Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Club do you follow and why...

• 19-08-2010 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Just following on from a conversation with a buddy I had at the weekend. Basically about the amount of Man U and Liverpool fans around the place and why those teams..

I used to follow Man U back in Primary school and then coped on ;) and started to follow Chelsea basically because of my dad who supposed them (Before the money came :p)

So basically what team do you support and what made you support them..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

Manchester City.

My dad has a lot of family over in Manchester, he always went over to the games. Even lived there for a while. He beat the blue into me. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Transfer deadline day in August 2008 happened and the rest is history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I follow Man Utd, I grew up watching old videos of George Best and watching them made me feel an affinity to Man Utd and the rest is history..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

My uncle used to play for a football team in red and I though he player for Man United so it started there, I used to always look for him in the premier league books and you should have seen how distraught I was to find out he wasn't in then,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I can remember what I say when about when I started supporting United, but frankly, I can't really remember when I started supporting them. I just pretty much always have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Shelbourne. My aul lad brought me to the 93 Cup final V Dundalk. Didnt really go to matches until i was old enough to go with my mates in around 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Man Utd.

My dad and two older brothers were huge Liverpool fans, and I was sitting on the floor playing with my wrestling figures while they were watching United vs Liverpool on the telly. They kept telling me to be quite, and to cut out the running commentary I was doing on my incredible bouts, so I got into a huff and stopped playing with them, and watched my first ever football match. To get back at them, I started supporting United during the match, although I was awfully confused as to who was the good guy and who was the bad guy - the only concept I was aware of thanks to wrestling. They were saying there is no good and bad guys in football, so then I asked "okay, but whos most like the bad guy?" and they said United were. I was always a sucker for the bad guys in wrestling.

The rest is history :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers

Because the other option was Pats. Oh and family ties etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

angel01 wrote: »
    I follow Man Utd, I grew up watching old videos of George Best and watching them made me feel an affinity to Man Utd and the rest is history..

So then why do you have a link to an Ipswich forum in your sig?

United - I was given a keyring of United's 98/99 league fixtures by an auld lad that was blind drunk, then I watched a few United games and the rest, as they say, is history.:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Liverpool because they're faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Waterford United - I went to matches even in my mothers womb. Apparently I was there for the Cup Final in 1980.

Norwich City - Because I have sense in not following any of the "big teams"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Leeds

My dad gave me a leeds united pin badge when I was 8 and ive been supporting them ever since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Rovers cos they're my local team. This makes me holier than thou...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Mine is simple really. My father supports United. He would go to OT from New York in the late 80's, 90's etc. I went over with him when I was about 5 or 6 in 1994. The rest is history as they say.

My father started supporting United because he was born in Ireland but grew up in Manchester.

The funny thing is that everybody thinks I haven't a clue about football because of my New York accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

baz2009 wrote: »
    So then why do you have a link to an Ipswich forum in your sig?

United - I was given a keyring of United's 98/99 league fixtures by an auld lad that was blind drunk, then I watched a few United games and the rest, as they say, is history.:P

Because I am helping a friend out with their site.. and because I have a soft spot for them and like to see them do well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Bohemians - My Grandad played for them (and Longford), and my dad is a supporter, been going to the games since 1993.

Arsenal - Lived in London for a while and Arsenal were my local team (could see the stadium from my bedroom window). Although now that I am back in Ireland I don't feel the same connection anymore, not the same watching it on the TV :(

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dundalkbhoy

Pauleta wrote: »
    Shelbourne. My aul lad brought me to the 93 Cup final V Dundalk. Didnt really go to matches until i was old enough to go with my mates in around 2000.

jaysus that was a borefest no wonder u didnt go to games for a while after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Chelsea... my cousin supported them for ages, and I've always had a preference for being different (I was 6 at the time and EVERYONE supported either Liverpool or Man United) so I started supporting the Blues, and have done ever since.

Carefree...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Cork City FC : Because I'm from Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Athlone Town. They're my local club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Liverpool because I copied some guy in my class.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Arsenal: I was looking for a team when I was a young fella and just happenend to watch the 1987 Littlewoods Cup final. Thought Charlie Nicholas was class and started supporting Arsenal that day. Plus I didnt like my da and he was a Utd fan so I thought I'd annoy him a bit by not following in his footsteps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Manchester City - back in school when I was about 5 or 6,we were allowed bring in posters and put them up in the bathroom,all the other lads were into football and I wasnt so as not to stand out I begged Momma Gillington to buy me a football magazine,I didnt know anything about football as it was banned in the house! So chose City based the jersey :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

This.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

chelsea from 1998 cause my dad supported them and zola was cool.

wexford youths from 2007 cause they were founded then and how very happy i was that i had a local irish team to support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I was out kicking a ball when I was asked who I supported. I didn't support anyone so I asked my dad who he did (Liverpool) and thats why I follow them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shels, they were my local team. Went to my first match a few months old with the old lad in Harolds Cross against Pats but started going properly in 2003 and since 2006 I've been a season ticket holder.:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Man City. Family thing, plus I always adored the home colours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So who do you support nowadays?

[/Shelsfan]

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

dfx- wrote: »
    So who do you support nowadays?

[/Shelsfan]

:)

Can still be called Cork City FC - Cork City Foras Co-op

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bohs

Used to support Liverpool as a kid but got disillusioned with it as I got older. Few of my friends dragged me to a match 2 years ago and I immediately loved the live experience. Last seasons run in cemented their place in my heart :)

(Post not meant as a "real fan" type dig, just how I felt :))

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

West Ham from playing with them on PS2 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pats father used to bring myself and brother to home games in early 80s, im still going neither of them splitters are!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Man Utd from back in the early 80s when I was a kid. All my relations (dad, uncles) seem to be United fans from back in the 60s. Don't remember making a conscious decision on it.

From Cork and was a big City fan when I lived there, went to a lot of games between maybe 88-92 roughly when I moved away from Cork. Worst day was when City lost the league decider at home in 1991 to Dundalk. Went home straight from the city match. I had the United game taped on video which was the league cup final against Sheff Wed. Made sure I didn't find out the score and had to watch United lose that as well. Wouldn't have minded so much if I knew about the success to come :pac:

Live in Stockholm now so go to a few Hammarby games as the missus is a fan. They have great fans, very vocal.

Was a Go Ahead Eagles fan for about a week a couple of years back. Not sure why. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Shels, they were established a 5 minute walk away from where i grew up. the auld lad took me to a few cup games in the nineties. went to a few games for the run in of the 96-97 season but would consider the 97-98 season my first as a proper fan. Got their away jersey that christmas too. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Man Utd, cos everyone in my class supported them.

Shamrock Rovers, from my family being from Ringsend and being brought to some matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Oh and there was also a dodgy moment when i got free tickets to Rovers in the RDS but as I said the auld lad set me straight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Birmingham City - Always was into football but never supported a team, never seen the point. Watched Birmingham get into Division 1 and was always keeping an eye out on their results. Use to be delighted when they won and pissed when they lost..... Thats when I realised I supported them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Liverpool because my Dad supported them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Arsenal.

Played in a soccer mini-league when i was 11 years old in 1985. All the teams were named after English First division sides and the team i played for was Arsenal.:) I started following them from then on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Black Magician

Everton FC

from the age of 11. 1989. Dont remember supporting a club up until then. My dad RIP wasnt a big footy fan. Was during the FA Cup final of that year that I stated supporting Everton. Dont really know why. remember it well though, was watching that game with friends all of whom were cheering Liverpool and I guess to be different I started cheering for Everton. Classic game it was though even if we did lose. I remeber going wild when Stuart McCall scored deep into injury time. They dont make them like they use to

Also support Bray and Wexford as ive lived in those areas for years but hate the fact irish soccer is like living in the third world.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

Forest. Grew up in Nottinghamshire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Sunderland - I support my local team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Man Utd

First team I came across, or maybe it was because they were successful?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Bohemians-i used to like shelbourne as a kid(think it was there name) but never went to see them until the cup final v bohs in 2000, i was in the bohs end and was just blown away by the bohs support and atmosphere. then a few months later i went to see bohs aberdeen uefa cup game in tolka with my father(pats) and uncle(bohs fan since the 70's) and the atmosphere was electric, it has never been topped since plus bohs won and ive been hooked ever since. my father is even a bohs fan now as well as a few of lads i grew up with:)

Liverpool- childhood team grew up watching them on match of the day heroes was ian rush and robbie fowler, all my family was liverpool aswell. still support them today but not as much as when i was a kid

Nottingham forest- a mate of mine played for them and ive been over a few times to see them, was there in 2008 when they won promotion from league 1 they beat yeovil 5-2 as far as i remember, pitch invasions and singing all the way back down to the city.the city that night was buzzing and the shout of comon uuuuuuuu redsssssss was common in the nightclub all night. great night a proper footballing town been having an interest ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

angel01 wrote: »

Your signature confuses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

That_Guy wrote: »
    Your signature confuses me.

Was explained a few pages back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Barca, Real, Inter, Juve, and Bayern.

They play great football, are on the telly a lot, and win trophies. :cool:

Even being to see Man U once-at the Aviva. 7-1 win and a trophy too. Great day out. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Newcastle because I was in awe of Asprilla and Shearer at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement