Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid: Other M

Options
  • 19-08-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Does anyone know when Gamestop are going to start taking deposits for Metroid: Other M? Thanks in advance for any help given :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They're probably taking them now, but I wouldn't bother with a deposit unless the preorder reward is justified (and it usually isn't). There is no chance of it selling out.

Check back here on the morning of September 3rd and you're sure to find a thread with someone asking where is cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ScienceNerd361

Mr E wrote: »
    They're probably taking them now, but I wouldn't bother with a deposit unless the preorder reward is justified (and it usually isn't). There is no chance of it selling out.

Check back here on the morning of September 3rd and you're sure to find a thread with someone asking where is cheapest.

Thanks for the help :) Also, I only want to put a deposit down so I wont end up spending the money I have saved for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

then just buy a gift card for 50 euro or whatever then you cant spend it

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ScienceNerd361

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    then just buy a gift card for 50 euro or whatever then you cant spend it

Ah, clever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Reviews are just appearing for this one now, all positive so far, really looks like a follow up to Super Metroid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought this was ages away, but has creeped up! Kotaku review was singing the games praises - meant to be extremely innovative. Can't wait to get my hands on it now!

Less than 10 hours long and little incentive to replay (unlockable artwork) means I'm leaning towards a rental.... can't wait to play it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Champion Gold

I am really looking forward to this game.

The controls look very intuitive and the gameplay brilliant. There are varied environments but apparently the music is not as good as other games in the series. Oh well, I'll still be getting it this coming friday afternoon.

BTW, does any shop give free gifts if you buy it or pre-order it. For pokemon HG i got a ds case and this cool poster with galaxy 2. The former at hmv, the latter at gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

So does anyone know of anywhere doing any pre-order bonuses for this game??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

its going to be a long game it goes on a dual layer disc a normal wii game is dvd 5 this is dvd 7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

massy086 wrote: »
    its going to be a long game it goes on a dual layer disc a normal wii game is dvd 5 this is dvd 7

If by long you mean padded out with unnecessary/unwanted cut scenes, then yes it will be...

I've preordered this one and have been avoiding pretty much all media related to it, but have a feeling I'll be bitterly disappointed

Does anyone else think that the TV ad for this is really bad? It shows a guy playing Metroid.

I can picture the director off camera saying things like "Look puzzled. Now look serious. Now look like you're concentrating. Now look excited!" (then they edit in the gameplay sections afterwards)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I am really looking forward to picking this game up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Played for an hour and a half or so so far (shopto shipped 2 days early and I live in the UK) and I'm swinging between loving it and hating it so far.
    In between the needless cutscenes there's some classic Metroid gameplay to be had, but I'm really not warming to switching between holding the Wiimote NES style and aiming with it.

Won't have a chance to play it again until Monday now:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Quick price check in town this evening: 44.99 in HMV and 49.99 in Game, although neither seemed to be selling it. Hoping Smyths will be between 40-45 in the morning.

I just picked it up in HMV after school for 44.99. I cant play it until tonight but ill put an hour or 2 into it and get properly stuck in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Saw it for 44.99 in Tesco so they aint undercutting anyone for it.

Will probably pick this up sometime, maybe not in the next few weeks but maybe in the Winter sales. Still have to find a copy of MP:Trilogy somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Saw it for 44.99 in Tesco so they aint undercutting anyone for it.

Will probably pick this up sometime, maybe not in the next few weeks but maybe in the Winter sales. Still have to find a copy of MP:Trilogy somewhere.

saw a copy in dundrum HMV second hand as far as I remember about a month ago :) I would have gotten it but I had just picked up echoes from GC and corruption for the Wii for 15 altogether and had played prime 1 to death....now that I think of it I would have like the wii controls over the GC controls though :S

Im gonna wait till its reduced to get it as I still have one last Metroid game to complete (Echoes)

Two hours in
    (just got diffusion beam)
    and very impressed so far! Very pure Metroid, seems to be a wonderful place to explore. Cinematics are surprisingly well delivered. Control scheme is strange, takes a bit of getting used to. The first person bits are a bit awkward. However, the main controls are very good indeed, and have made many of the standard Metroid tropes like wall jumps and morph ball bomb jumps easier. Looks cool too - like most Wii games, some textures are iffy (particularly ground textures in the
    jungle levels
    ) but overall impressive art design, with a rich world and particularly well designed characters.

So far, so Metroid. Wish I could use a Nunchuck, but so far a minor concern, and only really in the first person bits. This is shaping up to be a fine game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Loving it so far. But those pixel searching sections grind the game to a f*cking halt. Don't know how they got past play testing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Really want this game but it's going to have to wait. Too many niche games I want to get at the moment that I'm afraid wil sell out.

The controls are proving tricky to get to grips with, for me anyway. I had trouble with guys like
    The 2 chameleons
    and
    those armadillo things
    , which I am ashamed to say. It also seems a lot more linear than other games.

It can also be hard to know if it's even possible to get at certain items at certain points. You don't know if your just not doing it right or if you just don't have the required ability yet.

It's kind of a stupid plot mechanic for how your suits abilities are unlocked. You actually have to wait until you're given permission to use them. Sure, that sort of makes sense for things like super missiles that might do damage to the space station, but to be running around in a volcano for half an hour only to then be given permission to use your Varia Suit is really, really silly.

You do start to get more proficient at using the controls as you go along, particularly switching between 3rd and 1st person modes and aiming quickly. But it gets very sore on the wrists after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's kind of a stupid plot mechanic for how your suits abilities are unlocked. You actually have to wait until you're given permission to use them. Sure, that sort of makes sense for things like super missiles that might do damage to the space station, but to be running around in a volcano for half an hour only to then be given permission to use your Varia Suit is really, really silly.

Seriously, lol? Doesn't the varia offer extra protection regarding defensive shielding and less damage. Or is that not included in this game?

varia suit stops you from losing health in hot places

It has to be said the boss battles are outstanding in it. And there are a hell of a lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

varia suit stops you from losing health in hot places

I know, but in nearly every metroid game it also gives you better shielding from enemy attacks when compared to power suit. Gravity suit offers even more shielding again.

Well it's certainly anticlimactic. That's got to be a first for a Metroid game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I'm really enjoying it so far - the controls are great, playing as Samus is as fun as ever, the levels are well designed (I can't wait to go back and hoover up all those items I'm missing), it looks very nice, the set-pieces and bosses are awesome and the plot isn't taking over proceedings too much, which is something I was concerned about from the trailers. It's a nice mix of elements from the classic 2D Metroids and the Prime trilogy.

I have a few gripes though - the method for unlocking new abilities is incredibly stupid (I never thought I'd miss the days when Samus somehow manages to lose all of her powers at the start of every game), I hate the boring pixel-hunting sections and constantly get stuck on them, jumping onto enemies seems a bit hit and miss at times and I'm finding the d-pad uncomfortable to use over long periods so I wish there was an option for nunchuk control, but these are all small things in the grand scheme.

Anyone else finding themselves looking at the Game Over screen a bit more often than they're used to?

Edit: I thought it said the Varia suit gives heat resistance and increased defense, but I may have imagined that :)

• Advertisement

elekid wrote: »
    Edit: I thought it said the Varia suit gives heat resistance and increased defense, but I may have imagined that :)

I think it does. The Gravity Suit certainly mentions increased defense anyway.

Still stupid that you wait around for permission to use them though.

For the most part the D-Pad suffices okay... can you imagine trying to play this on the 360 D-Pad?

There's one section where you have to jump up a series of platforms up a lift shaft that's at an angle. You need to jump up, forward and to the right or left... very frustrating to pull off with the D-Pad.

Advertisement