Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Club do you follow and why...

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

newman10 wrote: »
    Arsenal

Have a young lad with Down Syndrome and he was quit ill when he was born and at that time I had no interest in Soccer. One night he was in my arms while we were watching MOTD and I said to him "when you grow up I will bring you to Highbury" and for the first time in his life he smiled. Repeated it and he smiled again.:):):)

So we are off to the Emirates in the Spring and have followed Arsenal since.

Bit of a sob but true

Great post that mate, thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Being born in tottenham(But in Ireland since age 2), and named after Glenn Hoddle, it's hard to support anyone but spurts :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm well and truly f****d.

I went to watch this up- and coming Regionalliga, 2.Bundesliga team since I was 14. Best friend's dad was their president, always had season tickets. Couple of years later I had a stint in their 'A-Jugend' (juniors), couple of years later again I played for their reserves which lasted a good few years. Still a member actually.

Was pretty cool. At the fringes of their first team. Playing with really good players all the time. Called for first team training every now and again.

They are also from my part of the town. They're 'my team'. Period.

But they went into administration at the beginning of the naughties, avoided near bankruptcy due to shenanigans of their main sponsor and were relegated into the highest amateur league (4) then from where they never made a comeback.
    Then re-shuffling of the league structure, another administrator last year and we find ourselves in league 5! where we actually lost our first two games now.

Where do I go from here? :(

I do support Bayern in Europe (of sorts - halfheartedly) and I always had sympathies for Moenchengladbach but it's just not the same isn't it?

What do you do when your team has gone sh1te altogether?

Oh, it's a team called Tennis Borussia Berlin by the way, not that anyone would ever have heard of them. <sob>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Scunthorpe United because i lived there as a child....Supporting them about 25 years now.:)

I have also always had a soft spot for Liverpool since going to Anfield as a kid and seeing them play. Don't follow them fanatically but always look out for them.
    I also always look how Leeds are getting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Sligo Rovers

I started going to the game as a teen with a friend who was fairly big into them - He went off to college and lost interest and I kept going on my own occasionally dragging along various friends

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Boskowski wrote: »

I went to watch this up- and coming Regionalliga, 2.Bundesliga team since I was 14. Best friend's dad was their president, always had season tickets. Couple of years later I had a stint in their 'A-Jugend' (juniors), couple of years later again I played for their reserves which lasted a good few years. Still a member actually.

Was pretty cool. At the fringes of their first team. Playing with really good players all the time. Called for first team training every now and again.

But they went into administration at the beginning of the naughties, avoided near bankruptcy due to shenanigans of their main sponsor and were relegated into the highest amateur league (4) then from where they never made a comeback.
    Then re-shuffling of the league structure, another administrator last year and we find ourselves in league 5! where we actually lost our first two games now.

I do support Bayern in Europe (of sorts - halfheartedly) and I always had sympathies for Moenchengladbach but it's just not the same isn't it?

Oh, it's a team called Tennis Borussia Berlin by the way, not that anyone would ever have heard of them. <sob>

You never stop supporting "your" team. If Forest were to plummet to the conference I would still support them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea

Basically my Dad is a West Ham fan and heard him give out stink about Chelsea when i was younger and think I just supported them from him complaining about them. Thats about 16 + years ago at this stage, been over to the Bridge before Roman's money and have been over since.

The amount of people who say "oh you only follow the money and recent success" is kind of silly, i can imagine a the Man City fans get a bit of stick to but when I explain that ive openly followed Chelsea for bascially 3/4 of my life so far they back down and then complain about how we bought the title and so on.

Meh, my team was lucky to have been bought by a billionaire and the fans have reaped the rewards for nearly the last decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Sligo Rovers and Celtic.

Went along with my auld fella and uncle to a few Rovers matches when I was younger, then went along when I was a young teen with mates and been there ever since. Been from Cork to Croatia with them and love every second following my local team.

Started supporting Celtic just after the Brother Walfrid appeal in Sligo to get a statue of Brother Walfrid in his home town and I learned about the history of the founder of the Club and the Irish diaspora that set it up and the reasons for doing so. Started watching games and have been to Celtic Park since and as frustrating as it is right now, love the club and everything about it. It plays second best to Rovers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Shamrock Rovers

Why, because they were my local team as a lad (the biggest reason IMO for supporting a team), my father played for them having supported them himself (& still does) which he got from my grandfather who also supported them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Feyenoord in Rotterdam

Born and raised 5km from the stadium.
    Living in an apartment with a nextdoor neighbour on the left who was a former player and nextdoor on the right i had a guy who has been in so many positions at the club (playing as well at the board) that there was no escape possible for me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

Arsenal.

Five brothers who all support Arsenal (don't really no why as my father supports Wolves) so I just went with the flow...........got into it when I was a kid in the late 80's, early 90's when they were doing okay and have been following them ever since. God that just reminded me that games where actually on terrestrial telle at one stage, how times have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

Arsenal

Anfield '89 was first game I remember watching when I was 10. Had liverpool won who knows.
    Watched with 2 brothers who where liverpool fans. One has since switch to Balckburn, guess when? :rolleyes:
    Also had 2 friends in school who where Arsenal fans.

Have a soft spot for Sheffield Utd as I was given a tracksuit with them one it. First day I wore it they beat Man U 1-0 in an FA cup game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Born in Turners Cross so obviously City and the pool -because as a seven year old there was a match going on in the locality Utd V Pool. Utd had 6 players, Pool had 5 - I made up the numbers. Lucky Escape:)

edit: pool won 24 -19 if I remember correctly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

I started following Villa when I was 8 because Paul McGrath and Steve Staunton played for them. Beating Man Utd in the 94 League Cup Final to stop them winning the Treble sealed it. I wouldn't be too fanatical which is probably for the best considering the last week.

I went to see Dundalk against Monaghan Utd a few years ago and have followed Dundalk since then. When I was younger I really liked Derry City and was all disappointed when they missed out the League in 1995. It was Dundalk that beat them to the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

You'd be surprised! I remember TeBe from when ex Man City striker Uwe Rösler went to play for them, not a club name you forget easily! Think Christian Tiffert was at the club around the same time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

longford town,because im from longford and used to be dragged out to the matches from i was able to stand by my day when the games were in abbeycartron and then mullagher! used to have to count the crowd for shannon side on the saturday nights in mullagher when i was about 8 or 9,thank god the figures never got to high or i wouldnt have been able to keep goin! since the days of playing tig on the 2nd pitch in the glare of the floodlights from the first pitch to all that has happened to the club in the last few years!

would keep an eye on celtic's results because for about 10 years there my uncle and da used to bring me with them sometimes when they were goin to parkhead,god they were long drives to belfast for the boat!have not been over in the last couple of years,since i was old enough to pay for it myself basically!ha!still go to all the town games with the auld lad doh,same seats and same people all home games,wouldnt change it for the world,game 10 feet in front of you!

also have a liverpool flag in the room from somewhere,think one of my uncles gave the flag to me years ago,have loadsa their jerseys from years ago,all with fowler on the back,so yeah, i thought robbie was the best player in the world when i was younger!good bit younger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Bray Wanderers: Because they're my local team and however bad the standard sometimes is it's live football and they need support

Manchester Citeh: Because in the mid '70s my mother arrived home from Dublin with their home shirt one day so I became Colin Bell that day (at this stage I should point out that I was a 9 year old child at the time). It's hard to believe that then they were a wealthy club buying very good players and knitting them with home grown youth, they won a trophy and the future looked really rosy but then as usual they managed to cock it up-can't imagine that ever happening again:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Brian Clough: Because everyone needs a hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Chelsea because I was born in Harrow in London and they became my "London" team and my dad was a life long fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

See them play - twice! A 2-1 win over St Pauli II and a 1-1 draw with Hertha II a week later...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

M United, my father supports them and Santa brought me a new jersey every year. Guess I never really had a choice... Lucky he wasn't a Newcastle fan haha

Bray Wanderers, only 10min drive away and the school-boy club I played for had ties with them so we would go to a few matches that way.

Valencia since 2000 Champions League Final, I was on holiday in Spain and everybody was cheering for Real so I assumed the role of the pest, and ever since then was hooked.

Fiorentina since they won me a bucket load beating Pool haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

major bill wrote: »

Nottingham forest- a mate of mine played for them and ive been over a few times to see them, was there in 2008 when they won promotion from league 1 they beat yeovil 5-2 as far as i remember, pitch invasions and singing all the way back down to the city.the city that night was buzzing and the shout of comon uuuuuuuu redsssssss was common in the nightclub all night. great night a proper footballing town been having an interest ever since.
    Yeovil beat us 5-2 in the Playoffs the year before. In 2008 we beat Yeovil 3-2 on the last day to go up automatically, having been 12 points adrift with 8 games to go.
    Rockee wrote: »
    Sporting Fingal:Im from Fingal so it gave me a team to follow domestically.
    Thought they didn't have any fans?! They didn't even have a solitary supporter in Limerick tonight, which was pretty amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

chelsea because the oul fella is a life long fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Portsmouth, was born there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bray Wanderers

Cos I'm from Bray and they're a lot better than Ardmore Rovers (my actual local side).

Chelsea

My dad lived in Brompton for years so it was a way for me to identify with him. Also, Zola was such a special player when he joined.

Atletico Madrid

I always had a soft spot for them in Spanish terms but when I lived in Madrid for a bit, I started going to their games regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Bray Wanderers

Cos I'm from Bray and they're a lot better than Ardmore Rovers (my actual local side).

That's a matter for debate:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

brayblue24 wrote: »
    That's a matter for debate:rolleyes::rolleyes:

No it isnt :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Drogheda Utd. I was born there and live about 5 miles from the town all my life. Dad used to attend matches in old Lourdes Stadium and took me when I was 11 for my first game with a friend from school. Been to almost every game since! Can't get enough of it tbh.

Keep an eye on Wolves abroad because I took a liking to them one season they were in the premiership around 6 years ago I suppose by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

born in Southampton (moved home when I was 4) & I will be a Saint 'till I die.

My godfather (sending me Saints shirts/tracksuits) and Matt Le Tissier cemented my loyalty.

there is something special about being the underdog, I still remember going to school after the 6-3 victory (and 4-1 the following year) over ManU. & many other occasions being the lone fan in the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Man United - I remember going to school on the school bus in the late seventies and early eighties. Everyone around me was a Liverpool fan, I stood alone. Why I support them you ask? their history I suppose, the legacy of Irish players passing through their ranks. The tragedy and legacy of Munich and above all else, their history and tradition of always trying to play positive, attacking football.

• Advertisement
Advertisement