Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ammo differences?

Options
  • 19-08-2010 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

i got two different kinds of ammo when i picked up the tikka the other day. i bought a box of hornady 55gr vmax and two boxes of remington umc 55gr fmj's.
    the muzzle velocity for both rounds is stated at 3240fps.
    the B.C. for the hornadys is .255 and the B.C for the remingtons is .202.
    the thing is that i was trying to fine tune the rifle this morning off the bench.
    i was zeroing at 50 yards as this is supposed to put the bullet dead on for 200 yards.
    the thing is when i had the fmj's dead on in the same hole, i tried a couple of v-max's to make sure they were the same, but the v-max's were hitting 1/2" higher.
    if my calculations are right that would put them 1" higher @ 100 yards and 2" higher at 200 yards.
    has anyone else experienced anything like this?
    its just that i don't really want to have to use the hornady's @ €28 a box for zeroing if i dont really have to

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

declan1980 wrote: »
    i got two different kinds of ammo when i picked up the tikka the other day. i bought a box of hornady 55gr vmax and two boxes of remington umc 55gr fmj's.
    the thing is that i was trying to fine tune the rifle this morning off the bench.
    i was zeroing at 50 yards as this is supposed to put the bullet dead on for 200 yards.
    the thing is when i had the fmj's dead on in the same hole, i tried a couple of v-max's to make sure they were the same, but the v-max's were hitting 1/2" higher.
    if my calculations are right that would put them 1" higher @ 100 yards and 2" higher at 200 yards.
    its just that i don't really want to have to use the hornady's @ €28 a box for zeroing if i dont really have to

Sorry, but there's no way around it. You have to zero with the ammo you're going to use. Also, your calculations don't work as they seem to assume a flat trajectory, rather than a parabolic curve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Zero with what you use.

Ammo varies.
    You will only wreck your head with disimilar ammo.
    If you zero a .223 55Grain v-max ~1.5" high @100 she is Zero @200 ~-7.5 low @300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What IWM said, you will need to zero with the ammunition you want to use.

Just out of interest you should try some HPS 55grainn Sierra Blitzking ammo off Intershoot.

I'm getting some in a few weeks.

it could be interesting stuff (i hope serious accurate) and cheaper than Hornady

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Just out of interest you should try some HPS 55grainn Sierra Blitzking ammo off Intershoot.

I'm getting some in a few weeks.

it could be interesting stuff (i hope serious accurate) and cheaper than Hornady

Thanks for being our test case Tack, we expect a full report ya know :D

How many rounds did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Blitzkings are meant to be excellent bullets in terms of terminal performance. Not heard anything especial about them in terms of accuracy one way or another, but I've seen some handload groups from a .204 Ruger shooting them and they were smashing. Don't know of anyone using them in a .22 centrefire. May go down the HPS route in future with more economical bullets, but while their target stuff is very reasonably priced, the larger centrefire stuff with expanding bullets is expensive. £250/100 for 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for the .25-06. I'd love to try the bullet, but it's too much money for me, realistically speaking. I'll stick with the 117gr Sierra Gameking I'm using for now.

Blitzkings are meant to be excellent bullets in terms of terminal performance. Not heard anything especial about them in terms of accuracy one way or another, but I've seen some handload groups from a .204 Ruger shooting them and they were smashing. Don't know of anyone using them in a .22 centrefire. May go down the HPS route in future with more economical bullets, but while their target stuff is very reasonably priced, the larger centrefire stuff with expanding bullets is expensive. £250/100 for 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for the .25-06. I'd love to try the bullet, but it's too much money for me, realistically speaking. I'll stick with the 117gr Sierra Gameking I'm using for now.

308 125gr Nosler Spitzer £745/500 or €179/100
    With the capacity of the .308 behind them they should be a stinger of a round!

Hopefully they will group well out if my teenie 20" barrel'ed Remington

These will also be test case Ammo for the Irish hunters out there who are not happy with soft nose accuracy or the prices/Availability of Hornady TAP

Vegeta wrote: »
    Thanks for being our test case Tack, we expect a full report ya know :D

How many rounds did you get, if you don't mind me asking?

Would you not get an import and get a 100 for the craic?
    Import is back in ~ 5days.
    I'm getting ~200 but he has another 300 for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

Sorry, but there's no way around it. You have to zero with the ammo you're going to use. Also, your calculations don't work as they seem to assume a flat trajectory, rather than a parabolic curve.

i was going with 1" roughly = 1moa, so i thought that would mean 1/2" off @ 50 yards = 1 moa off. you see where i'm going.
    thanks tack, i guess you learn something new every day.
    i'm just gonna have to take the hit in the pocket and do things right

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

or you could get some UMC 55gr hollow points, there ding well out of my cz havnt missed a fox yet. and there only 14.50 a box

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

or you could get some UMC 55gr hollow points, there ding well out of my cz havnt missed a fox yet. and there only 14.50 a box

i considered them alright but i prefer the ballistic tips because they explode when they hit the fox. i just think they're more humane too.
    i've seen foxes shot with hollow points and some of them didn't die straight away. i've neer seen a fox suffer when shot with ballistic tips, they always just dropped dead

i considered them alright but i prefer the ballistic tips because they explode when they hit the fox. i just think they're more humane too.
    i've seen foxes shot with hollow points and some of them didn't die straight away. i've neer seen a fox suffer when shot with ballistic tips, they always just dropped dead

ballistic Tips are Awesome!

9/10 foxes prefer them !

Advertisement