Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coase Theorem

• 19-08-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question guys - why is the Coase Theorem unlikely to achieve the optimal level of pollution when the polluter is a monopolist?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Dunno. Possibly because their output is not optimal in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Dunno. Possibly because their output is not optimal in the first place.

Aye, well I'd have guessed it's to do with producing at MC = MR. Just trying to find something concrete you can expand on is difficult without sounding too vague. Im sure there's some sort of link between their own MC and the MC to society from pollution, but like I said, just tricky to write about :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Do you mean a simple Edgeworth box—two person, two good—economy where one person has monopoly power, i.e. they can set prices? You could just alter the usual monopoly picture here, illustrating inefficiency for, say, money and clean air/water/whatever.

Advertisement