Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling in the rain....

• 19-08-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Yay or nay....? Looks like its gonna rain tonight and I really want to go for a spin... but I'm just gonna get destroyed... I 'll feel bad if I don't go though.... dilema...

Thoughts...?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Fender76 wrote: »
    I really want to go for a spin
    Thoughts...?

Theres your answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

stay inside and have a nice safe warm and dry game of tiddlywinks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Could be time to dust of the turbo, not. I brought the bike to work so I'll be cycling home for sure this evening and then going on a spin with the club.

Spray yourself with some of this:
    htfuys6.jpg?w=224&h=300

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It summer rain. its not like its winter rain thats freezing w/snow, you'll be fine

Yep, summertime rain is grand mostly. Was lashing rain there yesterday when I was leaving work, got soaked when I left work, was dry by the time I got home.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Could be time to dust of the turbo, not. I brought the bike to work so I'll be cycling home for sure this evening and then going on a spin with the club.

Spray yourself with some of this:
    htfuys6.jpg?w=224&h=300
    Captain

He/she's a wimp for asking the question. No amount of magic spray will change that ...:D

And for the OP's benefit, I'll be cycling home tonight, whatever the weather. The rain doesn't bother me (can keep me cool in the summer months), and I'll have a bit of a tailwind tonight to help me on my way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Okay.. I'm sensing something here...!

You're right.. I need to grow a pair and get out on the bike...

.. which is what i'm going to do...

Thanks for the ass kick...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just don't forget your overshoes. I can handle anything but soggy footwear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Just take your lights with you and beware of the pot hole and man hole covers.
    Once you are wet you are wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

naaaa thats all bad advice. stay at home and wait for a dry day

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fender76 wrote: »

Thanks for the ass kick...!
    Now if you fall off or catch your death of cold don't come crying to us .....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I Don't mind getting wet when out cycling, but rolling the bike out of the garage and past the car on a rainy morning is a bit tougher. takes a bit longer to get the head into the right place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

That's easy:
    1. Look out window and see rain.
    2. Get dressed in all your rain gear.
    3. Wander around the house for 10 min getting too darned hot.
    4. Head out with the bike and it'll be a nice bit of cooling to enjoy...

ah is this not all bull scutter? is noone willin to admit that they're like me and wont go out on the bike if its rainin? i wont go out if its been rainin at any stage in the day.... or if it rained heavy the day before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ah is this not all bull scutter? is noone willin to admit that they're like me and wont go out on the bike if its rainin? i wont go out if its been rainin at any stage in the day.... or if it rained heavy the day before

no..in Ireland you'd barely ever get out taking that approach. If its snowing or there's hailstones it requires some further reflection but i was out on some club spins earlier in the year in that too...

no..in Ireland you'd barely ever get out taking that approach. If its snowing or there's hailstones it requires some further reflection but i was out on some club spins earlier in the year in that too...

ah club spins are a different thing. i was talkin about goin out on your own. its easy when your not the only feckin eejit out in it

i think i might put on me rain cape so this evenin and go for a spin.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/stillorgan/683128039392212809

gointa do that spin. anyone want to come and give out about the rain for an hour n a half?

usualyl takes me about the hour n a hlaf average around 16-17 mph (probably alot closer to 16)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Heading home from working in Leixip later on my commuting bike - 24kms.

Will get something to eat and change clothes, then out for a spin on the road bike up the mountains. Don't care if it's raining, bikes need a clean anyway :)

i think i might put on me rain cape so this evenin and go for a spin.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/stillorgan/683128039392212809

gointa do that spin. anyone want to come and give out about the rain for an hour n a half?

usualyl takes me about the hour n a hlaf average around 16-17 mph (probably alot closer to 16)
    What time you planning on heading at?

joker77 wrote: »
    What time you planning on heading at?

earlish. around 5 or before it. finished up in work here at half 4

• Advertisement

earlish. around 5 or before it. finished up in work here at half 4
    No worries, have to give it a miss so - will only be getting home around half 6.

Enjoy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

About to cycle home now - in the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Just about to leave Citywest and looking out the window the wind looks awful, I think I would prefer wet and calm to dry and windy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Just about to leave Citywest and looking out the window the wind looks awful, I think I would prefer wet and calm to dry and windy.

+ 1

The rain definitely makes me go faster!

The Garmin recorded an average speed of 65.5kph (max 102kph) on the commute home tonight. I know there was a bit of a tailwind, but ...

I suspect the rain got to it:(. The Garmin recorded exactly twice the normal distance, but the other computer showed the correct speed of just under 33kph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i dont have any rain gear. should that put me off going out in the rain????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

keane=cock wrote: »
    i dont have any rain gear. should that put me off going out in the rain????

Cut three holes in a bin liner. There's a recession on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well I lost my cycling in the rain virginity this evening - new jacket worked out fine - guess I need those over shoe thingy's someone mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Gilet and sandals for me. No need to worry about overshoes...

• Advertisement

It didn't really rain but I went down to Aldi before I left work and bought a base layer thingy for €13 or €14 and I was nice and toasty on the way home and on the club spin, bang for the buck.

im givin up the bike! unless i win the lotto and can move to spain.

Got absolutely soaked on my hour spin back from Leixlip to Dundrum. Driving headwind and rain coming down through Ballyfermot - one of those moments where you're getting blasted in the face and you can help yourself shouting 'AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH' at the top of your voice. Anyone? or just me?

Was too wet and cold when I got home to head back out.

i never shout like that, i just whimper a bit then turn around n go home

i never shout like that, i just whimper a bit then turn around n go home
    Unfortunately I was about 20kms from home, and just had to suck it up and keep pedalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

I really dislike cycling in the rain. But as I don't drive there isn't really an alternative.
    What would you recomend as good rain gear? Something I can just pop on over my clothes...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I really dislike cycling in the rain. But as I don't drive there isn't really an alternative.
    What would you recomend as good rain gear? Something I can just pop on over my clothes...?

Depends on your bike. If you have decent mudguards then it's not much different from walking, apart from the extra thigh exposure and need to keep cool.

I use waterproof shorts (Gore Alp-X) for wet commuting in winter, with or without mudguards. This has attracted some mockery, but this is water off a goretex-covered duck's arse to me.

id say if its just for cycling to work or somethin lidl are doin cyclin clothes from next week i think and they've got a rain jacket. not sure how much it is but their stuff is usually cheap. or if you want the pants and all to be rain proof just get the cheap rain gear in tescos or dunnes.

i bought a jacket on chain reactions for the sister there yesterday http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39807 17 euro and it looks grand. i fitted it on meself and i dunno what the difference between the mens and womens one is but the womens one fitted me grand (womens large = mens medium)

unless your a pro and youve won the lotto i wouldnt bother with any of the ones you see for more than 20 cuid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

Thanks mark,
    Ya I don't want to spend a fortune on stuff. I'll have a look on that website.

Advertisement