Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Appeal?

• 19-08-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I should appeal the mark I got in History. I got a D2 which I was completely shocked with. I done Higher level and after I done the exam I was comfortable afterwards with the questions and how I answered them. I went over my answers 2 or 3 times and made any needed changes. For the documents on Sunningdale I knew all the answers and explained a lot about why it failed. I even gave dates etc.

I then done Topic 6 question 2:
    How effective was Seán Lemass as Taoiseach in his management of internal and external
    affairs?
    I explained about how he used the first programme of economic expansion and he knew personally how the old policy of Protectionism was damaging Ireland along with much more. I knew a lot about him on the day because I studied the **** out of him that Wednesday morning and he was the freshest in my mind due to being the last studied. Felt that I answered the question well.

Next question was Q3 Topic 3:
    1. How successfully did German governments deal with the social and economic
    problems of the period 1920-1939?
    I answered this one explaining how they were in massive debt and how Hitler used there poor dealings as a way to gather followers and then went on about how he dealt with these issues. Again I was pretty content with the answer I gave.

Last one was Q3 Topic 6 Question 2:
    Why did the United States experience an economic boom, 1945-1968, and what was its
    impact on society?
    I talked about things such as the Baby Boom. I know I got confused on the day and said Lyndon Johnson was president at the time due to my brain being almost burned out and the question below which had Johnson in it. I explained lots of facts about this and went into some good detail. I was happy with the answer but a bit annoyed when I was walking out of the building and remember Harry Truman was the president. But other than that there was nothing too bad.

So overall I was comfortable with the exam and honestly thought I would have done better. I'm not trying to be big headed and say I know everything and deserved an A, but I always got over 85% in all tests except the mocks because we didn't have 1 subject covered. My project was on the development of German weaponry from WW1 to WW2 and during WW2. I got 3 good sources, 1 internet 2 books, which backed up each other and I gave quotes from the sources. This wasn't a rewritten version from the sources either I wrote it all from my head using quotes from the sources.

Again I don't want to sound big headed but should I appeal and do you think the answers I gave were right?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Go and look at your paper. See how it was marked. See if you think there is anything wildly out of order. Get a teacher who is an experienced examiner to look at it.

If your teacher has not corrected, then the 85% you were being given in previous exams could be way out - maybe they mark your work too easy?

Anyway, have a look at the paper and appeal if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

spurious wrote: »
    Go and look at your paper. See how it was marked. See if you think there is anything wildly out of order. Get a teacher who is an experienced examiner to look at it.

If your teacher has not corrected, then the 85% you were being given in previous exams could be way out - maybe they mark your work too easy?

Anyway, have a look at the paper and appeal if you want.

Hi, The teacher that does History does Geography too and he isn't a very soft marker judging from past experience. He's not strict either and I've always found him to be fair when marking anyone in the class. He was the same person who was teaching those subject for the Junior Cert and I was always getting A's and B's in that then I got a B1 in the Junior Cert. I wouldn't say I was being marked too soft during the year especially with how comfortable I was after the exam. Where can I get my answer paper?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In with your results was a form to request to view your papers and a booklet about appealing.

Fill in the form and request whichever of your papers you want to see. Following that, decide whether to appeal or not.

The Junior Cert. is not marked in the same way as the Leaving.

Advertisement