Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UnitedIrishman's All Sport Bets

Options
  • 19-08-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭

Well, I've decided to turn my hat to football tipping in the hope to turn 100pts into 250pts by the end of the season. You may say that's not a massive turnaround but with the odds as short as they are in football and I'm not looking for any huge accumulators, then it's more realistic.

If I reach my target, then I will continue and set myself a new target. All about grinding it out though for profit.

I'll be mostly sticking to English football as it's the one I feel most comfortable betting on, unless something sticks out at my from Europe.

My bets will be three types:

UI's Treble - I'll be giving my own treble for the weekend/midweek fixtures. Rules: Only home teams and obviously only three teams. A big list of teams in an accumulator is how you end up in the mad house.

The Banker - The weekend/midweek banker. A single bet between 2pts-5pts on any side. Not looking at 1/7 shots here but more in the range of 4/6 to 6/4.

The Outsider - A team at odds of 2/1 (relatively big for a football match) or more with a bet of between 0.5pts and 1.5pts.

They're my golden rules for the season and hopefully we'll make some profit.
    cup-415x317.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

This weekend's bets seeing as I won't be around on Friday or Saturday to put them up.

The Banker
    Birmingham @ 13/10 - 3pts vs. Blackburn Rovers

Birmingham won this same fixture last year 2-1 and with the side that they have, and the defence that they have, they should have no problem dealing with Blackburn's biggest weapon - their height. Scott Dann and Roger Johnson are more than capable dealing with Steven Nzonzi and co. whilst Blackburn will have it all on against Nikola Zigic should he get the start at the weekend.

I just think Birmingham have more about them in this fixture than their opponents and Birmingham's home record last year was excellent losing only 2 fixtures all season.

UI's treble
    Middlesborough @ 21/20, QPR @ 1/2, Cardiff @ 4/5 - 1pt @ 9/2

Middlesborough were tipped up as many peoples picks for being promoted this season but they've yet to show their ability after lacklustre performances against Ipswich and Coventry. With so many new arrivals under Strachan, it's understandable that it's going to take time for those players to gel and Strachans own record at Celtic shows that his sides are generally slow starters. However, at home to a Sheffield United side in some disarray at the minute, they can be backed to get back on track.

QPR are flying at the moment and Neil Warnock has done a good job escaping the axe thus far as manager under the multi-billion owned club. At home to Scunthorpe - my pick to finish in the bottom three - they can add to their impressive start this season.

Cardiff pulled off the coup of the transfer window by bringing Craig Bellamy back to Wales despite being on their knees financially. Bellamy is far and away above Championship level and should he start at the weekend alongside Cardiff's other ace striker Michael Chopra, then Doncaster could be in for a long day at the office. Cardiff City stadium will be buzzing with the new arrival and they're a great price to get a home win.
    Kenwyne-Jones_2408374.jpg

The Outsider
    Stoke @ 13/5 - 0.5pt vs. Tottenham

Tottenham flopped two days ago against Young Boys in the CL and there could be a chance they'll take their eye off this fixture with a view on the second leg. Stoke are a phenomenally tough side to face at home and they're seriously physical. Will Tottenham fancy a trip to the Britannia? Not likely. Defoe and Modric are both doubful for the weekend whereas Pulis has said that new signing Kenwyne Jones has a chance of appearing. A small bet on Stoke at 13/5 to pick up the points.

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Best of luck UI, good write ups.

Good start!

Stoke @ 13/5 - 0.5pt vs. Tottenham - LOST

Birmingham @ 13/10 - 3pts vs. Blackburn Rovers - WON = Return of 6.90pts

Middlesborough @ 21/20, QPR @ 1/2, Cardiff @ 4/5 - 1pt @ 9/2 - WON = Return of 5.5pts

Old bank - 100pts
    Bets of - 4.5pts
    Returns of - 12.4pts
    New bank = 107.9pts

Going for a midweek banker...

Hapoel Tel Aviv @ Evs (Ladbrokes) vs. Red Bull Salzburg - 2pts.

This midweek clash in the CL between Hapoel and Salzburg might not grab the attention like the Spurs tie or the Werder Bremen second leg - but it's of equal importance as both sides chase entry into the group stage.

Hapoel travelled to Salzburg last week and came away with an impressive 3-2 win with goals from Vincent Enyeama (yes the goalkeeper), Shecter and ex-Chelsea striker Ben Sahar.

I'm backing them to seal the deal with victory on their home territory. Israel is renowned as a tough place to visit and attempt to come away with victory and this will be no different.

Hapoel's home form from last season is superb. They lost just one game all season to Maccabi Haifa who actually finished top but due to the playoff system they have in Israel, lost out on the CL spot to Hapoel.

Salzburg have had a mixed start to their new season with one win from three, losing to title rivals Rapid Vienna away from home. They picked up 33 points from 54 last year on the road which is pretty impressive but in Europe they've struggled once they've come up against a decent side and we're beaten 3-0 by Maccabi Haifa in last years away leg in the CL qualifiers.

With players the quality of Sahar and Enyeama in their ranks, I can't see any other outcome other than Hapoel Tel Aviv coming through with victory in order to ensure their passage through to the next round.

Draw for Salzburg. Should have seen it coming with them a goal ahead from the first leg.

Old bank = 107.9pts
    Loss of - 2pts
    New Bank = 105.9pts.

Selections for the weekends games to follow later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Very good write-ups indeed. Good man, will follow this one closely! :)

Found it tought to come up with a home treble that was worth backing and good enough value this weekend so going with a couple of bankers and a couple of outsiders instead.

Bankers:

Ipswich @ 5/6 - 2.5pts vs. Bristol City

Roy Keane's charges are on a bit of a roll at the minute with a win in extra time in the League Cup and a win away to Crystal Palace the week before in the league. Last season I tipped them to get promoted via the playoffs and had it not been for a number of last minute goals against them, they could well have been in the shake up.

Jason Scotland will be in line to start his first game back in the Championship and he has a phenomenal record at this level. Alongside Tamas Priskin, Ipswich should have a strikeforce to be feared for the rest of the season.

Up against Bristol City who have yet to pick up a win and lost manager Steve Coppell after the first week of the season. The high profile signing of David James has done little but sell jerseys at the minute as the ex-England 'keeper has gone through a horrible patch of form at his new club.

I'm siding with Ipswich to push on and challenge for a top six spot and a win at home to Bristol will aid that charge.

Cardiff @ 7/5 - 2pts. vs. Portsmouth

Admittedly, I don't like going with away games for bankers as they're at a disadvantage. But at 7/5 I have to have a punt on Cardiff. Despite being under financial pressure, the club snapped up Craig Bellamy who destroyed the opposition - Doncaster - last week and this week they're trying to get Irish striker Andy Keogh on loan. Their side is still very very strong and with Bellamy at the club, they've effectively got a player that is 3-4 levels above this.
    craig-bellamy_1372623c.jpg

Portsmouth are getting by on a day to day basis and they have a mix and match team at the minute. No wins thus far in the Championship and already the signs are ominous for the bankrupt team. Is it any wonder their season has started so poorly with the preseason from hell they had -

From here: Soccernet..
    Portsmouth, on tour in the United States and Canada despite still being in administration, struggled with a threadbare squad largely made up of youth players.

Cotterill was already furious at the decision to travel to North America with the start of the Championship season now less than two weeks away. The tour was arranged before he took over last month, and Cotterill would have preferred to remain in England.

The tour had started badly enough last week with their journey to San Diego from England to play Mexico's Club America taking 42 hours after a connecting flight was cancelled. Two players were injured in the next game, against an Edmonton select team on July 21. Tom Kilbey damaged his knee while goalkeeper Jon Stewart broke his leg and both are out long term.

Then, after being stranded in Chicago for the best part of 28 hours by a lightning storm, the players were able to get just four hours sleep and had not trained for three days before facing MLS side DC United on Saturday in 100 degrees Fahrenheit heat. During that storm all of the club's luggage was left out in the rain, and 14 bags never made it to their destination.

Including in those 14 bags was the Portsmouth kit, meaning they had to borrow a strip from DC United for the match.

They currently have 15 first team players on their books and some of them aren't up to Championship level. I think Bellamy, Whittingham and co. could be wreaking havoc down at Fratton Park this weekend.

Not a bad weekend. Missed out on putting up what would've been my outsider (Rochdale) but will settle for what I got.

Ipswich @ 5/6 - 2.5pts vs. Bristol City - WIN - Returns 4.58

Cardiff @ 7/5 - 2pts. vs. Portsmouth - WIN - Returns 4.80

Total profit: 4.88pts

New Bank = 110.78pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Nice write ups and a good start :) look forward to reading more of your bets

Cheers mate, hopefully the profits will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Great start mate, keep up the good work.

Cheers Pyro if I can get my profits up to anywhere near your thread by the end of the season I'll be doing well!

Had a nice punt on both sides aswell so happy enough with the outcome (although I did leave most of it behind the bar last night!)

Going with a couple of midweek bankers. Not going to tough the Internationals by the looks of things because they're very little value and they've very tight and cagey affairs.

Charlton @ 4/6 vs. Dagenham and Redbridge - 5pts.

Biggest punt of the log so far but I think it's worth it. There's a couple of reasons I feel Charlton will have too much for Dagenham. The first is that their squad is a cut above Dagenham's IMO. They were inches away from promotion last season and narrowly missed out on the last day. They've just recently added Benson to their strikeforce - Dagenham's ace striker who netted 43 goals in the last two seasons.

The second reason is their record at home in the last couple of seasons. Last year their home record read W15 L3 D5. A phenomenal record and the main reason they were challenging to get into the championship.

At the start of the season, I would have been looking at Southampton and Charlton as the two sides that would be in the promotion reckoning from League One and I'm sticking with the Addicks to get another three points.

More to follow..

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

Is this not a cup game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Cheers for the tip, backed it myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

Great write ups and very good tips
    keep up the good work

paulb06 wrote: »
    Is this not a cup game?

Yes, it was a cup game but felt Charlton were just too well equiped for them.

Old Bank = 110.78pts.
    Less stake = 5pts
    Return = 8.33
    New bank = 114.11

Cheers lads (DaPoolRulz and jkelly), will try tip up a few more soon. But as I said, not a fan of internationals so will give a miss this weekend..

Some tipping for the weekend, might aswell get them up early.

Bankers:
    Newcastle @ 8/13 vs. Blackpool - 4pts

There's no taking away from how well Blackpool have started this season. Fair enough they got battered by Arsenal but they've managed to take points off Fulham and Wigan in their opening ties. However, Wigan looked a side completely out of sorts and a spectacular own goal by John Painstil handed them the advantage against Fulham.
    article-1164240-040DB89C000005DC-248_306x505.jpg

Newcastle at home are a tough prospect for them. They've had the same start but looked to have a bit more about them. They caught Villa at a nice time when they knocked them for 6 but their record from last season at home reads W18-D5-L0. That's seriously impressive and it was the basis for their promotion. And this year it can be the basis for their survival.

Cardiff @ 8/13 vs. Hull City - 3pts

Going for Cardiff for the second week running. Really think they have too much for most the sides in this divion. Unbeaten thus far and with guys like Whittingham, Bellamy, Chopra, Bothroyd and Koumas - most sides will struggle against them and this weekend Hull are next up.

Hull have had a tough start to the new season and have 4 points from 4 games. Last time out they lost 3-1 to Doncaster and they were dumped out of the League Cup by Brentford a few days previous to that. They've lost key players from the last couple of years and being honest, their manager doesn't strike confidence in me. Oh and there's the little case of not having won a game away from home since Fulham in March '09 - a ridiculous amount of time.

It's another chance for the Welsh outfit to push on at the top and prove their title challengers.

* More to follow tomorrow/Saturday morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Interesting read mate, well put together, best of luck

UI's Treble:

Leeds @ 5/4 vs. Swansea
    Ipswich @ 11/8 vs. Portsmouth
    QPR @ Evs vs. M'Boro

1pt @ 9.6

Leeds at home look a good price up against inconsistent and uninspiring travellers Swansea. Having lost both games on the road, Swansea are also missing influential playmaker Darren Platley whilst Rangel, Beattie and Bodde are all also out for the Elland Road clash. Leeds on the other hand are slowly getting their squad back to full fitness and added Ross McCormack to their ranks recently. Buoyed by a packed home crowd, can't see past Leeds in this one.

Almost every week running I look at who Portsmouth are up against because with their squad as paper thin as it is, they look a team that is in freefall. They have added Liam Lawrence and Dave Kitson, but lost Marc Wilson and Tommy Smith. So they've lost as much as they've gained. They've lost their last three and face an up and coming Ipswich side who seem full of confidence this season. One thing about Keano's sides, when they build a full head of steam they can take on anyone and they're up there challenging already at the top.

QPR for me are great odds against a misfiring Middlesboro outfit. At home, flying in the league, against a side with injury concerns hanging over the heads of Kris Boyd and Barry Robson. QPR are one of my tips for the Championship with Neil Warnock at the helm they've an experienced manager for the first time in a while in a rocky club.

Outsider:

Sunderland @ 9/5 vs. Wigan. 2pts

Wigan really don't know whether they're coming or going this weather. One minute they look brilliant, the next they're getting spanked. They won't get much tougher strikeforces to deal with than Bent and Gyan (if he plays) this weekend and considering their defence is open for business these days, it could get messy for Martinez' men. 9/5 looks too tempting to turn down.

• Advertisement

Not going too badly, if only Newcastle didn't piss about against Blackpool.

If Ipswich get one against Portsmouth we'll be singing.

Old Bank - 114.11pts
    Staked - 10pts.
    Returned - 4.84pts.
    New Bank - 108.95pts.

Still up but took a hit last week. Was going well at one stage only for Wigan to blow their lead and Ipswich failing to find a breakthrough. As for Newcastle... they can f**k right off! Ah no, underestimated Blackpool - might give backing against them a miss until January or so when they start to feel the strain.

Tips to follow shortly.

Stoke @ 11/10 vs West Ham - 4pts.

West Ham really are struggling thus far this season. Not only is Robert Green continuing to play like a plank, but they don't have anything decent down the other end of the pitch either. Stoke on the other hand are a team they're likely to struggle against. WH are not the best at dealing with physical sides and Stoke's set pieces are of serious quality with big men such as Huth, Jones, and Diao able to capitalise on any lapses at the back.

There's also the fact the Hammers seem to get travel sickness when they leave Upton Park. They've picked up 9 points on the road since August last year (their only win coming on the first day of the season last season).

Time to fill your socks with a home win.

Everton @ 4/6 vs. Newcastle - 3.5pts.

Newcastle let me down last weekend and this weekend I think they're there for the taking again - this time away to Everton. Whilst Everton managed to pull two goals out of the bag against United, Newcastle were well beaten against Blackpool in a battle of two sides that arrived into the Premiership this season. Everton are slowly but surely getting players back from injury and despite Tim Cahill being a doubt for the game, they have one of the best midfield's in the Premiership and welcome back Phil Neville to the side.

I feel its going to be a tough travel for Newcastle against a side that will soon get into their stride.

N.B - Another market to look at for this game is the 'Under/Overs' market and I think there'll be quite a few goals in this one.
    Further Selection (s) => Over 2.5 Goals @ 4/5 - 2pts. and Over 3.5 Goals @ 2/1 - 1pt.

image-6-for-gallery-marouane-fellaini-picture-gallery-67182609.jpg

Charlton @ 5/4 vs. Tranmere - 3pts.

After last seasons exploits, Charlton were always going to be up there challenging for honours in League One and they make the visit to Tranmere this weekend. Tranmere have a doubt hanging over the head of their ace striker Ian Thomas-Moore whilst there are other concerns over Liam Darville and Paul McClaren.

Whilst Charlton had an excellent win against Notts County in their last fixture, Tranmere lost out to 23rd placed Yeovil and have picked up 5 points from their opening 6 fixtures.

As I've said before, don't particularly like going away from home with my selections but this one has to be taken up.

UI Treble - 2pts.
    QPR @ 8/5
    Norwich @ 9/5
    Huddersfield @ 1/2
    -Treble @ 10.5

Total Points in Play - 15.5pts.

That's it for the weekend - happy punting. :)

Just aswell my treble saved me, that was going to be a horrific day.

Old Bank - 108.95pts
    Total Staked - 15.5pts
    Returned - 21pts.
    New Bank - 114.45pts

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

Just aswell my treble saved me, that was going to be a horrific day.

Old Bank - 108.95pts
    Total Staked - 15.5pts
    Returned - 21pts.
    New Bank - 114.45pts

Hi UIAny midweek selections coming from yourself? Surprised you didn't have anything for the weekend just gone :)

paulb06 wrote: »
    Hi UIAny midweek selections coming from yourself? Surprised you didn't have anything for the weekend just gone :)

Had a very busy weekend with work so didn't get a chance to put up my selections but will have a few midweek ones up in about 10-15 mins including a bit of a betting tip/advice on a market thats worth looking at.

:)

Few games for the midweek to keep the interest..

QPR @ 8/13 vs. Millwall - 4pts.

Okay, it's a bit of a no-brainer. One team top of the league unbeaten whilst the other is recently promoted and currently on a dire run of form. QPR might be missing Shaun Derry for this one but Millwall are certain to miss Liam Trotter due to a sending off during the weekend. With Trotter out and Carter still missing due to injury, they're lacking a little around the middle of the park for the trip to Loftus Road.

QPR could welcome back Martin Rowlands (did his cruciate playing for Ireland a year or so ago) as he made the bench last weekend for the second time.

At home, QPR should be just too strong for the Lions. No goals conceded at home thus far, no points dropped and with Helguson and Mackie firing the way they are they'll be hard caught at the top of the Championship. Going with Mackie to score anytime @ 11/10 for 1pt also to add an extra bit of value to the game.
    jamie-mackie_1704765c.jpg

Southampton @ 11/10 vs. Yeovil Town - 3pts.

Southampton, amazingly, were 6/1 at the start of last Saturday for promotion despite languishing around the relegation zone. A win over Sheff Wed will have boosted confidence in their camp following the changeover of managers in the last couple of weeks.

The Saints have some good players for the level they're playing at such as Lee Barnard, Rickie Lambert, Raidi Jaidi (who will make way for Jose Fonte if he returns), and Kelvin Davis.

I've a feeling they're going to go on a bit of a run after that victory at the weekend and Yeovil, sitting close to bottom of the table could be sitting ducks.

Tip for the weekday games:
    You might have noticed Ladbrokes and Paddy Powers are running these 'Goal Rush' type markets where they give certain odds on both sides scoring in any ties eg. 6 matches where both score @ 33/1. I've managed to make a nice bit in two certain competitions - the Europa League and the Carling Cup. The stats from the first round of games in the Europa League back up why it's a market to be looked at - 48 teams played, only 12 didn't score.

More selections to follow...

And just a final treble.. might put up another few selections tomorrow night.

UI Tuesday Treble:
    Colchester
    Leeds
    Brighton
    2pts @ 3.82

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Tip for the weekday games:
    You might have noticed Ladbrokes and Paddy Powers are running these 'Goal Rush' type markets where they give certain odds on both sides scoring in any ties eg. 6 matches where both score @ 33/1. I've managed to make a nice bit in two certain competitions - the Europa League and the Carling Cup. The stats from the first round of games in the Europa League back up why it's a market to be looked at - 48 teams played, only 12 didn't score.

More selections to follow...

I like the sound of this just for a bit of interest tonight.

Are they only available in store, and can you pick any games you want?

Any preference for PP over Ladbrokes?

Advertisement