Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WASP NEST

Options
  • 19-08-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Wasp Nest, how do I find it and can I legally Get Rid ofF!! Been told the Nest is Protected???:mad:

Lot's of Wasps flying around no obvious nest around.
    The Kids have been Stung and I am steaming MAD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Wasp nests are not protected, but getting rid of nest does not necessarily get rid of wasps.

At this time of year, many nests are finished but all the workers, their duty finished are on their own and often cause problems. So getting the nest may not get all the wasps.

Also when wasps are killed (and bees) pheromones are released which alerts other wasps and these are more likely to sting.

Pest control companies deal with wasps. Find one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Those paper type wasp nests are easily got rid of if you're competent enough. Instead of using chemicals to kill the wasps, you need to use a black bin liner to surround the nest. Quickly break off the nest into the bin liner and tie it closed to prevent wasps escaping and stinging you. After that you can incinerate it or release them several miles from home. Its up to you. If you don't feel confident doing it, then you should get a pest control company. However, I have gotten rid of several wasp nests using the above method without ever getting stung.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

reilig wrote: »
    Those paper type wasp nests are easily got rid of if you're competent enough. Instead of using chemicals to kill the wasps, you need to use a black bin liner to surround the nest. Quickly break off the nest into the bin liner and tie it closed to prevent wasps escaping and stinging you. After that you can incinerate it or release them several miles from home. Its up to you. If you don't feel confident doing it, then you should get a pest control company. However, I have gotten rid of several wasp nests using the above method without ever getting stung.

I have a nest at the end of my garden, or in fact in the garden next door but there is a small hole in the fence that they are constantly flying through (hundreds of them). At the weekend I waited until dusk and then attacked the hole in the fence with wasp kill powder I got in B&Q. There didn't seem to be much action in response but the next day the numbers were greatly reduced. Last night I gave them another blast - seems to have done the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I used a can of the wasp nest destroyer foam to get rid of a nest,
    it can be used from 3-4m away so no stings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭stopusingoil

If the nest is in any way large do NOT use the bin-liner idea. My brother and I tried it on a nest in our attic a few years back. As soon as we were only a metre away the wasps freaked out and started stinging us both. We called in the pest control guy - he said it was the biggest nest he had ever seen and we were mad for trying to take it down....

Ps Whoever said getting rid of the nest doesn't get rid of the wasps is just plain wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Do not spray the nest with insecticide as you will not be able to eat the honey once the bees leave.

John85 wrote: »
    Do not spray the nest with insecticide as you will not be able to eat the honey once the bees leave.

Wasps don't make honey I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Sorry I thought it was a bees nest and what about the mexican honey wasp;)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

reilig wrote: »
    Wasps don't make honey I'm afraid

Still haven't found that Nest .. it's not on my Property or my neighbours...
    However the Wasps numbers are less that what they were (I assume due to the weather)
    So Another Question what can be done to Prevent or reduce the likelyhood of wasps visiting?

We have No rotten Fruit /Veg, Rubbish wheele bins are cleaned regularly so what is the sugar source for them??? (I believe it is Sugar they look for food)

We have loads of Flowers Mainly Dahlias and Impatiens now (No sign of Greenfly)

Anyone know of any plant that Wasps Hate??? or Dislike!!!

Carnivorous plants maybe :-)

John85 wrote: »
    Sorry I thought it was a bees nest and what about the mexican honey wasp;)

Are there many of those in Ireland ?? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement