Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An idea

• 19-08-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭

When we get our results back they should include the percentage score for each subject-this would help people deciding to appeal or not.Does anyone know why they don't currently do this?

Also it would be better if the points where printed on your result sheet-I've seen 3-4 people add there results up incorrectly only to realise their mistake hours later

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

The points arent given because the SEC is different to the CAO. I think percentages arent given because they arent releveant (No college or state body has LC "percentage" requirements, just grade requirements)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

whatever about the percentages I do think the points total should be given in a box at the end of the sheet! Its pointless not having it there and just another bit of stress for students on the day.
    Percentages arent that relevant because of the 1, 2, 3 type basis they break them down into. I would imagine that if a student gets 84% the marker would try push it to 85% if the can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I definetely think the points should be printed on it, the stress while you add up and work out your points can make you make mistakes. The percentages would be handy, that way you would know if you scraped a B3 or came very close to a B2 but not close enough, it would help you decide if appealing is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

True but you can view your scripts and they'll have all the percentages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Printing points on it would be too complicated. If you're going to UL you get bonus points for HL Maths, for example, how would that work? The CAO works independently to the SEC and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

did anyone else start using the percentage thing at the bottom of the page to add their points up yesterday - load of people in my school added them up wrong and ended up with 30 points too few :pac: twas a nice surprise when we copped on to the mistake;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I really wish they would print points on the results. I was happily surprised with my grades, until I added the points up, then my smile slowly faded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

When we get our results back they should include the percentage score for each subject-this would help people deciding to appeal or not.Does anyone know why they don't currently do this?
    I would imagine because it would take extra time, and delay the issue of results ... those who do the exam already feel (naturally!) that it takes too long to get their results, yet the reality is that there is a huge volume of correcting, checking and processing to be done in those few weeks, and adding to that work would be a bad idea. In any case, the best way to decide whether to appeal or not is to go and view your scripts with a teacher, preferably one who is an examiner ... a simple figure won't tell you anything tbh.
    dambarude wrote: »
    Printing points on it would be too complicated. If you're going to UL you get bonus points for HL Maths, for example, how would that work? The CAO works independently to the SEC and vice versa.
    Quite right.

And again, it would cause delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

I would imagine because it would take extra time, and delay the issue of results ... those who do the exam already feel (naturally!) that it takes too long to get their results, yet the reality is that there is a huge volume of correcting, checking and processing to be done in those few weeks, and adding to that work would be a bad idea. In any case, the best way to decide whether to appeal or not is to go and view your scripts with a teacher, preferably one who is an examiner ... a simple figure won't tell you anything tbh.

Wouldn't the points be calculated automatically by a computer though? Like, surely all our results go through a computer before printing anyway, so how would it take longer? There wouldn't be a need for human input at all after our results are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

dambarude wrote: »
    If you're going to UL you get bonus points for HL Maths, for example, how would that work? .

And of course, one would hope that if you're aiming for bonus points for mathematics, or indeed, have studied any mathematics at all, that you'd be able to add up six numbers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Wouldn't the points be calculated automatically by a computer though? Like, surely all our results go through a computer before printing anyway, so how would it take longer? There wouldn't be a need for human input at all after our results are in.
    And that's what the CAO computers are set up to do, and to take into account bonus points in certain colleges for certain courses, and then match the results against minimum requirements for courses, calculate cut-off points and match results against that, issue offers etc.

The SEC system isn't set to do any of that, so they would have to invest in programming and probably extra capacity to cope ... and while I know computers are extremely fast these days, running the programme for ~ 60k students is going to take time ... and it's duplication.

Surely people who have completed LC are capable of adding up their own points? ... and there's even several online calculators to do it for you.

What *would* be useful I think is if they printed the basic grades to points equivalency on the back of the results ... that should be easy enough to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

And that's what the CAO computers are set up to do, and to take into account bonus points in certain colleges for certain courses, and then match the results against minimum requirements for courses, calculate cut-off points and match results against that, issue offers etc.

The SEC system isn't set to do any of that, so they would have to invest in programming and probably extra capacity to cope ... and while I know computers are extremely fast these days, running the programme for ~ 60k students is going to take time ... and it's duplication.

Surely people who have completed LC are capable of adding up their own points? ... and there's even several online calculators to do it for you.

What *would* be useful I think is if they printed the basic grades to points equivalency on the back of the results ... that should be easy enough to do.

Oh yeah I see your point now :)

In my school they had sheets with the grade/point equivalence to make it easier for us. I would have thought they'd do that in most schools.

Advertisement