Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What am I entitled to?

• 19-08-2010 3:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.
    I am on JSA about 16 months and I am living with a friend who is on part time job initiative.
    We are living in a 110 year old house with single glazing and no insulation.
    There is an open fire that only heats the living room. There is no central heating or back boiler. In our bedrooms we normally use those plug in oil radiators.

The house is lovely in the summer. As you can imagine it is like an ice box in the winter. At
    night time in winter the plug in heaters have to be left on all night.
    There is an electric shower but no hot water in the taps. I usually boil the kettle for dish washing etc.

Apart from that it is a lovely old house. I just found out that I am not entitled to Fuel Allowance because my friend is on PT job incentive.
    The fuel cost was very high last winter.

I am not crying poverty but I am just wondering would I or my friend be entitled to something because it is such an old house. In the winter if we dont have the radiators on, we end up getting ill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

You could check with the Local Authorities (Borough/County Councils). They used to have a scheme for grants to do up houses to bring them to a habitable condition. I think though these grants were aimed towards disabled or elderly persons. SW Fuel Allowance disqualifies everyone in the household if just one person doesn't qualify for it in their own right.

The only other thing if your renting surely the landlord is responsible for upkeep.

Advertisement