Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC to PLC to Uni ? Possible ??

• 19-08-2010 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi there everyone i need major help at the moment
    i got 340 in the LC and i wanted about 480 / 490 to do Arts in Maynooth! , now i now i will defiantly not be accepted into Arts in Maynooth and what is worse for me is that the lowest points for a course on my top 10 CAO level 8 is 350! so i wont be accepted to any level 8's i don't think !! now i am rechecking 2 papers Geography and French as these results are normally my best and were disastrous !!! i am wondering if anyone could tell me how to get from a PLC course to ARTS or European Studies in Maynooth, i am sorry if this may be specific but i do not know how else to ask, in order to solve my problem !!
    I will not be repeating the Leaving Certificate for a number of personal reasons.

thanks i could really do with all the help i could get

i have applied for level 6/7 courses on my coa, mostly tourism related.

PLEASE :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭DC09

liamo22 wrote: »
    Hi there everyone i need major help at the moment
    i got 340 in the LC and i wanted about 480 / 490 to do Arts in Maynooth! , now i now i will defiantly not be accepted into Arts in Maynooth and what is worse for me is that the lowest points for a course on my top 10 CAO level 8 is 350! so i wont be accepted to any level 8's i don't think !! now i am rechecking 2 papers Geography and French as these results are normally my best and were disastrous !!! i am wondering if anyone could tell me how to get from a PLC course to ARTS or European Studies in Maynooth, i am sorry if this may be specific but i do not know how else to ask, in order to solve my problem !!
    I will not be repeating the Leaving Certificate for a number of personal reasons.

thanks i could really do with all the help i could get

i have applied for level 6/7 courses on my coa, mostly tourism related.

PLEASE :(
    Im not positive, but I thought the max. you can get from a PLC is 400 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I think you might be right DC09.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

firstly yes it is very possibly

second i thought arts in maynooth was around the 350 or 300 mark as far as i know

ok what you will need to do is start ringing and applying to plc colleges for courses related to what you want to do with arts

so basically if your planning on arts courses based around european studies start to apply for them

now the thing is though with plc's to get your transfer when graduated from them to a level 8 course you will need to be the best if not second best in your class and aim to get top marks in each and every subject which is part of the plc course, if you dont do this im afraid you will have barely if any chance of progressing onto a level 8

all the best

BUT LASTLY , dont start to panic yet, monday hasnt arrived and therefore no offers have been given so dont start to freak relax and hope your course drops

all the best and as i said wait to monday , you could be surprized

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Yeah listen to everything that Smartarse above me said.

(Nearly) every course has a limited (usually 2) number of places for people coming from PLCs and Maynooth definitely does with Arts. When applying with your PLC course points are not taken into account, however with a popular course like Arts you will need to get a distinction, ie be one of the top of your class.

Just ring some PLCs and tell them what you want to do and they should be able to point you in the right direction with regards the PLC you should do.

Don't panic, I have friends at home and in college who've gotten in through PLCs. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

PLCs don't always work in a points system. Often universities will have some link from a FETAC level course. Often mentioned in the prospectus.

For example, I'm studying multimedia.
    If I had taken a PLC in Multimedia Production,
    including 5 of the 8 certain modules they look for .
    and then gotten 5 distinctions, then I can apply.

have you looked at alternate access routes in the prospectus?

or, have you thought about taking a level 6/7 and then moving up after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

thanks all for the help but im even more confused now !!

im gonna ask a few questions i would really like answers !! sorry if i am boderin people !!

1. Is a PLC and a level 6/7 not the same?
    2. What is FETAC
    3. Arts in Maynooth was 375 last year (2009) and being one of the most popular courses id expect them points to rise alot)
    4. What exactly would "European Related PLC's" be ??
    5. I would rather do the European Studies Course and the points for that were 365 last year! is it harder to do a PLC and get into this course?

Thanks !! im really confused and sad :(

stupid pregnant guidance counceller !!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

i'll try
    1. Not always A PLC is often 1 year and will be a level 5 .. meaning you can transfer to a 6/7 from that.
    Sometime you get 2 year courses that are a level 6.
    2. The Further Education and Training Awards Council are the people who give the the certificate, its like the type of degree/certificate you get when finished.

and sorry thats all I know. I don't want to try give advice I know nothing about. Has anyone else here transferred from a PLC to arts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭BeeJazizWafuls

have a look at this course,

http://libertiescollege.ie/courses/details/liberal-arts-access-to-university

a friend of mine did it and ended up in european studies. I'm starting the course in september :)

Advertisement