Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who applied for Primary Teaching?

• 19-08-2010 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Got my results and I'm delighted to say that with 510 I should be almost certain to be heading to St.Pats next year!

Anybody else fairly confident of getting in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

535 so hopefully I'll be seeing you there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ilikesunshine

I got 540 n wrote down Mary I =o

Im feeling really weird about it ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

535 so hopefully I'll be seeing you there ;)
    Cool! It should be some craic at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kiddd

Do ye think points will go up? i got 435 and i'm applying as a gaeltacht applicant:confused: It was 435 last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

hopefully I'll be heading to mary i, got 495 so fingers crossed!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Grace16

I got 495 so i'm really hoping that i get accepted to St.Pats! It would be amazing if i did

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dalington10

I got 525.... so more than likely got it!! st. pats here i come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

just finished first year...........amazing..... pick your academic subjects wisely!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I applied for it.. but I am many many points away from it!! Got the honour in Irish though so I will do it after my degree hopefully :)

Before coming in here i was sort of hopeful that i might get in with 495 but now i'm not so sure.....Most people in here who want to go to Pats seem to have gotten over 500. I really hope i do get a place though haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭fearbainne

well thers a rumour about the college that they're only takin in 200 B.Eds in Pat's this year and if thats so the points will rocket! More than likely not true at all but thats what i heard... Am headin inta second year and if yas are goin 4 pats, get on campus, its unreal...:)

fearbainne wrote: »
    well thers a rumour about the college that they're only takin in 200 B.Eds in Pat's this year and if thats so the points will rocket! More than likely not true at all but thats what i heard... Am headin inta second year and if yas are goin 4 pats, get on campus, its unreal...:)
    There's no point worrying about those kind of things now,the results are out and we can only hope at this stage. Really? Man I toured the accomodation and I didn't like what I saw :P

Grace16 wrote: »
    Before coming in here i was sort of hopeful that i might get in with 495 but now i'm not so sure.....Most people in here who want to go to Pats seem to have gotten over 500. I really hope i do get a place though haha
    With 495 I wouldn't be worrying! It'll hardly go up by 20 points,especially considering there was a slight decrease in the number applying for education courses this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

i agree, with the decrease in applications to primary teaching this year i dont tink the points for it are going to rocket :)
    i got 495 and im fairly certain that ill be offered a place in st. pats but im considering repeating .. i want veterinary but im 55 points off so im not too sure if its worth it .. i would love to be a teacher either but im still not certain what to do , i would love to go to pats :)
    confused.com ha :D:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My twin brother got 420 and is hoping for Primary school teaching - so it's looking like a backdoor route, as his first three choices (Pats, Marino, Froebel) are all impossible. There is a small glimmer of hope that he will get his 4th choice, Arts/Humanities in Pats as that was 415 last year but I don't think he will.

All of the other choices on the list are too high until he reaches number 9, Arts in UCD, which should be doable with 420.

If he does Arts in UCD, which is 3 years, can he get into a postgrad in one of the teacher training colleges and become qualified in that method? I heard that Pats favour people coming from their own Arts/Humanities course into their postgrad. How can he increase his chances of being accepted into one of the postgrad courses after doing Arts in UCD?

I have a friend who has a aunt that's a national school principal, and she said that they liked to hire students who did the arts + postgrad route instead of just the 3 year B.Ed as they have more life experience. I told this to my brother but he remains adamant that he will be at a disadvantage as he will "spend 3 years learning about the subjects in Arts, but not how to teach them".

Sorry for the essay. On a separate note, can he change the subject combination that he has applied for in UCD Arts? He's applied for Geography/Maths but if I know my brother he will want to change that to Irish/Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kiddd

Does anybody think the points for st. pats will go down? 1000 less people applied for primary teaching this year so does that mean that the points will decrease?:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

If he does Arts in UCD, which is 3 years, can he get into a postgrad in one of the teacher training colleges and become qualified in that method? I heard that Pats favour people coming from their own Arts/Humanities course into their postgrad. How can he increase his chances of being accepted into one of the postgrad courses after doing Arts in UCD?

Entrance into the postgrad depends solely on the interview. In the interview you have to show how you would be suited for a career in primary teaching. Experience working with kids (training GAA, teaching music etc.) would stand to him. Good Irish for the Irish part of the interview would be very important as well. I wouldn't worry too much about the fact he did Arts in another college, it shouldn't make any great difference.

I have a friend who has a aunt that's a national school principal, and she said that they liked to hire students who did the arts + postgrad route instead of just the 3 year B.Ed as they have more life experience. I told this to my brother but he remains adamant that he will be at a disadvantage as he will "spend 3 years learning about the subjects in Arts, but not how to teach them".

Anecdotally I've heard the opposite, but you just can't say. Opinion on this matter varies wildly, so there is no point in dwelling on it too much. It depends on the principal in question.
    Sorry for the essay. On a separate note, can he change the subject combination that he has applied for in UCD Arts? He's applied for Geography/Maths but if I know my brother he will want to change that to Irish/Maths.

Irish would be much better to have going for the postgrad interview, so he'd best do that if he can. I don't know anything about the UCD arts course though so can't help you there.

Really? Man I toured the accomodation and I didn't like what I saw :P

haha! I agree completely, its a ****hole but trust me, its the best craic you'll ever have... 60 lads are thrown inta the one house so its always guna be messy but its unreal craic, i must get DDC1990 in on this 2 help me explain!

dambarude wrote: »
    Entrance into the postgrad depends solely on the interview.

Timbuk is right, St.Pats do give preference to their own Arts course, thats a fact. But, thats only a preference, there still guna pick someone clearly better 4 the position.

Going the long way into teachin is really really hard these days... in St.Pat's, which is the only college i know about, the postgrad was cut from 180 places to 60 places this year so its guna be really tough to get in...

Just throwin it out there!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Is that an official preference though? I'm not surprised to hear that there is a preference really, it wouldn't be unexpected.

• Advertisement

yeah its official, came up at an su meetin last year, the su wer wantin it made official and it was!

haha! I agree completely, its a ****hole but trust me, its the best craic you'll ever have... 60 lads are thrown inta the one house so its always guna be messy but its unreal craic, i must get DDC1990 in on this 2 help me explain!
    I can imagine! Ah sure look what can ya do,I'm staying in a house just at the top of the road so I don't really care! :D Whats the ratio boys:girls?

I can imagine! Ah sure look what can ya do,I'm staying in a house just at the top of the road so I don't really care! :D Whats the ratio boys:girls?

you from drumcondra area or did ya just get a house there? Well there 5 houses on campus, 3 for girls, 1 for boys and 1 for the internationals, that should give ya an idea, i think in our year there were roughly 70 lads and 330 girls!! and cos thers so little boys the girls have little to no standards, they take anytin!!:pac:

With 495 I wouldn't be worrying! It'll hardly go up by 20 points,especially considering there was a slight decrease in the number applying for education courses this year.

I really hope so haha.....I've always wanted to be a primary school teacher. Guess i'll just have to wait until Monday to find out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

and cos thers so little boys the girls have little to no standards, they take anytin!!:pac:
    You do realise what you're implying about yourself there? :P

And can we get away from the chances of extracurricular activities, and back to the main topic of the thread, please? :P

you from drumcondra area or did ya just get a house there? Well there 5 houses on campus, 3 for girls, 1 for boys and 1 for the internationals, that should give ya an idea, i think in our year there were roughly 70 lads and 330 girls!! and cos thers so little boys the girls have little to no standards, they take anytin!!:pac:
    Oh god no,I'm a Mullingar man myself! Ah that's grand so! :P Happy out haha

You do realise what you're implying about yourself there? :P

And can we get away from the chances of extracurricular activities, and back to the main topic of the thread, please? :P
    Indeed lets remain focused to the task at hand people! :L

I got my points and am going to Pats.....so excited but still nervous haha. How did everybody else do?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Grace16 wrote: »
    I got my points and am going to Pats.....so excited but still nervous haha. How did everybody else do?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056009379

join in ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks.....i was wondering where everybody was haha

Advertisement