Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeats 2010-2011

• 19-08-2010 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭

Absolutely devastated. I was expecting 500+ but got 460. Dont know how. Definitely appealing two subjects but thats for another thread.
    Anyways, I might as well resign myself to repeating(:mad::mad::mad:) now. Need another 15 points so its unlikely. I was wondering (for those of you that will also be repeating) what subjects are you going to do? Firstly, I'm definitely dropping English. Only need it for matric and I've no interest in learning off (practically) a whole new course. Also I do pass maths so that's dropped too. Passed it, thats all I needed. That leaves me with 5 subjects.
    Construction seems to be childs play so I'm defo trying to take that up. Unfrotunately I only know one teacher in the Galway area that does the subject and he is unwilling to do private classes (reason I didn't do it this year). Anyone that knows someone willing to give grinds in Galway please PM me.
    Also my phys-chem grinds teacher (only got her in May and she turned me from a C student to an A1 student) reckons I should take up Ag Science as its mainly learning off and relatively easy to get (at least) a high B. That means I could also drop Irish. I feel like shít now but my I may as well plan for next year.
    Anyways, what are ye're thoughts?? Any idea of any other "soft" subject??
    Wouldn't mind dropping economics (:p) but I think that would be a bit too much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LouiseZ

Dude...I'm repeating too....so depressing,,and to make it worse all my friends got what they wanted and are all going to college without me now..:(..guess thats what I get for not studying...I got 470 but I needed a good 520+...:mad:...haven't thought much about subjects for next year yet...I can't face it...I might take up Chemistry as I think I'll need it..anyone know if its possible to do in a year?...I know that Business is meant to be a soft subject...just learning off useless stuff..I did it and got a B1 with no study at all, and I only took it up at the end of last year so technically I only did it in a year...if thats any help..or Geography though you have to do a portfolio thing with that....

God I feel like such a failure....:mad:...maybe I should have just been realistic and put down jam making...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Guys come on... 460 and 470 are fantastic achievements! Nothing to feel ashamed or like a failure over. Yes you are disappointed and yes you wanted more but its not the end of the world.
    I know thinking of repeating now is daunting and scary and you're filled with questions like.. 'where will i get those extra marks from'.. but if you really want something... you will get it.

As per subjects... I agree. The English course is just way too long. 2 papers is just ridiculous and the fact the plays and novels change every year is just not worth doing unless you're a gifted journalist type! Drop it! Irish is the same.

What I would say is that if you did fantastic in phys/chemistry, would you not consider taking up both those subjects next year? Not sure about Physics but Chemistry is definitely manageable in a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I reckon if I did physics and chemistry I would struggle to pass them both... Yeh can only measure your points with respect to your ability and how much study yeh did. For me 460 was total bollox... Didnt even go out last night I felt so bad.. I'd fu*kin give my legs for my college course at this stage... seriously..

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

Construction is easy,got a A1 in it, and a lot of people in the class got A2's!! Would help if you did DCG, the quality of your drawings will be a lot better!

You have to do the project and the bench test. The project is grand, but the bench test is hard! You would need to have some experience working with tools, if you want to get a very high grade.

I also did Ag Science, as I had heard the same as you did, and i needed the points! I was hoping for an A2, but I got a B1, which wasn't too bad I suppose, considering the paper:mad: I would take that into consideration! The book is outdated, and the exam contains some questions you would not have seen before!
    You also have to do 25% worth of practical work, which is good, knowing you have some marks before you go in to sit the exam! But it does take up a lot of time.

Maybe you could pick up Engineering? It's easy:p But you would need to be handy with your hands:p

THFC wrote: »
    I reckon if I did physics and chemistry I would struggle to pass them both... Yeh can only measure your points with respect to your ability and how much study yeh did. For me 460 was total bollox... Didnt even go out last night I felt so bad.. I'd fu*kin give my legs for my college course at this stage... seriously..

What course you want to do? Did you apply for HEAR?

• Advertisement

Applied for Primary Teaching (only in Pats - foolishly. Thought I would get the points). Even if the points do stay the same (475) I'm very unlikely to get it with the appeal. Was expecting A1 in French and A2/B1 in Irish but I (some how) got a B3 (french) and C1...

Oh ya, frogot to answer your qs on hear. Dont you need to be in a poor financial situation to get that (I could be veeery wrong)? Anyways Im presuming the deadline has passed...?

Oh ya, frogot to answer your qs on hear. Dont you need to be in a poor financial situation to get that (I could be veeery wrong)? Anyways Im presuming the deadline has passed...?

Ya you do. Ohh yaa it's over since Feb I think??
    Ya never know, you might get it with the rechecks!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭A Changer

You may be disappointed with your results, but I don't think you truely appreciate the enormity of what you both accomplished. I repeated this year, and I managed 475 points. I was stunned, jumping up from the low 300s to that. Something my Economics teacher told me made the achievement seem even greater - at that level of success, we are in the 3rd percentile in the country. The top three percent of Leaving Cert students!

If you have your heart set on something higher, then repeating is a good idea. It's what I did, and I don't expect to be too disappointed come Monday. However, there is nothing remotely close to failure in what we did, so don't try to convince yourself or anyone else otherwise.

Anyway, I'd recommend keeping Economics. It's a short course, and if you did it before, you can only improve on it. Doing mathematically-based courses would be best if you're suited to them. Subjective subjects like English and History are the trickier ones to get consistently high marks in, and I know fellow repeats who dropped humanities subjects altogether, focusing entirely on Maths and Business subjects, got the highest points overall.

Good luck to everyone repeating next year - it's a hard choice, but like in most things, the hard choice is often the best one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Lots of you kids seem so disappointed with fantastic results,
    If you repeat next year fill out your CAO with room for at least 100 points less than what you expect.

You need to remember that If everyone did as well as they think they deserve we'd have nationwide outcries that the leaving cert is too easy.
    Examiners are only allowed give out so many A's.
    one of my old teachers told us how she she was marking they would put all the ones they felt deserved A's aside in small groups, then only the best ones from those groups would get A1s and the others might even only get B.

C's and B's are still great results. They have to save the top marks for the ones they feel are "OMG, amazingly perfect!!!"
    especially at higher level.
    (I'm trying to boost peoples self esteem here)

so anyway. When you fill out your next CAO, prepare for the worst, Put down all the courses you'd like to do, but leaving plenty of lower point options. Make sure your second choice is something you'd actually accept. Apply for PLCs as a back up.

Also try not re-take everything if you don't have to. If you have a subject you did great in, don't risk loosing marks and leave it you can carry the points over from the previous year I think, and you'll have more time to focus on certain subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xtwinketoesx

are you able to just repeat one subject? i always get A1s in italian and somehow i ended up with a C2. i need at least a C1 to get my course...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MatureStudent

Your points must all come from the same year, specific subject requirements can be carried over but not points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Noodleworm wrote: »
    If you repeat next year fill out your CAO with room for at least 100 points less than what you expect.
    Fill out your CAO with the course you WANT!

Ok, including a couple of "bankers" at nine and ten, maybe, but there is *nothing* more frustrating for any student than to get the points for the course they really wanted, but they have left it off the CAO because they didn't think they would get the points.
    are you able to just repeat one subject? i always get A1s in italian and somehow i ended up with a C2. i need at least a C1 to get my course...
    Yes, you can.

First, though, arrange to view your paper with a teacher (and preferably one who acts as an examiner) and see whether it is worth getting it re-checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Fill out your CAO with the course you WANT!

Ok, including a couple of "bankers" at nine and ten, maybe, but there is *nothing* more frustrating for any student than to get the points for the course they really wanted, but they have left it off the CAO because they didn't think they would get the points.

Yes, you can.

First, though, arrange to view your paper with a teacher (and preferably one who acts as an examiner) and see whether it is worth getting it re-checked.
    how could you repeat one subjects when you need points from one sitting of the leaving cert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

ayumi wrote: »
    how could you repeat one subjects when you need points from one sitting of the leaving cert?
    I may be wrong, but I read her post as saying that the C1 in Italian (or maybe in a language) was a requirement for the course she wants?

You can satisfy minimum requirements seperately to the year you get your points in.

Mind you, looking back at it again, I'm not sure what she means tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭HOBO123

i got 495 this year but not enuf for my first choice .. im seriously considering repeating but i need 3 go up by 50 points ..
    i did best in my science and maths and it was my languages which let me down so i was thinkin of taking up 3 new subjects if i was to repeat .. does anyone who has repeated all ready think that 3 new subjects to do in a year would be too much??
    i was thinking of doing
    chemistry - B1
    biology - A1
    ag science
    phys/chem
    home ec - B3
    business

the grades are wat i got this year .. but i seriously dont know where ill pull 50 points out of :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Noodleworm wrote: »
    Also try not re-take everything if you don't have to. If you have a subject you did great in, don't risk loosing marks and leave it you can carry the points over from the previous year I think, and you'll have more time to focus on certain subjects.
    No. Wrong. Completely wrong.

You can't mix and match points from different years. Your points are accumulated from one sitting of the leaving cert.
    When repeating always keep on your best subjects and drop the ones you didn't do well in and don't need.

HOBO123 wrote: »
    i got 495 this year but not enuf for my first choice .. im seriously considering repeating but i need 3 go up by 50 points ..
    i did best in my science and maths and it was my languages which let me down so i was thinkin of taking up 3 new subjects if i was to repeat .. does anyone who has repeated all ready think that 3 new subjects to do in a year would be too much??
    i was thinking of doing
    chemistry - B1
    biology - A1
    ag science
    phys/chem
    home ec - B3
    business

the grades are wat i got this year .. but i seriously dont know where ill pull 50 points out of :O
    Yeh should get the A1 in phys-chem considering chemistry is much harder than the physics part, just make sure you get a good teacher and you'll be fine. Seeing as you already have the chemistry sorted it wouldn't eat too much into your study time either but be aware that most colleges wont accept phys-chem and chemistry (or physics for that matter) as 2 separate sciences (for matric).

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I'm pretty sure the SEC doesnt allow you to sit Phys-chem with chemistry or physics but i know youre definatly not allowed sit all three as itd be toatally unfair.

So peeps of boards,whos joining me??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

anyone considering doing a fetec/plc course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

HOBO123 wrote: »
    i got 495 this year but not enuf for my first choice .. im seriously considering repeating but i need 3 go up by 50 points

Wow you're almost identical to me. I got 490 points and wish to repeat with three new subjects as well. I plan to drop French & English. Just a question, I passed Honours english with a C1 this year, does that mean I can use it for the entry requirement for all courses apart from medicine? (or are their other exception to this rule?)

Anyway, I am hoping to take on Business, Biology and Japanese(this is just a bonus subject that I am taking that may or may not give me points).

My result this year was:
    Physics - A2
    Chemistry - B1
    Geography - B1
    Maths - B1

I am personally most confident in learning off theory and facts. Thus my decision to drop French and English which I had real trouble studying for. So would Business and Biology in one year with mediocre teachers able to get me my B1+ or are there better alternatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

Count me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Good luck, guys! It might feel like the worst thing in the world at times, but repeating to get what you want is definitely worth it! Stick at it and good luck! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

So what is the point in repeating if you cant carry over the points..?
    I mean if you didnt get enough points and repeated like two things, surely then by what you guys are saying your points wont go up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Well well well, we messed up :p.
    What way is everyone going repeating? Im thinking about doing it at home. Does anyone know if you passed everything can you drop english, irish and maths and do the leaving cert next year and get into any course(except medicine)?
    Im not sure if im repeating myself as I am appealing a couple of subjects.
    But anyway, whats everyones outlook on having to repeat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ClodaghJoan

Was wondering (as a fellow repeater) what are peoples thoughts about taking physics in a year? I took chemistry last year and I'm taking it again. I also like maths if that makes a difference.

I have to make up for the loss of an Honours C2 in Irish. I studied my ass off for it cos I hate irish (mom wouldn't let me do pass) and I'm definately not doing it again. I think the fact that I had to concentrate so much on it is why I'm repeating!

http://clodaghjoan.blogspot.com

Codagh I'd say neary every one now on Boards knows about your blog... Give it a rest...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ClodaghJoan

Codagh I'd say neary every one now on Boards knows about your blog... Give it a rest...
    yeah i know, sorry, i do it automatically now, such is my pathalogical need to feel wanted . . .:)

Advertisement