Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Admin Courses???

Options
  • 19-08-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭

I know you'll say search the threads, i have but i dont have a clue where to begin :(

I'm looking to get into Network Admin, Just if anyone has advice on where to start, Night time study of course, still need the cash coming in..

Theres so many choices but havent a clue what is what? If its advanced or beginner :(

Where does one start, and whats after and so on....Microsoft??? Cisco?? Both??? Whats all this A and C stuff is it related to networking??

Any info would be much appreciated

P.S - Sorry for being a noob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tonto2010

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

It always helps to tell people where you are now. (18 years old in College, 48 changing career etc.) It does help people provide better answers for you.

Not being Smart but by Network admin do you mean someone who looks after a Company's Network (Just Networking Equipment) or do you mean someone who looks after a Company's Servers, Applications, Networking etc. The latter is what you would/could call as Systems or Server admin. Still, some people starting off think they are both the same.

If you want to get into pure networking, starting from scratch, with little or no experience, you should start with the basics, thats is, do a Comptia Network + course.

If/when you pass that, then have a look at the Cisco ICND1 or CCENT exams, which is basically the Cisco CCNA broken up into two separate manageable chunks (exams\courses). The Cisco CCNA is the entry level certification for the Cisco suite of exams.

Going down the Cisco path is by far the easiest way to get certified in Networking, with arguable the most recognised Networking company.

You can of course, go down other networking paths and do some Fortinet or JuneOS exams\courses but by the time you have passed your CCNA, you will know so much more about exactly what it is you are trying to do.

Dont bother with Microsoft (for the moment) if you want to do pure networking.
    Whats all this A and C stuff is it related to networking??
    Ive no idea what you mean here, sorry.

Again, Start off with the Network + (Self Study then do the exam).
    Once completed, start looking at the Cisco ICND & CCENT exams\courses. You can self study both of these aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

I'd say the Network+ is a good place to start. Even if you decieded not to do the exam at the end.

It would be best to get a couple of old PC's, I have some for €40 but check out the "Free Stuff" section on here. More or less any PII would do. You can get a 6 month trial version of XP Pro with some of the Microsoft books for the 70-271 / 70-272 exams. A home version of Windows can't be joined to a "Domain". You can download a trial of server 2008 from the MS site.

You could shell out €80-€100 for a Cisco "managed" switch. For the Network+ a simple un-managed one should do. You can just use an old broadband DSL modem.

I say a KVM switch (so you can connect 2 PC's to just one Keyboard,Monitor(Video),Mouse) on amazon for £10-£15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Don't waste your time with Network+
    Go straight for ICND1 or CCNA if you are confident enough.

If you find it difficult, take a course if possible but you can certainly do it by self study if you can dedicatae a couple of hourse per day for about 2 months.

Good luck!

Advertisement