Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting and Sad Homeless Photos from the US

• 19-08-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not normally a fan of photos of the homeless as I find it kinda intrusive but I thought the photos below were interesting and of course sad. I can't say I like the way text for each photo is presented but looking past that it does sometimes give some interesting background to the person.

Please be warned though that I have come across at least one very graphic photo which could upset some people and which I would say definetly isn't suitable for viewing while at work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoneth

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not usually a fan of homeless photos either, but it's the sort which are taken from a distance and don't engage with the subject which set my teeth on edge. they seem exploitative of people who have found themselves in a **** place.
    this type i'm fine with, as it seems that the subjects are consenting to being photographed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the one of dexter is fantastic, btw. all he needs is a crown of thorns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

i'm not usually a fan of homeless photos either, but it's the sort which are taken from a distance and don't engage with the subject which set my teeth on edge. they seem exploitative of people who have found themselves in a **** place.
    this type i'm fine with, as it seems that the subjects are consenting to being photographed.

Yep I completely agree with you. It works as he's up close and personal with the people and there is some kind of understanding which I think shows through in the photos. His subjects are clearly comfortable having him around.

who was it who posted the photo of the down and out boxer here a year or so back? was that thebaz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

who was it who posted the photo of the down and out boxer here a year or so back? was that thebaz?

I think it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Certainly a very sad view of the USA. No wonder the American dream is so strong; many people have nothing but the dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Wow...those are some amazing portraits. I agree with the comments about pictures of homeless people taken from a distance. These are different though, these are portraits of people, who happen to be homeless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Truly excellent portrait work.. coupled with many sad stories.
    Definitely the work of a true chronicler.

Thanks for sharing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

First Class work there.. The Black and White really catches the hopeless mood..

This is not what the Yanks like the outsiders to see.

Thanks for Sharing and great find....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

A lot of them seem overprocessed to me, tonemapped or pseudo HDR'd which is having more of an impact on how they look than the subject itself. The tones just don't look natural at all.

Not my cup of tea at all.

• Advertisement

This is not what the Yanks like the outsiders to see.

Huh?!? You mean America isn't the land of milk and honey? Who knew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

This expatriate yank knew! That's why I F$£('ed off from there! (Well, that and a lot of other things.)
    Huh?!? You mean America isn't the land of milk and honey? Who knew!

Heebie wrote: »
    This expatriate yank knew! That's why I F$£('ed off from there! (Well, that and a lot of other things.)

Ditto and ditto...13 years and counting :)

I remember taking my Irish wife to a wedding in Jackson Mississippi a good few years ago. She was floored by the poverty we saw. I think she thought B. H. 90210 was real...

Advertisement