Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid: Other M

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm kind of enjoying it so far, but it's not blowing me away. I've heard that there is a point when it starts getting really good. When is that? :)

I'm currently in the
    Jungle area, and just got the diffusion beam

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,396 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm kind of enjoying it so far, but it's not blowing me away. I've heard that there is a point when it starts getting really good. When is that? :)

I'm currently in the
    Jungle area, and just got the diffusion beam

Hmm, not sure if there's a magical spot where everything comes together yet, but I think the boss fights are the parts that so far have me saying "Hell yes"!

I've just fought
    Ridley
    , and still very much enjoying it, especially now since the 'weapon authorisation' is less intrusive (I'll repeat the Varia suit complaints). My one major gripe is the lack of a coherent map: genuinely feels hard to go exploring for all your left over items, and getting to points where you can't backtrack is frustrating.

Overall, though, still think it is a refreshing take on the Metroid formula. As has been said, the combat system is probably the most welcome change: Team Ninja doing what they do best!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've just fought
    Ripley

Samus vs.
    Sigourney Weaver
    ? Hell yeah. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,396 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr E wrote: »
    Samus vs.
    Sigourney Weaver
    ? Hell yeah. :)

Oops, edited, I knew I was going to put down the wrong one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh and it turns out it does have something resembling an exciting climax.

But...
    It's stuck on after the end credits so it doesn't really feel like part of the game and you feel completely disconnected from the story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I just can't seem to get into this at all, I haven't been able to play it for more than an hour at a time, which is extremely unusual for me when it comes to Metroid games!
    Some of the boss battles are certainly entertaining, but general enemy combat almost feels onerous, in fact if I have to backtrack at all I've now started running past enemies whenever possible. Dodging an incoming projectile at the last second is quite fun though (call me mad, but it almost feels like PN03 at times!)

The Metroid Prime games felt like a genuine successor to previous games despite being developed in Texas, this just feels like a Metroid game that was developed by someone who didn't quite get it...

I guess I just had too many expectations here... I've been patiently waiting for a 2D sequel to Super Metroid on a home console for almost 2/3 of my life now, sadly this just doesn't seem to be it...:(

I hope you've played Zero Mission and Fusion. They're outstanding.

There are certainly a lot of faults with Other M. Just feels like they could have spent a good bit more time on it.

It did certainly grab me though. I kept playing until my wrists were sore. Too bad it was all over so soon.

tman wrote: »
    I guess I just had too many expectations here... I've been patiently waiting for a 2D sequel to Super Metroid on a home console for almost 2/3 of my life now, sadly this just doesn't seem to be it...:(

Shadow Complex will do ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I hope you've played Zero Mission and Fusion. They're outstanding.

Of course! I think the only Metroid game that I haven't played so far is the pinball one, which I hear is surprisingly decent... I would just much rather play this kind of game on a nice big screen, with a controller that doesn't make my hand mutate into a crab claw after an hour's play.
    Guess I'll stick with it until the end, but somehow doubt I'll bother coming back to get 100% items after I've cleared it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Unfortunately I don't think I will be picking this up. The D-Pad on the wii mote simply does not like. When playing brawl I always had to resort to gamecube controller. When playing my friend's M other M I simply couldn't steer Samus with comfort. Had Nintendo included the option of using the nun chuck solely for up, left,right, down I would have definitely bought the game left right and centre. Unfortunately, as things are, I can't see the logic behind a game I simply can't control. Oh, and seeing as I'm criticising this game I hate the way they
    made Samus a wuss infront of Ridley given the way she conducted herself in front of him in Prime. Also anyone else thing it is a bit disrespectful to the space pirates to have them characterised as creatures without a goal when in Prime the logs described them as highly intelligent.:mad:
    I loved the direction Ninty took with the Prime series (Echoes being one of my favourite games of all time), unfortunately because of a design decision I won't be able evaluate this new direction. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Malty_T wrote: »
    Oh, and seeing as I'm criticising this game I hate the way they
    made Samus a wuss infront of Ridley given the way she conducted herself in front of him in Prime. Also anyone else thing it is a bit disrespectful to the space pirates to have them characterised as creatures without a goal when in Prime the logs described them as highly intelligent.:mad:
    I loved the direction Ninty took with the Prime series (Echoes being one of my favourite games of all time), unfortunately because of a design decision I won't be able evaluate this new direction. :(

I think it works quite well.
    It emphasises what a threat he is and of course she's going to freak out, he killed her parents when she was just a kid. And it's also heavily stated that Samus is the only one who can tackle Ridley. Also the battle itself is pretty amazing. Also these are Space Pirate clones that the federation has developed to use as bio weapons and are completely under the control of MB. I have a lot of problems with this game, but overall I enjoyed it... but my problems with it don't include the characterisation of Samus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Had a big change of heart on this after getting stuck several times near the end on
    the Metroid Queen and subsequent pixel hunt during a battle
    which sucked all the enjoyment out of it for me. The cutscenes are way too long and boring so combined with all those design, gameplay and characterization niggles mentioned in this thread it's probably my least favourite Metroid to date :(

Edit: And now that
    I have full access to the ship for item hunting,
    I'm really enjoying it again. I have very mixed feelings about this game!

Just completed the main story there. Liked how bat**** insane it went plotwise! Last couple of boss battles were good fun, although I'd definitely agree the
    first person bit when you were fighting MB and her monster chums
    didn't work.
    Glad I stuck around 'til after the credits. Am at 58% completion or something so lots to do. The creatures that pop out after you power bomb the metal doors are bastards so far!

This game does remind me of one thing I hate about Metroid though: too many missile packs :pac:

Advertisement