If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sounds system for small spaces

Options
  • 19-08-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Am in the market for a sound system to fit in the living room in a small cottage. Currently we've a TV, UPC HD box and a wii. What I'd like is a set of speakers and an amp to run all the components through. Due to space/small dog I'd rather not have wires running around the room - I think 2 speakers would be plenty, but preferably not too bulky. I've all my music on the laptop/mp3 player (Creative) so would like to be able to play them on this too. And while I'm at it, we should also get a DVD player. It doesn't all need to be top of the range but would like something that will last.

Secondly, my sister has just moved house and as a lurker here I was singing your praises;) She's looking for a flat screen tv for wall mounting - probably 32" but no harm quoting for 37" also. She's also looking for a simple hi-fi system/i-pod dock with radio.

Am based in Dublin so can collect some of the above from the Philips store. Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Nicola on behalf of Ash:

Hey Macinalli,

For your sister how about the 32PFL5605 LED LCD - This is retailing at €699.99 but with you Philips Shop Boards 10% Discount that would come to €629.99. This is a great little set with 100Hz and the LED lighting makes it a lovely bright panel.

Or the 37PFL5405 - This is a non LED LCD so the picture is a little duller but the good news is that its €699.99 so with your Philips Shop Boards 10% Discount that comes to €629.99.

She can check them both out on http://www.philipsshop.ie/fiveseries.htm

And the DCM292 is just in. This is a gorgeous wall mountable CD / iDock / FM Tuner. Its retailing at €179.99 but of course your Philips Shop Boards 10% Discount will drop that price to €161.99.

She can also see the rest of our idock range at http://www.philipsshop.ie/idockpage.htm

Thanks a mil and let me know what she reckons, Nicola. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Just giving this a bump. Nicola has answered about the tv/dock but am v keen to get the amp/speakers sorted. Any help appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Macinalli

The guys in Richer are still catching up with Boardie questions - their Boardie peoples have either been on holiday or in hospital recently....(the former wasnt a precursor to the later...)

Have a chat with them on 0044 333 900 0070 one of the lads will be able to guide you on the HiFi side of things.

cheers
    Ash

Just giving this a bump - think it got lost in the great power outage! Some options on amp/speakers that don't take up much space would be appreciated:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Macinali.

Thankfully our power returned and we're still catching up !

Are you just looking for an amp & speakers or would you like a CD player, radio and amp in a single unit ?

Are you wall mounting the speakers ?

What sort of music do you listen to ?

Sorry this seems like the Spanish Inquisition, but there are so many options that it's sometimes better to narrow it down a little.

Cheers

Dave

• Advertisement

Hi Dave,
    Cheers for the reply. To answer your questions:

I hadn't considered a cd/radio/amp. At this stage most of my music is on my laptop/mp3 player. Given the choice I think I'd prefer to invest any extra €s into a better amp/speaker combo rather than adding a cd player etc.

As for the speakers, no, I won't be wall mounting them - the layout of the room doesn't really support that. Also I don't think the tall floorstanding speakers would go down well with the missus. Space really is the key thing here - something with a small footprint would definitelty be the best option. Not sure where that leaves us!

On the music front, like most people I'd be a bit of a mixed bag. Lately it seems to be a lot of electronic stuff but also classical and occasionally some noisy rocky stuff. If it helps, the last cd I bought was Infra by Max Richter and can't seem to stop playing it!

Hope that helps!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

macinalli wrote: »
    Hi Dave,
    Cheers for the reply. To answer your questions:

I hadn't considered a cd/radio/amp. At this stage most of my music is on my laptop/mp3 player. Given the choice I think I'd prefer to invest any extra €s into a better amp/speaker combo rather than adding a cd player etc.

As for the speakers, no, I won't be wall mounting them - the layout of the room doesn't really support that. Also I don't think the tall floorstanding speakers would go down well with the missus. Space really is the key thing here - something with a small footprint would definitelty be the best option. Not sure where that leaves us!

On the music front, like most people I'd be a bit of a mixed bag. Lately it seems to be a lot of electronic stuff but also classical and occasionally some noisy rocky stuff. If it helps, the last cd I bought was Infra by Max Richter and can't seem to stop playing it!

Hope that helps!

Mac,

thanks for the post & apologies for the delay getting back to you.

Here are a few options for you to consider!

Cambridge Audio AM1 Amplifier - £79.95 with Boston BACS26 speakers - Retail should be £280 - Boardie special price = £199.95.

Denon PMA 510Ae Amplifier with Monitor Audio BX1 Speakers (Brand new model) Retail should be £430 - Boardie price £299.95

If you wanted to spoil yourself ;):

How about going for the retro styled (built like a Hi-fi used to be made!) Yamaha AS700

picture.php?albumid=1057&pictureid=7304

With the brand new 5 star reviewed Monitor Audio BX2 speakers - again this system should retail at £750 - Boardie special price including Shipping just £499.95 (34% saving!)

Keep me posted if anyy of these are interesting - or if we need to get straight back to the drawing board ...

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi again.

Just on the back of John's posting......

Have you considered the Marantz CR502. I know this is a combination unit but at the moment, these are generating a lot of interest in terms of the sound quality, not so much on the features.

This is a compact unit and we could do you a system price on a pair of Monitor Audio BX1 (£179.95) speakers which are also pretty compact.

Take a look and these in terms of dimensions and let me know if this hits the target.

Cheers

Dave

Hi folks,

I was about to plump for the Denon PMA 510e with the Monitor Audio BX1 speakers but Dave's suggestion looks good. Could you give me a price for the Marantz with the BX1's? I also had a peek at the Marantz spec but wasn't clear on how many inputs it can take (UPC box, DVD, etc) - could you let me know?

Also, I was wondering about cables - can you advise on these also?

Cheers!

The Marantz has 2 analogue inputs on the rear and one input on the front of the unit (for MP3 player) etc.

PM Sent.

Cheers

Dave

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.