Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Technology / Sound Engineering

Options
  • 19-08-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi, my brother who just turned 23 this year (therefore not a mature student as of 1st Jan 2010), had applied to NUI Maynooth to do Music Technology. Music is not just something he wants to do, it is his passion. Every aspect of it since he was a young child is interesting to him. He is a drummer, a guitarist, a singer, an electronic music producer, a DJ, amongst many other things. Our mother is a long time qualified music teacher & practitioner herself, so he inherited the aptitude for it from her no doubt.

After his leaving cert many years ago he didn't get on too well and just couldn't face repeating so he went working in everything/anything he could get to earn a living. Throughout various jobs he worked in, it became clear that he needed to find something to put his musical talent/interest to work. Since he didn't do well in the LC, he knew he had to find some stepping stones to get in to college.

So he applied and was accepted to do a PLC in Music Technology. This year he completed the course and did very well (as we all expected). His course tutors brought the Music Technology degree in NUIM to his attention and supported his application. Unfortunately he found out last week that he didn't get a place, as the number of places for Non-Traditional students is quite low and he wouldn't be considered a mature applicant just yet. Also to add insult to injury, he has gone as far as he can with his PLC, so now he's in limbo between there and getting in to college.

Right now I feel terrible for him, because with his PLC he felt like for once he was actually proving to the world that he has brains and talent and just needed an avenue to express it. What I want to do is help him find something else that will bring him that little bit further over the next year. He definitely plans to apply to NUIM again next year (this time as a mature student), but in the mean time both he and I think that he should use the coming academic year to do something that will stand to his CV and boost his application even more next year.

What I am asking here I suppose, is for advice as to what he should/could do. Preferably a 1yr course that he could still apply for. Money or Location is not a primary concern, but Galway City would be a great bonus. He just doesn't want to sit twiddling his thumbs until he can apply to NUIM again next year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

The first thing I would do if I were him is contact the college and find out what aspects of his application impressed them and where it let him down.
    they should be more than willing to talk to him about this, then at least he knows what experience he needs and what he should do this year to stand a better chance next year.

Advertisement