Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are they now?

• 19-08-2010 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

So there's always players who are on the fringes in clubs or who are up and coming players who you think might break into the first team. In this thread you pick a player who was once pretty well known or was on the books in a team but didn't make it and have gone on other teams in the lower leagues.

first off

Luck Chadwick - Former Man Utd winger.

Currently plays with Milton Keynes Dons.

Stephen Elliot - Former Sunderland and Man City striker, and Irish international.

Currently plays with Hearts.

Michael Stewart - Former Man Utd midfielder

Currently plays with turkish club Gençlerbirliği

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Where is Ian Harte at these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Carlisle United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Next on the list will be Aidan McGeady for Moscow.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Joyce Country

James "Jim" O'Brien - Former Irish u-21 star made his senior Celtic debut in a 2–1 victory over Gretna on 7 October 2007 but never really made the mark at Paradise.

Stuck with Barnsley now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Stefan Moore - Captain of Villa's 2003 FA Youth Cup winning team - Halesowen Town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

Cherno Samba is currently playing for Panetolikos FC in the 2nd tier of Greek football. He signed for FC Haka after(?) we played them in the UEFA Cup last year. When he was a young lad both Manchester United and Liverpool were interested in buying him from Millwall. A Championship Manager legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Willow Flood .. Where is he ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Pure_Cork wrote: »
    Carlisle United

He scored 18 league goals (19 in all comps) last season.
    mixednuts wrote: »
    Willow Flood .. Where is he ?

He is playing for Middlesbrough after a stint at Celtic. He started the 1st league game this season but picked up a season ending injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bojan Djordic was the next big thing at United back in the early noughties. He won our Young Player of the Year award at one stage, and thus began the usual rite of passage of going on loan to lower league clubs. I remember telling my mate who supports Sheffied Wednesday that they got a future world star on loan. Think he only made a handful of appearances after that. Last I heard of him, he was in Hungary after being hounded out of Sweden after a woeful spell at AIK. Apparently he has a mighty fine opinion of himself because of his affiliation with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Francis Jeffers Former Arsenal forward - Sheffield Wednesday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Francis Jeffers - 'fox in the box' that Arsenal paid big money for to take from Everton. He's probably scored about 6 goals since then and is now without a club after an unsuccessful trial with Blackpool.

Edit - Redzer7 you ninja :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

how about recent irish internationals

Joeseph O'Cearuill
    Alan O'Brien
    Stephen Gleeson
    Joseph Lapira

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

For what it's worth, I do a series on Back Page Football called "What Could Have Been" about players who should have amounted to much more than what they actually did. There's only three installments so far, but its of relevance to this thread.

Sebastian Deisler
    Denilson
    Alvaro Recoba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

bamboozle wrote: »

Joeseph O'Cearuill

2006–2007 Arsenal 0 (0)
    2007 → Brighton & Hove Albion (loan) 8 (0)
    2007–2008 Barnet 14 (0)
    2008–2009 St Patrick's Athletic 20 (0) :o
    2009 Harlow Town 2 (0)
    2009 Boreham Wood 1 (0)
    2009– Forest Green Rovers 14 (0)
    National team‡
    2007 Republic of Ireland U21 1 (0)
    2006 Republic of Ireland B 1 (0)
    2007 Republic of Ireland 2 (0)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Jody Morris is with St Johnstone now, remeber there being a lot of fuss about him.

Michael Bridges scored 19 goals in his first EPL season with Leeds, he's now witht the Newcastle Jets.

Eric Djemba Djemba is with Odense I think.

Thats all I can think of for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Liam Miller had an interesting trip after being tipped as the new Roy Keane:

Celtic
    AGF Aarhus (loan)
    Manchester United
    Leeds United (loan)
    Sunderland
    Queens Park Rangers
    Hibernian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Alan O'Brien is now at Swindon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

o_betis_joaquin-40444.jpg

I mean, he's still at the top level. But hot damn, did he not pan out like he was supposed to.

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Jody Morris is with St Johnstone now, remeber there being a lot of fuss about him.

His only claim to fame is being involved with the Terry Byrne nightclub incident.

And being "promising" at some stage and playing for chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Maybe someone can help with this....former Irish international, second name Thornton/Thornley (I think??)

Played left wing no.11 in Irelands first friendly after WC2002, won 3-0 in Iceland iirc. Cant remember his first name, think he only got another cap or 2 after that and then disappeared. Pretty obscure I know.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    o_betis_joaquin-40444.jpg

I mean, he's still at the top level. But hot damn, did he not pan out like he was supposed to.

Left betis signed for recent champions :confused:

Yeah i know hes been **** for years with them but awesome with betis, god i hate that **** :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Maybe someone can help with this....former Irish international, second name Thornton/Thornley (I think??)

Played left wing no.11 in Irelands first friendly after WC2002, won 3-0 in Iceland iirc. Cant remember his first name, think he only got another cap or 2 after that and then disappeared. Pretty obscure I know.

Sean Thornton i reckon? With non league Histon after Orient let him go.

What about Andy Van Der Meyde? Only 30 and without a club...good enough for him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

dreamers75 wrote: »
    His only claim to fame is being involved with the Terry Byrne nightclub incident.

And being "promising" at some stage and playing for chelsea.

That must have been what all the fuss was about so!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Tonton Zola Moukoko. Joined Derby at 15 from Djungarden. Apparently turned down a contract from AC Milan. Now plays for Atlantis FC in Finland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

bamboozle wrote: »

Joeseph O'Cearuill
    Alan O'Brien
    Stephen Gleeson
    Joseph Lapira

The decision to call up, and cap Joseph Lapira represents the biggest disgrace in the history of UEFA. Lapira was a name around US College "soccer" and the US Developmental League. He was capped at a time when many, more worthy League of Ireland players were left behind. In fact, it would have been more fitting to have offered Gooch Cooper, or Owen Mulligan the chance to earn a Cap. Lapira had as much business on an International Pitch as your average Sunday League Player.

Alan O'Brien was another whopper of a decision by Steve Staunton. The man had Three International Caps, including a bit part in the defeat to Germany in Stuttgart in September 2006, before he ever played a full 90 Mins for Newcastle United.

Gleeson remains at MK Dons. He was another player whose international cap collection, at one time. outnumbered the amount of first team starts he enjoyed with Wolves.

Along with the likes of Terry Dixon (Who still hasnt made a first team start, notwithstanding a terrible injury), Wayne Henderson (who's 09-10 team managed to fall out of League Football), and Jonathan Douglas, Steve Staunton managed to put faith in the most unlikely and stupid of sources. It paid off of course !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

hitman79 wrote: »
    Sean Thornton i reckon? With non league Histon after Orient let him go.

Thats him, cheers. Wikipedia says he never won a senior cap :confused: Either wikipedia is wrong or I am.

Edit: He fell out with Don Givens, jesus did anyone NOT fall out with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Stefan Moore - Captain of Villa's 2003 FA Youth Cup winning team - Halesowen Town.

Think he also works as a Taxi driver

Also Lee Hendrie

Former Villa central midfielder and England international

Now playing kickabout down the park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Sean Thornton ?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Jody Morris's name reminded me of Jon Harley. He came into the Chelsea team around the same time as John Terry and looked promising.

But after he signed for Fulham his career has steadly gone downhill. Went to Shef utd for free then Burnley for £75,000. Signed for Notts county this summer.

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote: »
    Sean Thornton ?

had issues with nightclubs, guns and people with guns at a training ground the night after a night in a nightclub.

So vague yet so true :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Denilson, Betis' former world record signing.

Now 32 and currently without a club after being released by Greek club Kavala without playing a game for them.

Got there via (amongst others) Al Nassr of Saudi Arabia, Itumbiara of Brazil, FC Dallas in the US and Hai Phong Cement in Vietnam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

profile-97.jpg

Just read that he is dead, oh what could of been :(

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rivaldo still playing away is he?

Denilson, Betis' former world record signing.

Now 32 and currently without a club after being released by Greek club Kavala without playing a game for them.

Got there via (amongst others) Al Nassr of Saudi Arabia, Itumbiara of Brazil, FC Dallas in the US and Hai Phong Cement in Vietnam.

Brilliant story tho, he was bought for X amount with a 80 million? buyout clause at the time i wondered and posted here "what if they got relegated, would the clause still stand" :D which they duly did and the clause did.

Tbh thats what killed him other than being a complete party animal if they had of sold him then, they bought him with aspirations of winning the league and got relegated :D

Its not hard to see that the lad was utterly brilliant at football just flawed at being a footballer and rich.

/sevilla fan **** Betis :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Freddy Adu spent last season on loan at Aris Thessaloniki in Greece and is rumoured to be signing for the LA Galaxy shortly. He is still only 20 though.

Denilson(not the Arsenal one) is currently playing for AO Kavala in Greece

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Ian_K

Het-Field wrote: »
    Sean Thornton

Saw him one time when the ireland under 21s were training at my local club, he had mad blonde hair, thought he was the next big thing, told us his name was justin timberlake, my brother believed him

Brilliant story tho, he was bought for X amount with a 80 million? buyout clause at the time i wondered and posted here "what if they got relegated, would the clause still stand" :D which they duly did and the clause did.

Tbh thats what killed him other than being a complete party animal if they had of sold him then, they bought him with aspirations of winning the league and got relegated :D

Its not hard to see that the lad was utterly brilliant at football just flawed at being a footballer and rich.

/sevilla fan **** Betis :D

If he's looking for a game, I'd take him at Pats, I'm sure Pete Mahon would knock the edges off him! :pac:

If he's looking for a game, I'd take him at Pats, I'm sure Pete Mahon would knock the edges off him! :pac:

You do realise Mc Dowells is right there :D

FFS he would go for HT pints with us!

Speaking of pats we have had some humdingers:

Marcus Hallows when i heard we signed a crackin stiker from Sligo i thought it was padraig Moran to replace Ricky, we got a ****ing elvis impersonator :(

keith Barker

he gave up football after pats and played Cricket :confused:

Or the brilliantly named Kevin Street who we had on loan during the 90s to get kicked, absolute pussy of a footballer sent to ireland to get kicked by Grady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,135 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Stephen Hughes who was the up and coming Arsenal midfielder at one stage in the late 90s. Always thought he looked good when given a chance. I wonder what happened to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

• Advertisement

You do realise Mc Dowells is right there :D

FFS he would go for HT pints with us!

Speaking of pats we have had some humdingers:

Marcus Hallows when i heard we signed a crackin stiker from Sligo i thought it was padraig Moran to replace Ricky, we got a ****ing elvis impersonator :(

keith Barker

he gave up football after pats and played Cricket :confused:

Or the brilliantly named Kevin Street who we had on loan during the 90s to get kicked, absolute pussy of a footballer sent to ireland to get kicked by Grady.

Mc Dowells would just sell the club to him more, he could take the edge off himself without Pete even getting involved! :D

One of my personal favourites is ex Bohemians defender Jimmy Aggrey, once on the books at Chelsea. Scored on his debut live on RTÉ against Rovers.

Quit football to play a footballer on Dream Team

Quazzie wrote: »
    Stephen Hughes who was the up and coming Arsenal midfielder at one stage in the late 90s. Always thought he looked good when given a chance. I wonder what happened to him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hughes_%28footballer_born_1976%29

hes free if you have a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Quazzie wrote: »

See him quite a bit on the Arsenal match day show on Arsenal tv online, hasn't changed that much, very well spoken chap also.

Another is Steve Morrow,he who scored the winning LKeague cup goal and was dropped by Tony Adams after the match in the celebrations, I know he went to QPR and to the US for a bit, also been on Arsenal tv, again very well spoken and really comes across as a nice chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This one shocked me!

Especially since he was supposedly the better player of the Moore Brothers. Now Luke Moore is playing in the Prem with WBA.

Madness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Sylvain Wiltord - Now playing for the Metz!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This one shocked me!

Especially since he was supposedly the better player of the Moore Brothers. Now Luke Moore is playing in the Prem with WBA.

Madness!

He had a bit of a cocaine problem alledgedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the old favourite Danny Cadamarteri. He was Everton's 'Michael Owen'!!

He was playing for Dundee United but I think they released him last week.

David Worrell is a Blackburn favourite of mine. He came through at Rovers with Duff and was meant to be the next big Irish midfielder.
    Worrell was part of the Ireland side who finished third in the 1997 FIFA World Youth Championship, featuring in all six matches, and has been capped eighteen times by Republic of Ireland under-21, also captaining the side. In addition, he played once for the Republic of Ireland B team in February 1998 featuring alongside future internationals such as Damien Duff, Richard Dunne and Robbie Keane.[4]

Last heard of at Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

eagle eye wrote: »
    Freddy Adu spent last season on loan at Aris Thessaloniki in Greece and is rumoured to be signing for the LA Galaxy shortly. He is still only 20 though.

20, really?! Think there's a question over his true age. I'd say he's nearer 42.

Joe Cole, won the youth cup with West Ham and spent a few years trying to break into the first team at Chelsea but it just didn't work out for him. Languishing at Liverpool these days but that's not going so well either!

Ah seriously feel bad for the guys who it doesn't work out for cos of injury. Some of the guys named above it didn't work out for cos they got caught up in drugs/partying/whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Robbie Ryan

Played u-21 for Ireland and played in the 2004 FA cup final with Millwall

Now working on the London Underground according to When Saturday Comes (issue 281)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ronnie Walwork.

Former Man Utd player who was famously banned for life after attacking a referee in Belgium :pac:

He won an appeal and was all over the shop. Few good seasons with The Baggies but was released by Wednesday in 2008 and has been without a club since!

• Advertisement
Advertisement