Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car dealers who sell bad cars

Options
  • 19-08-2010 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Recently bought a lovely looking Ford from <snip>, great car, or so i thought. I have had it over 4 weeks and I have engine, interior and body problems. The radiator is in a very very bad way. They are claiming no responsibility. Beware of these guys, they will take your money and leave you in hot water.

Apparently there have been numerous complaints made against them to the Gardaí and consumer agencies also.

People like them disgust me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

I've heard about this crowd. Dreadful stuff.... A mate of mine bought a car from them and had a couple of problems, and despite there being a 3 month warranty they just wouldn't entertain them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 car car

That was exactly my problem, they wont even answer a call from me. My wife is so upset over it all.

I heard of a neighbour being sold a car from there with a faulty handbreak.

They should be shut down before someone gets hurt as a result of buying a car from them.

I cant seem to get any help anywhere regarding the situation.

Best avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

If the value of the car is under €2000, then you can use the Small Claims court to get your money back. Otherwise, it's time to break out the lawyers.

Sadly tried both but apparently Id spend as much trying to catch them as I would get off them so I would be at a loss.

Also apparently they are trading under a few names to avoid trouble.

What kind of country are we living in at all?

Small Claims costs €15. It wouldn't cost you any more than this to pursue them. Even a solicitor would only cost €50-100 to write a letter. A letter may be enough to get them to cough up the dough, without the need for court at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

jor el wrote: »
    Small Claims costs €15. It wouldn't cost you any more than this to pursue them. Even a solicitor would only cost €50-100 to write a letter. A letter may be enough to get them to cough up the dough, without the need for court at all.

You know the SCC has no powers of enforcment of judgments - if the SCC found in your favour and they refused to pay up (which is a possibility here) then you would need to hire the sheriff (at your expense) to enforce the payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have removed the business name as there are no firm facts to support the allegations.

What steps are you taking to get some satisfaction?

Either get a claim lodged in the SCC or hire solicitors. They are putting you out of pocket and causing you grief. You need to take steps to resolve the situation. Otherwise, they will get away with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

ask a radio station or paper to do a story on them, surely its illegal to use a car thats not road worthy (faulty handbrake)

Have been told by solicitor that if i pursue them they may not pay up, if they do eventually, they will not be obliged to cover my legal expenses so i cant win without being out of pocket. I have tried everything.

I just am annoyed that these bad people can continue dealing bad cars as normal.

What if someone gets hurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

car car wrote: »
    Have been told by solicitor that if i pursue them they may not pay up, if they do eventually, they will not be obliged to cover my legal expenses so i cant win without being out of pocket. I have tried everything.

I just am annoyed that these bad people can continue dealing bad cars as normal.

What if someone gets hurt?

If you can 100% stand over any allegation that you have against this business, how about making a nice big sign with the required info. Park the offending car outside or as close as you can to their premises and have the sign letting all potential customers know what issues you are having.

If you can stand over the allegations I am sure they will come to some sort of agreement ... it would also be nice to have something that you could record any potential conversation you might have with them - just incase they are not too mannerly when you are taking this action.

• Advertisement

They have always been rude, i have some one liners that they gave me. I recorded every conversation on paper.

Apparently though its up to me to prove that the faults were there when I bought it and not after me driving and damaging it.

So it will be very difficult for me to prove.

Even though I have photos, details etc.

I am in a jam with it.

You were told that they may not pay up, but have you tried? It doesn't look like you've tried everything, it looks as though you got one opinion and gave up before even trying anything else. SCC costs €15, why haven't you done that yet? Giving out on an Internet forum will do you no good.

jor el wrote: »
    You were told that they may not pay up, but have you tried? It doesn't look like you've tried everything, it looks as though you got one opinion and gave up before even trying anything else. SCC costs €15, why haven't you done that yet? Giving out on an Internet forum will do you no good.

I have gone to scc, one of the first things I did after consulting Consumer Agency. The company sent a letter back claiming they didnt even sell me the car and that they will take legal action against me.

Next I went to solicitor, he said it'd be harder to catch them and id probably waste my money.

I am giving out on this forum because it is A FORUM for conversation about this sort of thing and having tried everything else I am at a loose end. I am also warning others of the disgraceful behaviour of the garage in question on <snip> and the scams that they are running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Did you get a warranty with the car? Or a receipt?

Surely if you're paying for an item as big as a car, you'll get SOME written recognition of payment that could be used in the SCC?

I have gone to scc, one of the first things I did after consulting Consumer Agency. The company sent a letter back claiming they didnt even sell me the car and that they will take legal action against me.

How can they claim they didn't even sell you the car, unless there was something dodgy about the sale? What did the SCC rule? If you have proof of purchase, then you can prove their lying. If you don't have that, then you entered into a dodgy purchase, and should have expected a dodgy outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

This is a great example of always getting a car professionally checked out, regardless of the dealer. There are plenty of cars out there - if something doesnt seem right on a car your looking at, just walk away.

Op, I'm sorry to hear of your problems. These guys really do have you over a barrel. It sickens me, because I work hard to offer a good customer service and these dealers tar me with their brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

who are they? I'd like to see some pics

What are the interior and body problems discovered that you didnt notice before the sale?

Unfortunately I am always very wary of small dealers, I shouldnt be but some of them are complete cowboys, least you feel you might have some better comeback with a bigger organisation as its not worth the hassle to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JJ43

I bought my car from the same car garage on <SNIP> over a year ago.
    I got it serviced about 7 months after with an actual VW dealer.
    From day one there was always a slight pull to one side. Anyway in the last few months i have had 2 flat tyres on the same side and have brought it to the same local garage each time.
    They told me the car was once crashed and one side has been re sparayed.
    There is a problem with the chasis and its a huge one to repair. My tyres were constantly wearing down because of this.
    I understand that they are not boliged to tell me this upon purchase.
    But are they obliged to sell me a road worthy car? I think so.
    Surely if there is a damaged chasis wihich is causing my tyres to blow then this is dangerous.
    I also found them very tough to deal with and was glad when i thought i didnt have to deal with them again.
    Is it simply tough luck that i bought this or can i take this further?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

JJ43 wrote: »
    I bought my car from the same car garage on <SNIP> over a year ago.
    I got it serviced about 7 months after with an actual VW dealer.
    From day one there was always a slight pull to one side. Anyway in the last few months i have had 2 flat tyres on the same side and have brought it to the same local garage each time.
    They told me the car was once crashed and one side has been re sparayed.
    There is a problem with the chasis and its a huge one to repair. My tyres were constantly wearing down because of this.
    I understand that they are not boliged to tell me this upon purchase.
    But are they obliged to sell me a road worthy car? I think so.
    Surely if there is a damaged chasis wihich is causing my tyres to blow then this is dangerous.
    I also found them very tough to deal with and was glad when i thought i didnt have to deal with them again.
    Is it simply tough luck that i bought this or can i take this further?:mad:

Damaged chassis is usually a write off ... or at least from an Insurance companies perspective.

You can take it further but at your expense and they will make it extremely difficult for you. The one company is registered under three names, they are selling dangerous cars and ripping people off.

This is a great country we live in when we have to risk dangering our lives when buying a car.

I am so angry and they are still open and dealing who knows what they are really selling.

The next problem could be with someones breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You didn't answer a previous question. Do you have a receipt or warranty from this company?

Yes I have a full receipt with a signature and stamp etc. However having showed this to the consumer affairs agency and after them contacting the company, they felt that I would not be able to catch them as they are behind on rent, working under three names etc.

My point to the consumer agency was...why are they still trading so???

It seems they are trading completely illegally!

Take a case against them in the SCC - it only costs €15. Then at least, there would be a judgement registered against them if you were successful.

By coming here and doing nothing, you are achieving nothing.

dudara wrote: »
    Take a case against them in the SCC - it only costs €15. Then at least, there would be a judgement registered against them if you were successful.

By coming here and doing nothing, you are achieving nothing.

I already registered the problem and they replied and stated they would take action against me if I didnt stop hassling them and that it wasnt there problem.

I HAVE tried to resolve this issue but all I have gotten is threats, and non stop ignorance.

Now Im just warning others not to buy cars on <snip>

I already registered the problem and they replied and stated they would take action against me if I didnt stop hassling them and that it wasnt there problem.

Take them to court and get them to prove that there is nothing wrong in a court of law. They know that you are someone who can be pressurised and that is what they are doing.

Threats are only threats, they're designed to get you to back down before a ruling goes against them. These are unfounded threats, as a business cannot sue you for bringing them to the small claims court. I've had threats of court action from two companies now, but when you're right, you're right, and these threats are meaningless. Designed purely to get you to pay something you don't owe, just to make it all stop.

Stop backing down on this, just do what the law entitles you to do and take the small claims case against them. Without this, you will get nowhere, and posting on an Internet forum, regardless of how big it might be, will not stop them or get any resolution for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

Car Car and JJ43 have very similar writing styles...... theres something odd about this whole thread tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

JamBur wrote: »
    Car Car and JJ43 have very similar writing styles...... theres something odd about this whole thread tbh

Hmm, ya think? JJ43 has only one post? (here and in total) how do you draw your conclusions? (cant be by comparison)
    Whats odd about it? some person claims their car is unroadworthy, they purchased it in X and are now telling us???
    Personally I'd like to see the names of the places that have had accusations levelled at them, even if they aren't true or on tenuous grounds it gives other potential buyers an idea what they might be like to deal with.
    A genuine dealer would know if there are problems when selling you a car, likely I'd be getting a car I purchased serviced soon after, any faults I'd be going back the next day!
    Anyone that is difficult to deal with should be put up here (ie name and shame) for poor customer service, maybe we should have thread about that?
    Is that a way around naming and shaming someone without saying they are selling dodgy cars?? name and shame for terrible aftersale/customer service.
    These kind of people need to be out of business.

JamBur - If you believe that there is a problem with a post, or indeed posts, then please use the Report Post functionality, rather than adding noise to the thread.

dudara

• Advertisement

Well I bought a car and im sure many other's have.

Anyway, I have given up my battle with them, financially I cannot afford it.

Thank you all for the advice.

The lesson is dont buy cars on <snip> I guess!!

Advertisement