Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

battle of landlords

Options
  • 19-08-2010 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭

I have a quick query,

I'm looking at apartments and have found 2 available that would suit me at the same price, can I use this to my advantage in any way for negotitating rent? Have never negotiated rent before, so looking for any tips :D

Thanks guys!

(I realise this is probably done to death, am off searching for other threads as you read this)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Definitely worth haggling in today's market. You could contact each of the landlords, say you are interested but also are looking at another property, and would they go down X euro in return for a sign lease by the end of the week. See who replies first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Haggle! :)

Your landlord tried to haggle their mortgage interest rate.
    They definitely haggled when getting furniture and fittings.
    And they'll be haggling if they need to get a tradesman for the place.

Now you do the same, everyone does it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Definitely haggle!
    We were looking at a place for 1000 per month.
    Went in with an offer of 850 per month and they accepted straight away!
    Kicking ourselves we didnt ask for more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks guys, feeling alot more confident about it now. Am meeting landlord this evening, shall report back on how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

If the apartments are on daft, then get the firefox web-browser and install the property-bee plugin (http://www.property-bee.com)

It'll show you how long the properties have been up for rent, and any price changes over that period.

It's very useful to know how long a property has been un-rented at the current asking price when it comes to negotiating rent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd also suggest downloading a range of other rental properties from the area- both to get a good idea of where the current market is- but also to backup your haggling for better rent.

I'm guessing that there are very few landlords out there who don't expect a tenant to haggle these days- and very possibly have a small haggling margin built into the asking prices for rentals.

At the end of the day- if you don't haggle, you certainly aren't going to get a discount (this applies to every aspect of everyday life!) and these days you are far more likely to find landlords (and shopkeepers and others) far more likely to be amenable to a little haggling than in previous days........

Advertisement