Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most overplayed/irritating song on the radio?

• 19-08-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I work in an office where unfortunate reception conditions mean we only get one radio station properly. This one radio station has been playing a particular song to death for the last three or four months. I hear it at least once every day, more often twice and on numberous occasions have been subjected to its dreadfulness three times within one working day. I was off for a week recently and held out the vain hope that there might be less of this song on the radio when I came back but no, I've already heard it twice today.So, what is the apalling tune in question - it's Rude Boy, Rihanna's song that contains such witty lyrics as 'C'mon Rude Boy Boy can you get it up, c'mon Rude Boy Boy is you big enough?' and 'Tonight I'm going to let you be the rider'.Do radio stations get payments for playing particular tunes? I can only imagine that this station is getting paid handsome dividends for continuing to overplay this tune. Even regardless of my hating it anyway, this singer has had at least two other releases since that they rarely seem to play. I have left a couple of posts on this station's FB page questioning (in a rational and non-abusive way) their overplaying of this tune, but clearly they are not receptive to any kind of criticisms as the remarks have always been removed.I have also heard other songs being overplayed - Usher, Timbaland, Blackeye Peas and Shakira being in that category at the moment - but this is definitely for me the most overplayed of all.I was wondering what other tunes people are hearing way too often and what radio stations are the worst offenders? Oh, the station in question that I refer to is FM104, but I'm quite sure others are just as bad. How I wish for Phantom FM in this office on a daily basis...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

lyverbird1 wrote: »
    . How I wish for Phantom FM in this office on a daily basis...

Believe me, you'd soon get sick of Phantom too.......same playlist every fu**ing day with the one daily "pull a song out of the hat" track.....yawnfest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mumford and Sons - Overplayed

Plan B - Overplayed

Rhianna and Eminem - Overplayed

Two Door Cinema Club - Overplayed

God bless the person who invented mp3 players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

"Pack up yer troubles in yer own kit bag and...."Yawn!

You'd think that with so much time dedicated to talk on Irish radio that they'd manage to shuffle the music a bit more. After all between 9am and 2 on most stations it's 90% talk 10% music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭barakus

Couldnt read your big wall of text there OP but 'example-Kickstart' is one of the most irritating overplayed songs around at the moment in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Can't say now but not too long ago I think everyone will agree the most overplayed song was 'Don't Stop Believin' by Journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

California girls by katy perry, all two door cinema club, little lion man by mumford and sons, i gotta feeling black eyed peas and rhianna eminem song. If i flick stations in space of 5 mins at least one of these songs are on.

Phantom not much better, red hot chillies all the time :( the same songs played more by ms doherty than tony fenton, and we all know he has about 6 songs\artists he always plays every day.

I think its near impossible to avoid this repetition when you are stuck listening to the one station in work. I've heard same scroobius pip song an hour apart on phantom the other day. I'd tuned in to that station coz i'd heard that rhianna eminem song twice in am hour on another station! Shame some jobs dont allow you to use mp3 during working hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you know one of the joys of listening to the test signal for radio nova is they plays stuff that hasnt been on since the 80s

none of your rihannas on there !

:)

really did highlight to me how the rest of the music stations are pretty much playing the same old shyte though.

nothing does my head in more than a station proclaiming they dont play the same old music, and then immediatly proceding to do just that.

a bit of creativity in the schedualing wouldnt go amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

thalia_13 wrote: »
    California girls by katy perry, all two door cinema club, little lion man by mumford and sons, i gotta feeling black eyed peas and rhianna eminem song. If i flick stations in space of 5 mins at least one of these songs are on.

Phantom not much better, red hot chillies all the time :( the same songs played more by ms doherty than tony fenton, and we all know he has about 6 songs\artists he always plays every day.

I think its near impossible to avoid this repetition when you are stuck listening to the one station in work. I've heard same scroobius pip song an hour apart on phantom the other day. I'd tuned in to that station coz i'd heard that rhianna eminem song twice in am hour on another station! Shame some jobs dont allow you to use mp3 during working hours!

+1 , kary perry - california girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

The Coronas. God they are SO bad. Seem to get played a load.

Such rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

The Killers - Are We Human Or Are We Dancer?

Answer: We are Human.
    Now stop playing that f*cking song twenty-five times a second!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

can you not get radio over the internet? the "music" stations all seem to play the same crap which is usually ads and the dj talking too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That poxy ‘hey soul sister’ song. Dunno who it’s by but it’s like a nail behind the eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

irishh_bob wrote: »
    +1 , kary perry - california girls

They keep playing that in one of the canteens where I work.

The chorus sounds like a cat giving birth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Can't say now but not too long ago I think everyone will agree the most overplayed song was 'Don't Stop Believin' by Journey

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Internet radios ftw.

As for the overplayed song, then shower of beatniks Mumford and Sons always have me stubbing the off button with great eagerness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

you know one of the joys of listening to the test signal for radio nova is they plays stuff that hasnt been on since the 80sQUOTE]

Heard the non-radio edit of FLC's Scooby snax the other day on Nova at 10.30.....................in the Mother Fu**ing morning..brilliant D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

Having just looked back at this thread, I sadly realise that most of the songs mentioned are still being overplayed, particularly Katy Perry.

I'm happy to say that Rude Boy is featuring a little less on the FM 104 playlist but we still have to endure her whine in the Eminem duet.

I can now drop Phantom FM from the wish list in favour of Radio Nova - yes, they do play a fair amount of the cheesy side of rock but it's great to hear some proper rock oldies once again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

lyverbird1 wrote: »
    but it's great to hear some proper rock oldies once again...

....and again, and again. and again.....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

bbc 6music. the solution to all those problems.

ye might just have to buy a little pair of speakers for the computer though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

There's always a "Song of the Summer" every year and this year it happened to that Katy Perry/Snoop Dawg tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Eminem & Rihanna - Extremely Overplayed

Brandon Flowers - Overplayed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

"Pack Up" is definitely one of the most irritating songs this year!

Good thing I have my CD walkman with me wherever I go - so I can block it out with Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

"Pack Up" is definitely one of the most irritating songs this year!

Good thing I have my CD walkman with me wherever I go - so I can block it out with Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells...

i love tubular bells !!"Mandolin" !!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Dunno about "overplayed" as it's just appeared in (high) rotation (oh, it'll get there...!) but "Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)" has to be THE single most annoying/irritating song I've heard all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

If you listen to Beatfm you will hear this every hour without fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Those black eyed fucking peas. I wish cancer upon them and anyone who plays their brain pulsingly annoying brand of sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

longshanks wrote: »
    Those black eyed fucking peas. I wish cancer upon them and anyone who plays their brain pulsingly annoying brand of sound.

Their popularity just absolutely baffles me. They are one of the worst, if the not THE worst shower of tone deaf asshats releasing "music" today. Its scary to think there are people out there who would actually buy a CD of theirs or waste their money going to see them live (remember the World Cup opening concert??? *shudder*). Its like they sit a child down with some crayons to write the lyrics, then brainstorm how the make the song as irritating and musically soulless as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Those peas know NOTHING about black eyes!! But by Jebus if I met one a dem after a day of them ear raping me I'd learn 'em real good, black eyes all round until they started to release their music via the medium of mime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Rihanna is majorly overplayed, she must have 3 or 4 songs currently in the charts, that one with Eminem is played to death on Red FM (at least once every two hours) which i am forced to listen to at work. She sings in the manner of a person who has a pineapple wedged up their hole. Pure torture.

Special mention too to Brandon Flowers, not matter what station i flick to he'll be on it. His solo stuff is even worse than the Killers rubbish he produced.

Finally, has anyone noticed the total saturation of radio with black american r'n'b "artists"? The likes of Jason Derullo, Kayne West, etc. These days every second song on the air seems to be this kind of muck and its oh so irritating. Talentless gimps the lot of em. Its amazing what passes for music these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement