Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Full Time" Masters delivered two evenings a week?

Options
  • 19-08-2010 4:17pm

Hey all.

My girlfriend has accepted an offer of a full time masters in HRM. She's been planning and saving for it for going on 18 months now, so she was shocked to discover only yesterday that the course consists of five hours of lectures two evenings a week (4-9 pm mon and thurs).

This course was 'advertised' as full time in all literature and prospectus, and not a peep of what is, imo, an evening course structure until the payment forms came through yesterday.

Is this usual practice? She's quit her job and moved out of her current place in Mayo down to campus accommodation in UL (already paid for, typically) for the sake of a course she could have driven down to, when you get right down to it. I know it's the same course, but really two big stints of lectures in the evenings isn't what we'd have expected in any way form all that was available on the UL site or the literature sent out.

She feels really let down. When she checked with the admin today, the response was 'That's how we do that course'.

I just wanted to ask if we were dumb or naive to assume that a 'full time' 1 year masters would be delivered during 9-6 hours over a few days of the week?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Msirishbell

Hi There,

I know the course your talking about, a friend of mine did it 2 or 3 years ago.

I know it seems kinda unusual, the full time is two evenings a week over a year and the part time is one evening a week over two years. To be honest when you compare it with other full time masters its the same amount of in class time.

The work load is very intensive on the course and I know that my mate did see it as full time, he said the only way to have a job with it would be to do the part time unless you were working very few hours. The only difference is that other courses spread the hours more, this one really allows you to organise your time and have a good run of things rather than hanging around for a few hours in between each class and possibly getting no work done but then again I'm only going on what I've heard. I'd tell your girlfriend not to worry, the course is meant to be tough but very enjoyable, some very interesting modules from what I've heard. My friend really enjoyes the course.

Also, the two evening a week make up 4 modules and I'm actually starting a masters course myself that has 4 modules as well but the classes are spread over 4 days with hrs all over the place. So I think she is getting the same amount in terms of subjects and credits.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AMCD82

I think your girlfriend was a little naive in not looking for this type of information. This type of arrangment would not be unique in masters programmes that also offer a part-time component, particuarly where the part-time programme is aimed at individuals working full-time who bring the practical experience to the programme. Indeed this is why this masters is regarded as one of the best of its kind in Ireland in that there is an excelle dynamic between the full-time students (tend to be straight from undergraduate) and people with various levels of practical experience.

There is a considerable workload in each module so don't be fooled by the class contact hours. It is also EPAS accredited and CIPD accredited.

Advertisement