Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIT - General Informtion

Options
  • 19-08-2010 1:37pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here's alittle thread for all students with a few useful links and some information to go with it.

The most useful links for most students at the moment:
    AIT - College
    Students Union - Students Union (Provides most of what you need to know as a new student, especially if not from Athlone) Any or all information can be provided by the union if you drop in also, they don't bite either as they're a friendly bunch!!!
    The Grant - Concerning information on the grant and eligiblity.

Athlone - Most services in Athlone can be found here. (Pubs, Restaurants, Accomadation, etc)

Bus Eireann
    Irish Rail
    (Bus and Rail timetables)

Here's some other links from the AIT site as they can be tricky to find and you never know when you might need them:

http://www.ait.ie/informationforcurrentstudents/studentservices/
    (Provides information on everything from the Chaplain to Health, Counselling, Disabilities and Acess aswell Student Assistance Funds)

Anyone with enquiries about courses or department-related activited, these numbers would be quite handy
    School Heads

Business School
    Peter Melinn

Head of Department of Business Studies
    Email pmelinn@ait.ie
    Tel + 353 (0)90 642 4507

School of Engineering
    Austin Hanley

Head of School of Engineering
    Email ahanley@ait.ie
    Tel + 353 (0)90 642 4456

School of Humanities
    Dr Marian Fitzgibbon

Head of School of Humanities
    Email mfitzgibbon@ait.ie
    Tel + 353 (0)90 647 1802

School of Science
    Dr Don Faller

Head of Department of Life and Physical Science
    Email dfaller@ait.ie
    Tel + 353 (0)90 644 2587

Department of Adult and Continuing Education
    Michael Tobin

Tel + 353 (0)90 647 1860
    Email mtobin@ait.ie

And for when ye want a night out:

Genesis, the College night club is across the road from Londis which can't be missed and check out the Athlone website for other pubs and entertainment in the town.

Garda Station
    090 649 2609

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Not so bad! Stickied for future references :) I'll keep the original post up to date for anyone who has any other helpful links etc :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Score!!! If I think of anyother information or links later on, I'll drop them in for further reference also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Crooky92

is there any information regardin sports clubs for the college?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Added Schools numbers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Just wondering, will the students union allow ye to advertise the AIT subforum for students in the college. It would be great to get the extra traffic.

• Advertisement

They do. I put some flyers up about a month back but they were taken down for some reason. I'm going back up again with more flyers soonish. Also, spread the word :pac::pac::pac:

They do. I put some flyers up about a month back but they were taken down for some reason. I'm going back up again with more flyers soonish. Also, spread the word :pac::pac::pac:

But did you go through the students union. If so, the technicians may have taken them down.

Added the Garda station in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

But did you go through the students union. If so, the technicians may have taken them down.

Why would the technicians take them down?

Certain issues with internet traffic and content on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

FLYERS were taken down :P Cherryghost is going to go put some more up on the noticeboards.

The technicians could block the website. Speaking of which, anyone know if it's still blocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 1991cdj

Well do you have any Info/ Views on the Higher Cert in business with music & Instrument Technology in A.it. . im After gettin accepted but dono whether to take the offer or not. I live in Kilkenny and i'm after getting into a plc in waterford too which would be the handy option but i think this course might be more beneficial to me. . my head is wrecked over trying to choose what to do at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭vinamax

1991cdj wrote: »
    Well do you have any Info/ Views on the Higher Cert in business with music & Instrument Technology in A.it. . im After gettin accepted but dono whether to take the offer or not. I live in Kilkenny and i'm after getting into a plc in waterford too which would be the handy option but i think this course might be more beneficial to me. . my head is wrecked over trying to choose what to do at this stage :(

I was in the first year of that course.

It's a lot more business-oriented nowadays (hence BUSINESS in the title) and still very much in the guinea pig stage. The head lecturer is a lovely lady called Ruth Kennington who will do anything for ya if you put the work in.
    There are three main areas: Sound Engineering, Instrument Technology, and Business.

Sound Eng: The studio is quite modern (all new equipment in 2007), ProTools is the software of choice, lots of work needed but totally worth the effort.

Instrument Tech: Facilitated by FÁS last I heard. This was the area worst affected by the founding head lecturers leaving...

Business: Nowhere near as painful as it sounds. Very useful actually! Again, put the work in and you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 28 fizzoo12

Hi, do they have any courses on website design for beginners, I have to start somewhere >>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 3 eimear collins

hey , im hoping to do general nursing in athlone nxt year, could anyone give me any details about placements please? do most carpool or do u have to rent ur own accommodation near hospital? thanks

Advertisement