Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamilton, NZ

Options
  • 19-08-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

Right myself and a few other mates are heading over to NZ in a couple of months, debating where to base ourselves for a few months. Hamilton came up in conversation as one of the lads cousins live there.

Anyone been / lived there for a while. Rent looks cheap but what's it like on job front and social life?

Thanks,

Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Hamilton aka Hamil-tron.
    STI capital of NZ :)
    Big student crowd from what I heard, hence the sti jokes.
    Have been there once about 3yrs ago. Found it boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

Ah, yes, Hamiltron.
    A lot of kiwi's complain when they have to go there (hope I'm not offending anyone from Hamilton). Fairly boring place, but there is the University of Waikato there, so I'd imagine some large parties happen frequently, if that's what you are in to.
    Has a population of about 140,000 people, so one of the smaller main centres. Auckland isn't too far up the road (maybe 100 - 150kms).

What are you thinking of doing while in New Zealand? Sometimes this will decide where to stay for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

Thanks guys!

Hailtron.....nice!!!

Plan is fairly basic at the moment, travel for a few weeks around N.Island when we land, settle down somewhere for a few months, work (hopefully) party (definitely) and try save a bit to head down towards S.Island come winter and try settle somewhere for a while, get a job...party....then Rugby WC.

Any info would be great!

Cheers,

Mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

mac_09 wrote: »
    Hi,

Right myself and a few other mates are heading over to NZ in a couple of months, debating where to base ourselves for a few months. Hamilton came up in conversation as one of the lads cousins live there.

Anyone been / lived there for a while. Rent looks cheap but what's it like on job front and social life?

Thanks,

Mac

long time since i was in NZ but hamilton was my least favourite city by a million miles , a charmless cultureless hole of a spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I lived in the 'Tron for a year a while ago.Population is 100k, the closest Irish city would be somewhere like Waterford.

I really liked it- quiet during the week, busy at the weekends, and very close to all the good NI stuff. Much better than Auckland for getting out and seeing some of the countryside. Raglan is 30mins, coromandel, Skiing and Auckland are all easy day trips.

Work-not too sure at the moment. There's always loads of farmwork around Hamilton. It's dairying though, not fruit-picking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yea never been but always the butt of jokes for the kiwis.
    Why not try christchurch or welly instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

Hamilton's a bit of a dive, cultureless and boring, and the world capital of the dairy industry.

Much more pleasant towns to spend your North Island time in (personally I'm a fan of Wellington, Gisborne and Napier. Could take or leave Auckland, and mostly leave)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Moosey2Loosey

Howya,

I spent a weekend in The Tron about 2 years ago. The pubs were fine until about 12 when the crowd/mood changed. Two people were stabbed on the street the first night. It seems a nice, quiet place by day but I'll not head out on the beer there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

Me and my mate will be arriving in a few months time (early November) and will be basing ourselves on the North Island, he is a qualified fabricator, while my field is in the scientific/laboratory area, I don't expect to pick up much in it, so would be looking for anything casual really (bar, shop, general work) anything just to pay the bills and have a bit of a social life.

What do people reckon the prospects of picking up work fairly quickly would be and where would be the best place for it, we are landing in Auckland but aren't tied to there. Ideally it would be great to have something before Christmas ~within 6 weeks of us arriving.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,
    cheers in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Moosey2Loosey

Keep an eye on Trademe.co.nz and Gumtree, might be something for you on there. Things slow down coming up to Christmas work wise as that is a lot of peoples summer break. Head for the Fiddler in Auckland downtown, usually people in there who know about bar work. Good place to meet other Irish, if that's what you are after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had a mate living there for a while and he said it was the dullest place he'd ever lived, and he had lived in some pretty rubbish places before.

It does have a statue of Richard O'Brien though, but that is probably as exciting as it gets.

http://www.sweet-transvestites.com/uk/News/statue-uk.htm

Advertisement