Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert study:revisewise, rapid revision or less stress more success books?

• 19-08-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

revisewise, rapid revision or less stress more success books? which ones are better for leaving cert. higher level. I was going to buy some but they all look the same to me!

any recommendations?:o:D:P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Less Stress are useless. Avoid them, look at the other ones before you buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

A lot of our teachers are telling us not to get them for next year, saying that they're a waste of money and they notes we make and the help they give us are a lot more beneficial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

It depends on the subject, and if you're a good note-taker you wouldn't need them at all.

Having said that, Rapid Revision for Physics pretty much gave me an A2. I love that book!

Also I really liked Folens Essential Revision Guide to LC HL Maths. It's not actually a revision book per se and I'd imagine it would be pretty useless to most people. It only helped me because I'm terribly disorganised! It's sort of like a study plan. Also it was handy to look up very quickly how to solve specific operations.

If you do Accounting, my teacher swore by the book by Revise Wise. I preferred Rapid Revision myself. Less Stress More Success tends to be useless for most subjects, and very much so for Accounting.

I suggest that you go to a bookshop and take a look at what each of the revision books in the subjects you do is like. Bear in mind that they're all gonna have the same material your text book already offers, so if you can condense that down yourself, you've got a better chance of remembering it.

EDIT: Less Stress for maths isn't all that good for revision, but it's great if you don't know how to do something, as reference material. Everything is step by step. If you can get it off someone, or for very cheap, then it's worth it. Otherwise, not really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

It depends what subject and what book you already have, my teachers reccommended less stress for higher maths and rapid revision for chemistry.
    I presume your going into 5th or 6th year now, don't get anything yet, wait until your back a while and see what sort of notes your teacher is giving you and how the book is going as you may not need any of them.
    Ask the teacher of the subject which she would reccommend before getting one because in some subjects like maths there would be different ways of doing each sum and some of the revision books might do it in a different way than what your teacher has taught you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

It depends on the subject. Very few (if any) will completely cover the course, the same as text books (you should check the syllabus about this). As a general rule of thumb Less Stress More Success are outdated and pretty useless. Revise Wise are better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement