Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jose Carreras concert at Kilruddery House

Options
  • 19-08-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Just heard an ad on RTE for Jose Carreras' upcoming concert at Kilruddery House, Bray on 28th August.

All very well, except the second of the two musical excerpts on the ad (the Brindisi from "La traviata") featured one P. Domingo singing. Oops. :o

Tickets are from €85 to €155, so not surprised that they are still trying to flog them with only 9 days to the concert.
    http://www.killruddery.com/events/event_josecarreras.htm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

mambo wrote: »
    Just heard an ad on RTE for Jose Carreras' upcoming concert at Kilruddery House, Bray on 28th August.

All very well, except the second of the two musical excerpts on the ad (the Brindisi from "La traviata") featured one P. Domingo singing. Oops. :o

Tickets are from €85 to €155, so not surprised that they are still trying to flog them with only 9 days to the concert.
    http://www.killruddery.com/events/event_josecarreras.htm

I always felt he didn't really have it anyway, he was a good tenor but not one of the great operatic tenors of the second half of the 20th century. His career was given a huge fillip in its latter half of course by the three tenors jamboree, but his upper register struggles when trying to achieve volume. He bravely fought of cancer which helped the "human" side of his story, I heard him sing severeal time at the ROH in the 80s and 90s, he was good but not great. I wouldn't pay these sums to hear him now - I see this is this one of those ghastly amplified events outdoors - who are they trying to kid - you are not even allowed to bring your own picnic so they can fleece you even more with bad wine, and expensive food. Sitting outdoors in late August in Ireland to hear an amplified concert - in my book not a real concert. 85 euro for the cheapest ticket - they are having usual p*ss take laugh here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

His voice now is only a shadow of what it was before the leukemia episode, from which he never really recovered. He did recover from the actual illness but it destroyed his voice. I also heard him pre-illness and was very impressed, but he should have stopped singing when he got sick.

Jonny you are quite right, maybe I was bit harsh, I just don't think he was ever in the "great" category, few people are and its a phrase thrown around too much. You only get one or two great tenors every 30 years or so, the obvious ones in the most recent past are Pavorotti and domingo, personally I think if he manages his voice and career properly Florez will be to their equal, but his voice needs to be nurtured, now if he was singing and it was at the NCH and not amplified i would gladly pay 85 euro. unfortunately the weather doesn't look great this week but I wish the organisers well. No doubt the great and the good will be there.

Just clicked through out of interest and selected eight tickets at 85 euro - could be booked with ease - and then selected 6 premium tickets at 155- they also could be booked with ease.......it's clearly struggling to sell - hardly surprising really - these prices and outdoors in August and amplified - big time problem I would say - wonder what the price at Paddy Power will be that it is cancelled due to a sudden onset throat infection......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

He (Carreras) was a fantastic Calaf. There's a video of him singing the role with the pretty awful Eva Marton and with Lorin Maazel conducting. I think it was film at the Vienna opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Kas2010

I bought 2 tickets for my parents and unfortunately they wont be able to make it now, and im left with 2 tickets and i cant get rid of them!

Such a pity they wont make it, they reckon he's as great as he ever was:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You've paid your money go along and enjoy it yourself! but take a rug with you and a hip flask of Jemmy's to keep ye warm smuggled past security

3 Day Outlook
    Friday will be cool, with a mixture of sunny spells and scattered showers. Some of the showers will be heavy, especially in parts of Ulster and Connacht, but some parts will stay largely dry. Max. 15 to 18 Celsius

Will be cooler in the evening

Advertisement