Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Useful Symbian Smartphone Apps

Options
  • 19-08-2010 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows of any useful Symbain smartphone apps

Personally, I'm using a Nokia e63 but all I have installed is:
    Ebuddy
    Google Maps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Few more here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59777565&postcount=29

Sign into ovi and it will offer you apps for the E63

• Registered Users Posts: 25,464 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

'Useful Symbian apps' sounds like '101 uses for a dead cat'. I bought an E55 last April and my trouble is that I also have an iTouch, the comparison is painful to observe. Apart from gmail I don't use the E55 for anything you could remotely refer to as an app. I tried to get my Google calendar on to the E55 but the E55 supports a thing called ActiveSync instead of Mail for Exchange and nobody (even on the official Nokia forum) seems to be able to get the calendar to sync with the E55.

I looked at that boards list of apps, there is a large number which will work on J2ME phones, take them out and you're left with a sadly small number of true Symbian apps. I'm switching to Android on my next upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

Talkonaut
    Nokia Field Test application (bit of trouble to install)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

coylemj wrote: »
    'Useful Symbian apps' sounds like '101 uses for a dead cat'. I bought an E55 last April and my trouble is that I also have an iTouch, the comparison is painful to observe. Apart from gmail I don't use the E55 for anything you could remotely refer to as an app. I tried to get my Google calendar on to the E55 but the E55 supports a thing called ActiveSync instead of Mail for Exchange and nobody (even on the official Nokia forum) seems to be able to get the calendar to sync with the E55.

I looked at that boards list of apps, there is a large number which will work on J2ME phones, take them out and you're left with a sadly small number of true Symbian apps. I'm switching to Android on my next upgrade.

Bleh.

Most of the apps for Apple iProducts just send a HTTP request to some server and display the result on the screen, no more useful than a shortcut to a mobile website. So many are just decorations/gimmicks or "flashlights"

all are vetted by apple and disapproved if they have a chance of doing anything that might upset the phone network or apple's revenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

got an e63 as well 'roadsync' grand for email and google calendar sync, 'mr lock' timed locking of phone, 'blackballer' filters unwanted texts & callers and 'battery extender' which does improve battery life. Also a good alternative to ovi is a site called getjar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,464 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bleh.

Most of the apps for Apple iProducts just send a HTTP request to some server and display the result on the screen, no more useful than a shortcut to a mobile website. So many are just decorations/gimmicks or "flashlights"

If you're saying that the iPhone is a glorified web browser then I'm sorry I'd have to disagree.

There are hundreds of iPhone apps which download data which you can read offline like the news apps from the BBC, Irish Indo, Irish Times, UK Indo, UK Telegraph, NY Times, USA Today and CNN. There are FX currency converters from XE and OANDA which work offline, the TV Guide and Irish cinema listings apps also work offline and who could forget the Denny sausages sizzling on the iPhone frying pan and the B & Q idiots guide to DIY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

lads, this thread is about symbian apps. please stick to it. thanks

Advertisement