Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Club do you follow and why...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Dad was a Liverpool fan so i followed suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

The Aul lad, despite being a 'pool fan, always talked Zola up a lot. I thought Id make Daddy proud by supporting the team he played for.. how wrong I was. Obviously dont regret the decision.. footballs the only thing I have in common with the bastard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Liverpool because theres no other club in my eyes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Liverpool because theres no other club in my eyes...
    Hahaha cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Car crashes,prison stints,luggage thefts,bungs,cokeheads,who the f*ck is Ray Parlour?,Dutch mafia,Perry Groves

....and that's just the bad stuff....I love the Arsenal.

http://members.multimania.co.uk/rayparlour/word.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Chelsea.

My dad supports them. First game he took me to was against Bolton at the bridge in 1998 when I was 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Manchester United

Watching Frank Stapleton play in the 1983 F.A. Cup Final against Brighton 2-2 and then 4-0 in the replay. That did it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Liverpool.

I've no idea why really.

I remember loving them in Primary School, maybe around '92. I loved the noise the crowd made when I watched on RTE, I loved the red, I loved their style of football (I probably described it as pretty or something then!) and it just kind of stuck.

At the end of '93, I had a few months where i glory hunted and supported Blackburn Rovers; I even got a jersey that Christmas. But i didn't enjoy it, and missed supporting Liverpool (remember I was 11, so my mind was still a little simplistic in its thinking!), so my Dad told me to switch back.

and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Was about 11 in 1997 before the serious business of picking a team started. Everyone in school supported Man U or Liverpool and were generally tools about it to each other so decided not to go there. Looked towards Everton for a bit but boring........ Then saw the final of the FA Cup which was one of the few live games we got to see in the pre Sky days and was amazed by that Chelsea team. Zola, Vialli, Di Matteo and a lifetime passion was started. Whole family are now corrupted.

Also thank fook Middlesboro didn't play amazing and win that cup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Manchester United: Born/brought up in Manchester until 11 and my Da supported them.

Shamrock Rovers: brought up in south Dublin (Crumlin/Tallaght) since I was 11 and friends support them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Dundalk FC - my local team.

Started going up to games in Oriel around 1987, then my dad took me to the FAI cup final that year, the Battle of Dalymount vs Rovers. Been supporting Dundalk ever since, through the good times and all the bad one's we've had as well.

Celtic FC - an uncle of mine from Newry gave me a Celtic jersey when I was about 10 and replica jersey's were not as easy to come by as they are now. And the rest is history...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Manchester City......

My dad went to work in Manchester in the '50's and happened to walk into a Man City supporters pub. He's supported them since through ups and downs!!!
    I've only started really getting into the old football thing in the past 10 years as the hubby is a huge Liverpool fan and I decided it was much more enjoyable to watch the football if actually supporting a team. I've always had a love for City hearing my dad talk about them and now my own daughter who is 11 is a massive City fan whilst her 3 brothers follow Liverpool like their dad.............Needless to say, it should be fun/tense in our house next Monday:D:eek:

I often think how different it would be if my Dad had wandered into a Man utd supporters pub 60 years ago!!! Definitely easier as a fan but sure, that's what makes being a City supporter sooooooo enjoyable (the rollercoaster) and I wouldn't have it any other way:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Manchester United - cas I like football

Bohemians - cas I like football

FC Carlow - cas I like football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Arsenal , down to one person too

'cos he's got red hair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Liverpool because when I was a baby my babysister's son supported them and he convinced me to support them so I've been supporting Liverpool since I could think basically... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

my mam and dad lived in manchester in the late 60's, my dad was in wembley in 68 and my brother was born over there. they moved back home to ireland in 75 and when my brother was 13 or 14, he started going over to games with the local supporters club. i was never supporting anybody else bar united. proud moment for me and my dad when i got my season ticket in the stretford end 3 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Forest. I'm the youngest of 4 and two support United and Forest. My second oldest brother had a big influence - the Forest supporter - from when I was small. I think he wanted to balance the house out! I was born in 1981 and Forest were really on the crest of a wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

SlickRic wrote: »

At the end of '93, I had a few months where i glory hunted and supported Blackburn Rovers; I even got a jersey that Christmas.

While this pains me to say, as decent a poster you are, i can never take you seriously ever again. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

a lad i know from home (kerry) was a blackburn fan in 95. then he became a newcastle fan in 97. and yep, hes a "lifelong" chelsea fan now...

the sort of lad that alot of lads on here would love to punch.

• Advertisement

a lad i know from home (kerry) was a blackburn fan in 95. then he became a newcastle fan in 97. and yep, hes a "lifelong" chelsea fan now...

I know one of these. He's actually a very nice fella but it's the first time I'd ever seen a Chelsea shirt in my local and that's after nearly 20 years of (very enjoyable) barstooling there. We have a sly (and quite lucrative) bet that he'll "go City" by 2012. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,438 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Blackburn Rovers. Going into 6th Class back in 1993, my friends told me that I had to start supporting a football team. One friend started listing out the names of the teams and when he mentioned Blackburn Rovers, I thought, " hmm, that sounds like a nice name, I'll pick them ".

They came 2nd in 93/94

And won it in 94/95!

I thought I was on to a real winner, but then things went south. Great club though, I've been over for a couple of games and had a great time everytime, hanging out with the fans and suchlike, really feel so warm there. Warmer than Mel's park on a Friday night, that's for sure!

Hope this deal with the Indian businessman pulls through. It's great to see they might finally get a bit of investment once again since Jack's days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Chelsea, It was in the family. All my uncles and cousins supported them so didn't have a choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Clemon

Cough *Barstoolers* Cough

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Clemon wrote: »

Nope get over to see plenty of games each season as do many in the Chelsea forum

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Never heard of that team? Spanish?

• Advertisement

Cough * person who types silly things on the internet * cough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I know a lad like that. In primary school I thought I was the only Newcastle fan in the class until I sat next down to a lad who was also a Newcastle fan.

We were good friends until we left primary and pretty much went our seperate ways in secondary school.

Saw him 2 weeks ago and was talking to him about Newcastle and he said, "Oh no no. I'm a Chelsea fan now"

Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

F.C Barcelona, because I'm a c*nt who only likes teams who win. I'll probably jump ship to Real this season if the mighty Jose Mourinho brings glory to the proud and valiant capital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Liverpool. First team I saw on telly. They were playing Arsenal, I liked the Arsenal shirts, cheered for them for about ten minutes, but Liverpool won, so being 8 and liking winners, I followed Liverpool.

If Arsenal had won, I'd be an Arsenal fan today.

If I switched on twenty minutes later, I'd probably be a Norwich or Bolton Wanderers fan today.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I grew up supporting Man United, i was young and silly and with players like Cantona, Schmichael and Kanchelskis it was impossible not to support them, i did soon cop on though.

Now really just follow loads of teams and loads of leagues, not one i would call myself a supporter of though.

I have recently started to follow Athletic Bilbao, such an awesome club with a great history, i also love there cantera policy where they only bring through young Basque players, it could be so easy to follow the likes of Barca and Real Madrid in spending big but they have stuck by there policy. Behind only Real Madrid they have contributed most players to the National side and along with Barca dn Real thye are the only other team to have never been relagated from the top league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Leeds United.

Born in Leeds and spent first 2/3 years of my life there. Parents moved back to Ireland then and my Da used to called me "Yorkie" (Yorkshire) afterwards. Always considered them my "home town" team and followed them all the way up through the old second division in the 80's/early nineties. That was tough going as every other fcuking knob followed Liverpool or Man U and always scoffed at Leeds. Bandwagon jumping jonny come lately divvy twats half them are now Chelsea, Blackburn or Newcastle "fans". Still thought they did give me a very healthy hatred of Man U. Always a good thing when you are a Leeds fan:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Never heard of that team? Spanish?
    I didn't know USAF Command Barstoolers Association had a football Team wonder if he gets over to watch them much :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Liverpool:Older cousin got me into them.

Sporting Fingal:Im from Fingal so it gave me a team to follow domestically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Everton, because all kids love winners, and nothing screams "success!" like the Everton team of the 90s :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

That_Guy wrote: »
    I know a lad like that. In primary school I thought I was the only Newcastle fan in the class until I sat next down to a lad who was also a Newcastle fan.

We were good friends until we left primary and pretty much went our seperate ways in secondary school.

Saw him 2 weeks ago and was talking to him about Newcastle and he said, "Oh no no. I'm a Chelsea fan now"

Ugh.
    If you have no actual connection with a club and just pick it out of the air as the one you support, I dont see what the big deal is in changing to another club when it suits you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

are we going to have another ciaranc thread? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

a lad i know from home (kerry) was a blackburn fan in 95. then he became a newcastle fan in 97. and yep, hes a "lifelong" man u fan now...

the sort of lad that alot of lads on here would love to punch

MUSEIST wrote: »
    a lad i know from home (kerry) was a blackburn fan in 95. then he became a newcastle fan in 97. and yep, hes a "lifelong" man u fan now...

the sort of lad that alot of lads on here would love to punch

Serious case of deja vu.... sure I read that somewhere before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Bohs- Grandad played for them and it's different going to matches than watching them on the tele. I know a lot of you went to matches and didn't like them but give it a chance this Friday to see your local team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Manchester City. Born in Manchester and lived on Claremont Road (about 5 minutes walk from Maine Road) for my first 11 years. Then moved to Longsight for the next 9 years until we moved over here. I was a season ticket holder for 8 years. They're my local team; simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

BOHtox wrote: »
    Bohs- Grandad played for them and it's different going to matches than watching them on the tele. I know a lot of you went to matches and didn't like them but give it a chance this Friday to see your local team.

What year did he play in? Might have played with mine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Nottingham Forest - i was obviously a very bad person in a previous life and this is my punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

frantic190 wrote: »
    What year did he play in? Might have played with mine :D

1950ish but not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

BOHtox wrote: »
    1950ish but not sure

Mine would of been around the same, think it was 52/53 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Arsenal

Have a young lad with Down Syndrome and he was quit ill when he was born and at that time I had no interest in Soccer. One night he was in my arms while we were watching MOTD and I said to him "when you grow up I will bring you to Highbury" and for the first time in his life he smiled. Repeated it and he smiled again.:):):)

So we are off to the Emirates in the Spring and have followed Arsenal since.

Bit of a sob but true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

My uncle supports Liverpool, as soon as i was born i was put into a Liverpool shirt. I had no choice, and as bad as it has been lately i wouldnt change it for anything.

blueser wrote: »
    Born in Manchester and lived on Claremont Road (about 5 minutes walk from Maine Road) for my first 11 years. Then moved to Longsight for the next 9 years until we moved over here.

Same here, until 11 too. I'm United, but. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Did the usual United - Liverpool flip flopping until I was about 9, when I settled on Leeds. Since we went down, I've been picking a newly promoted team to root for in the Premiership each season.

Real Madrid - The white like Leeds, and just how good they were when I first watched them. The brand of football, the great players. Worked in Madrid for a few months as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I support Man Utd because when I was small they started winning everything just at the right time for me to appreciate such things and just at the time when proper football was born with the Premier League starting up. I also hate the idea of going to live football in Ireland, its just too cold to be standing around a draughty stand with a leaky roof. If i want to see a load of underpaid Irishmen belt a ball up in the air I'll go to croke Park thanks very much.

I also love the way a barstool feels under my privileged well pampered bottom. Nothing like quaffing some ale with Anto the Red and my buddies while we laugh at Liverpool for only winning things back when you couldn't even follow your club on the stock exchange and you didn't ven need a degree in economics to understand the day to day runnings of your club.

Now where are those prawn sandwiches gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Liverpool for me.

My parents split up in the very early 80s and we spent a lot of time with a couple who were friends of my Mam. The husband, Ray, was a big Liverpool fan and he had lots of pennants on the wall etc. so he got me supporting them.

Then he took me to see Dundalk v Liverpool in September 1982 ( first leg of the European Cup ) and that cemented it. It was my first ever live football match and I can still remember trying to figure out why there was no commentary during the game over the loudspeakers! :)

Pretty much 30 years later and I try my best to get to Anfield whenever I have the money. There's been a lot of good and a lot of bad in those 30 years!

Domestically I support Pats, I used to live in Inchicore ( and help them out with the kit and during training etc. ) so I'll always check their results..

J.

Advertisement