice rig.

Do you need an operating system?

I'm not a fan of Ocz psu's as had a couple with isses.
    Corsair are a very good brand imo.

Xfx are meant to have awful support so i would avoid that brand.

I would save some money and get an i5 750/760 and overclock it (with an aftermarket cooler).
    Unless you need the Hyperthreading.

Buying from hardware versand.de

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

were you buying win 7 with that

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »
    were you buying win 7 with that

Nah, i dont buy operating systems :)

I`ll probably install windows 7 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

nuxxx wrote: »
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SataII ST31000330AS

Go for 7200.12. Some of the 7200.11s were seriously dodgy (fixed with firmware, but just in case there's old ones floating around). Also the 11s have 4 platters, the 12s have 2.

Edit: The 7200.12 1TB is even cheaper than the 7200.11 on hwv by €18!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Monotype wrote: »
    Go for 7200.12. Some of the 7200.11s were seriously dodgy (fixed with firmware, but just in case there's old ones floating around). Also the 11s have 4 platters, the 12s have 2.

+1. The "tsetse fly" (0x0000CC) error message bug (that invariably led to the drive's death, usually on next reboot) is an infamous and dreaded hallmark of the .11s :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    +1. The "tsetse fly" (0x0000CC) error message bug (that invariably led to the drive's death, usually on next reboot) is an infamous and dreaded hallmark of the .11s :o

What gpu would you recommend solitaire? Also what motherboard. I really dont want to make any mistakes :o

The GTX 460 is the best value for midrange at the moment with them selling as low as €170 at hwv for the 768MB version, but the 5770 is good if you need to save a little extra.

Do you have any specific needs/wants for the motherboard? mATX? USB 3?

• Advertisement

The GTX 460 is the best value for midrange at the moment with them selling as low as €170 at hwv for the 768MB version, but the 5770 is good if you need to save a little extra.

Do you have any specific needs/wants for the motherboard? mATX? USB 3?

One where i can OC stuff and have lots of storage slots for ram, thats about it really. DDR3 of course

I want a high end gpu by the way, or is that not possible for less than 250 euro

nuxxx wrote: »
    One where i can OC stuff and have lots of storage slots for ram, thats about it really. DDR3 of course

I want a high end gpu by the way, or is that not possible for less than 250 euro

Get the 1GB 460 so. They're about €220 and perform just under a 5850.

Edit: Actually that's not a great looking board that I picked. Is eSATA important? How much of the budget is left towards this?

Edit: Actually that's not a great looking board that I picked. Is eSATA important? How much of the budget is left towards this?

Hi Monotype.

Read a few reviews of that card, very impressed by the performance and price.

I suppose it would be nice to have a esata port but its not critical.

Price isnt that important, but want a good value top of the range mobo

Cheers.

How about the ASUS P7P55D-E? It has USB3, SATA 6Gbps, eSATA and some decent overclocking features.
    The main thing to note is that that second PCI-E slot only runs at x4, so if you think you'll be wanting more than one graphics card down the road, consider getting evo/premium/deluxe versions (which also feature dual ethernet and a couple of extra cables according to the asus compare site).

Keep your eyes open, I've seen them for €200 on Pix and I'm pretty sure there's at least some cheaper than €220 somewhere on HWVS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Or you could buy my 5850 for 200 from adverts!

SHAMELESS I KNOW!

Solitaire wrote: »
    Keep your eyes open, I've seen them for €200 on Pix and I'm pretty sure there's at least some cheaper than €220 somewhere on HWVS :)

That was just at a quick glance down the prices. I saw one at 210, one at 224 and another at 230, so I thought I'd average out the price to give an idea. Of course, I didn't see the one for €198.

Nice. But HWVS is very short on Palit stock right now... :o

Advertisement