Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing Boards to Roof Rack

Options
  • 19-08-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

G'day.
    Any suggestions on the best method of securing surf board/s to roof rack?

The roof rack is a standard 2 parallel bars. Board will be in a bag.
    I have 2 straps with locking mechanism but even tightened to the last wrapped twice around the board and under the bar 'still allows a fair bit of movment..

All ingenious methods greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

This is the best way I've found. Basically you use the straps to keep the board to one side using the vertial pieces (attached to car) of the rack.

Enjoy the mspaint pic :D

tie_board.JPG

Or was it up+down movement you're getting as opposed to side to side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I'm afraid you can't transport the internet! :P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

If you really want it to stay still try Ratchet Lashings, if that is not your cup of tea go for parachute cord, its flexible wont dig into your board and is easy to remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If you value your board never use ratchet straps or over tighten the straps as you'll crack the rails of the board.

Also never loop the strap around the end of the bars, always put the straps around the inside of the bars. I've know of two boards written off and lucky nobody was hurt.

The tie downs sold in surf shops or motor factors are ideal, like these

http://store.magicseaweed.com/Curve-Adjustable-Tiedowns/Item/2501/

or

http://store.magicseaweed.com/SPT-Lockable-Rack-Straps/Item/191/

don't go to cheap!

Never trust the clips though tei off the loose end of the strap with a few good knots.

The board needs to be secure but will still move a bit there should be no slack in the straps but don't over tighten the staps or but you full weight behind them

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

Will 3k.. thanks man it's true a pic does paint 1000 words, think i'll go with that.

mink_man: ??

penrose: nice one I have some tie downs might get a rachet strap also.

space hopper: I have a couple of those straps, excellent advice on not trusting the clips and looping round the bars, noted and taken on board. Kudos

aquaman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

No problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

This is how I do it and the board will not budge even with a lot of pushing..

1. Put board on rack. Fins over the windscreen.

2. Get the 1st strap and wrap it around the end of the bar closest to the fins! Throw these over the board to the other side. You will want to have the metal clamp part on top of the board(if it has padding) the end of the strap will then wrap around the other end of the bars and back towards the metal clamp.

3. Put the loose end through the clamp so as to have it come back towards you once its gone through. If done correctly it should naturally tighten when you pull it. Make sure the metal clamp is still centred in the middle of the board to keep pressure on holding it down.

4. For the back of the board repeat the steps above.

Hopefully this makes sense. I used the straps spacehopper 1st linked to.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »
    This is how I do it and the board will not budge even with a lot of pushing..

1. Put board on rack. Fins over the windscreen.

2. Get the 1st strap and wrap it around the end of the bar closest to the fins! Throw these over the board to the other side. You will want to have the metal clamp part on top of the board(if it has padding) the end of the strap will then wrap around the other end of the bars and back towards the metal clamp.

3. Put the loose end through the clamp so as to have it come back towards you once its gone through. If done correctly it should naturally tighten when you pull it. Make sure the metal clamp is still centred in the middle of the board to keep pressure on holding it down.

4. For the back of the board repeat the steps above.

Hopefully this makes sense. I used the straps spacehopper 1st linked to.

Thanks Daz,
    Back from kerry and yours is close to the method I ended up using except i tied the surplus strap around the bars just in case. Oh and fins to the front is an interesting twist, have not seen anyone doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

aquaman wrote: »
    Oh and fins to the front is an interesting twist, have not seen anyone doing that.

It is less aerodynamic carrying boards that way - on a long trip you will use more petrol.

But the idea is that the front of a board is more flexible than the back, so the back should be over the windscreen where it catches the wind. Makes sense if you are transporting one longboard - it will flex a lot less carrying it that way. But if you are carrying short boards, or multiple boards in one bag, they wont flex as much anyway as there is little overhang, so might as well have them as aerodynamic as possible I would have thought

steve9859 wrote: »
    It is less aerodynamic carrying boards that way - on a long trip you will use more petrol.

But the idea is that the front of a board is more flexible than the back, so the back should be over the windscreen where it catches the wind. Makes sense if you are transporting one longboard - it will flex a lot less carrying it that way. But if you are carrying short boards, or multiple boards in one bag, they wont flex as much anyway as there is little overhang, so might as well have them as aerodynamic as possible I would have thought

Aha..
    Wouldn't another way to reduce flexing of the front of the board is have more overhang at the back than the front, thereby the nose is closer to the bracing of the roof rack?

On another issue..
    How do you guys find magic seaweed? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im afraid if the fins are to the back it'll slide off :p

Magic Seaweed is good at giving an idea. It sometimes isn't as accurate as the actual conditions.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement