Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Earliest Memory Supporting Your Team

• 19-08-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭

Seeing as there is another nostalgic thread about why you started supporting your club I said id throw this one in the mix .

My earliest significant memory of supporting Liverpool was sitting in my Dads car a few days before my 8th birthday back in 1991 . He had just gone into a shop when a newsflash came on the radio saying that Kenny Dalglish had just announced his retirement.

I know i was young but this was big big news to me as i knew my Dad was a huge Pool fan & i supported them also but cant remember any games before this announcement . When he came out of the shop i told him & he started laughing saying "yea, sure" or something to that extent . After all Liverpool were still well in contention to retain the League & were also still in the FA Cup - no reason for him to leave surely!

When Dad finally realised it was true on the way home he was absolutely gutted & shell shocked. He was glued to the coverage on the tv for the rest of the night , after all he was a life long Pool fan. That season ended miserably with Liverpool finishing second in the league to Arsenal. My memories of supporting Liverpool are a lot fresher in my memory since that night :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

liverpool winning the league cup in 1995 for some reason i cant remember any matches before that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

My earliest memory of seeing United play is watching the '96 FA Cup Final, when I would have been aged 7, but oddly enough, I don't remember Cantona's goal. I was hooked from then on though and spent a lot of that summer reading United magazines and old annuals that my brother had to prepare for the start of the 96/97 season and the whole thing snowballed from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

On my brother's Christening I was 5, Everton v United was the FA Cup Final and it was on down in the bar. First time I really got into it and the place was full of reds, Rideout scored and I cheered with my Dad. Little did I know the entire place was given us evils :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

It was I think when I heard on the news that sylvain wiltord had scored that goal that one the league for arsenal. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I remember the match where I started supporting United, as mentioned in the other thread, but apart from that my earliest partial memory is Andy Cole scoring 5 goals against Ipswich back in 95. I dont remember the game as such, just everybody talking about it for a while. The earliest full memory I have is the 1996 FA Cup final versus Liverpool. I remember when United scored, my older brother started crying (Liverpool fan). To this day he still maintains it was because he hit his knee of the corner of the chair while trying to give me a punch for celebrating too much when the goal went in. Suuuuuuure :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Archimedes wrote: »
    I remember the match where I started supporting United, as mentioned in the other thread, but apart from that my earliest partial memory is Andy Cole scoring 5 goals against Ipswich back in 95. I dont remember the game as such, just everybody talking about it for a while. The earliest full memory I have is the 1996 FA Cup final versus Liverpool. I remember when United scored, my older brother started crying (Liverpool fan). To this day he still maintains it was because he hit his knee of the corner of the chair while trying to give me a punch for celebrating too much when the goal went in. Suuuuuuure :pac:

jaysus, i think I remember watching the highlights of that ipswich match on the premiership :O:O

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I have a vague recollection of being upset when Liverpool lost to Brighton in either the 3rd or 4th round of the FA Cup in 1983. I was only 6 then though, so don't think I knew more than it was a bad thing. My first proper memory is staying up late to watch the 1984 European Cup final and Brucies wobbly legs. After that they come thick and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

1996 FA Cup final, I would have been 8 and I had a bet with my mate for 50p. I never paid and he only brought it up the other day. He wants a 50p coin and won't accept anything anything else. I remember after the goal went in he came running out of his house celebrating.

I'm not normally a welcher, I'll give him his 50p someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

I don't really remember any matches from early on but I remember running up to the players after matches to get their autographs. Deccie Daly and Roy Keane were my two favourite players growing up. Also remember drinking Tanora and munching Wine Gums and Silvermints :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

I remember bits of Dalymount when I was younger, mainly the fans more so than the action on the pitch. I remember the first match I went to we won 6 nil against Longford but I can't remember who scored or much of the match itself, just remember the amazing atmosphere in the ground, main stand and the shed was sold out that night. Players were always great to the kids, signing autographs after the matches and having chats with the fans.

My first clear memory of Bohs was Glen Crowe scoring the winner against Shamrock Rovers in the 2001 FAI Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Earliest Man Utd memory was losing 6-0 to Ipswich in about 1978, Ipswich missed two penalties that day too. Also the FA cup final in 1979. 2 nil down with 5 minutes left, ended up losing 3-2, I was heartbroken and have never forgiven Liam Brady and Alan Sunderland.

Earliest Rovers memory was losing the FAI Cup final to UCD in 1984. Went to see them playing Man Utd two weeks later in a friendly at Milltown when they beat Utd 2-0 and have been hooked ever since. Dont ever accuse me of being a gloryhunter, it would appear I like losers ;o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

89/90 season, its the monday after Liverpool have beaten Spurs, queue my self and all the other lads going in to class to chant the winning score line to our Spurs supporter teacher. Its been a difficult love affair since.

:)

Watching the '86 cup final with my Dad.

A fine day it was :)

Couldn't celebrate though.:(

I was seven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

'99 Champions League final, I think it was a video of it, though, not the live game. Not entirely sure.

I also seem to remember United scoring a goal against Arsenal, but the ball rolled under the net and the ref discounted it. Did that ever happen?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

My earliest football memory is not Packie Bonners save, I don't really remember that, but O'Leary scoring will be etched in my mind forever.

I was only 6, it is probably one of my first memories. Special :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Mine was 96 Cup Final aswell , seems loads have that memory ! Also England in Euro 96 aswell going out on penos !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

My earliest memory supporting Ireland was Houghton scoring against Italy. Don't remember anything about the game but remember after Houghton scored my dad jumping up and doing tumbles around the room. My little brother then pocketing a pound that fell out of his pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

My first Ireland memory was beating Iran in the play-offs and the WC that followed.

Remember the Spanish penalties way too well.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

My earliest memory is from the last day of the '93-'94 season, Everton needed to beat Wimbledon to avoid relegation, but due to an own goal and a penalty ended up 2-0 down inside half an hour. Eventually went on to win 3-2, Graham Stuart saving the club 8 minutes from time.
    Voltwad wrote: »
    On my brother's Christening I was 5, Everton v United was the FA Cup Final and it was on down in the bar. First time I really got into it and the place was full of reds, Rideout scored and I cheered with my Dad. Little did I know the entire place was given us evils :)

Sounds exactly like me. I was 7, watched the game in the Greyhound Bar in Tralee with the only other Everton fan I knew, place was stuffed with about 200 United fans giving it everything. My two strongest memories of the game itself are the goal, and when Schmichael came up for a corner and someone booted the ball up field to Danny Amokachi, but he tried to run with it instead of taking the damn shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

NI against Spain in 82 WC for some reason. After that is the FA cup final in 83.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Earliest memory as an Everton fan is sitting in my da's car listening to Everton beating Liverpool in 88 i think. Nearly sure Wayne Clarke got the goal and we ended a record breaking run they were on. Another early memory and i havent a clue what year it was is Villa hammering us 6-2 and it was live on tv...live match on tv was a rare thing back then :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

November 1988 on way to a Celtic Rangers game at Parkhead and getting pelted with bottles from Rangers fans when we were on the bus. We won 3-1 and Terry Butcher scored og :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

earliest football memory is ireland v romania penalty shot out.i have a vague memory of watching united in the fa cup think it was 91/92,for some reason i can remember neil webb was playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

1977 FA Cup Final on BBC

Utd 2 Liverpool 1

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i was 7 at the time, but i remember as if it was yesterday, the mark robbins goal v forest in the 3rd round of the 90 fa cup. we had an old radio at home that the signal kept dropping on and that night , myself and my brother were glued to it as if our lives depended on it. that kept fergie in his job and i actually remember where i was the day of the final and the replay too. i missed the first game, as i was involved in a match that day at home, but saw the replay the following wednesday night.

italy 90 a few weeks later also sticks out, i remember all the games and running into the front garden when o leary scored.

good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Remember been given the celtic jersey from 1988 and i even remember asking where the "flower was"? it was a special edition that year :-)

thats the earliest memory i have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

in a crowded pub with smoke everywhere ca march 1988, me: sitting on a pool table (the only vacant spot it seemed).

the match
    Everton vs Liverpool

the score: 1:0 wayne clarke plundered a goal into the park end and the pub erupted... and Everton put a halt to the reds unbeaten start to the season.

happy days, lol!

well maybe not :D, but quite a lot seemed to go crazey, me included.. the rest is history as they say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

in a crowded pub with smoke everywhere ca march 1988, me: sitting on a pool table (the only vacant spot it seemed).

the match
    Everton vs Liverpool

the score: 1:0 wayne clarke plundered a goal into the park end and the pub erupted... and Everton put a halt to the reds unbeaten start to the season.

happy days, lol!

well maybe not :D, but quite a lot seemed to go crazey, me included.. the rest is history as they say

Same first memory of supporting the Blues? How we've suffered since :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

hitman79 wrote: »
    Same first memory of supporting the Blues? How we've suffered since :D

TBH we are not the only ones who have suffered.

Everton : number of titles since 'back then' 1986-1987 =1

Liverpool: number of titles since,, etc... 1987-1988 & 1989-1990 =2

halcyon (beautiful) days as we say....RIP !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Seeing a black lad :eek: He was alright suppose.

Honeslty never seen one (black person) before turned out to be the greatest ever irish player ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What sticks out as an early memory was this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--LYQ-Tdc3w

I remember watching it on the BBC, the comeback just sticks out in my mind and it's still up there as one of my favourite games ever. I ran around the house like a mad thing after Vialli's 2nd and split my hand open of a door, my mam was over in London and I remember her ringing and my being so happy on the phone telling her about the comeback :) and then about my hand. I was 8. :o

Then Di Matteo's goal in the final. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CFC1905_NK

Chelsea 3 Everton 1 in the 1998/99 season. Getting the home jersey that year from my parents for my 8th birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Watching United lose to Southampton in the 1976 FA Cup final to that offside goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Swapping a big plastic Everton crest for a Liverpool one my brother had because I liked the look of the bird on the front. It's my very first memory of anything to do with Liverpool. My parents brought them back from a trip to england.

I asked my dad about it few years back as I thought I was around 10 at the time and he was absolutely gobsmacked I remembered it as I was only 4 at the time!! :eek:

Have been supporting the "pretty bird" ever since :pac:

Edit : Being 4 also makes it my earliest memory aswell which is pretty crazy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Anything to do with Kanchelskis tearing down the wing. Loved watching him play. Gutted when he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

First Pats match: On telly vs Shels around 2000.Pats won 4-1.

First Liverpool match: 2-1 defeat to United in the FA Cup in 1999.

First Ireland match: 1-1 vs Turkey,Euro 2000 qualifier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Earliest memory of United was the 85 Cup final. Didn't really start supporting them proper til the 1991 Cup Winners Cup campaign, a 3-1 away win at Legia Warsaw having drawn the home leg was where it all started for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Earliest football memory is Raaaay Houghtonnnnn doing his tumbles against Italy in 94, earliest football memory is Cantona's return from ban against the mighty Pool in 95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Ireland

Ireland v Romania 1990

Manchester United (1993-1999)

Charity Shield v Arsenal 1993

West Ham United (1999-Present Day)

Leaving Upton Park on Sunday 21st November 1999, after 4-3 win over Sheffield Wednesday,walking up Green Street and saying to my Dad, "Im a West Ham Fan now" !

Shelbourne

Shelbourne v Sligo Rovers 0-0 Tolka Park 27th October 1995. Was hooked after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Ireland

Ireland v France 3 - 2 1981 WC Qual

Bohs

Bohs 0 - 1 Limerick FAI Cup Final 1982

Man U v Brighton FA Cup Final 1983

Celtic v Dundee U SFA CUp final 85

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Being about 6 watching Man City vs Cork City in Cork, won 2-0, .... Was ballin crying with a tooth ache on the way home to KK and got the father done for speeding cause he was tryin to get me home!!

Advertisement