Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sigma 8-16 MM

• 19-08-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

does anyone have one ? I am looking for an ultra-wide zoom and this seems to fit the bill...

it's either that or get a 5D MKII and use my 17-40...decisions decisions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I have the Canon 15mm fisheye.

You're welcome to give it a spin if it's something you're interested in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

5dmk1?

15mm fisheye is superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

thanks lads, but its not a fisheye i am looking for. the sigma lens is rectilinear

Ah, sorry, I misread your post, I thought you meant either the Sigma 8mm or 16mm, didn't realise there was a UWA zoom :)

Well if you want to see your 17-40 on the MKII, let me know.

thanks for the offer Al, but I am going to London in the morning so I'll be buying either tomorrow or Saturday so no time to try it out beforehand...

thing is, I've been hoping to go full frame eventually so it makes sense to get the 5DMKII now rather than a crop-frame lens and then have to sell both camera and lens down the line. I currently have a 17-40, a 50 1.4, a 100 2.8 and a 70-200 f4, all of which will fit (and perform hopefully) nicely on the full frame. That also leave the door open for a 24-105 or a 24-70 sometime in the future, neither of which are wide enough on the 50D.

It's all down to the missus now, since she'll be paying for some of it :eek:

• Advertisement

No probs!

You're right though, you'd be better off getting the full frame now, rather than wheeling and dealing further down the line.

Keep her happy ;)

if only it were that easy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

here is one good review of it - http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/sigma_8-16mm_review_vs_12-24.htm

I second what Al said, move on to full frame. 17-40 will be as good as it gets. and i thought my 24-70 is wide enough on a 5D.

I ended up buying a 5D mkII in dixons in the airport dixons for 1932 euros, which compared very favohrably with the 2080 that calumet in london were charging. battery is charging at the moment and i can't wait to bring it for a spin

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement