Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I need for free to air tv in Greece ?

• 19-08-2010 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

If i purchased a sat box and a free to air sky card here in Ireland would it work in Greece ?Any comments would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Get a huge dish if you wish to watch anything on Astra 2D (This is where BBC, ITV and Channel 4 are)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TomGreene

Yeah minstrel I have 3.2m dish in the complex ? It should work so ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

It wouldnt be worth it to be honest if your looking to get the likes of the BBC, ITV etc.

Best look for an internet stream or checkout Nova Greece (Greek Sky).

EDIT: 3.2m might be good - let me look

Yeah I reckon a 3.2m could well do it but is it fixed at 28e ?

The dish is up and ready ? Have a house over there and just want a few channels.Just wanted to know what to bring with me to get it up and running.A bit of a novice when it comes to techy things !!

• Advertisement

Yeah it is pointing the right way for free to air sky.

TomGreene wrote: »
    Yeah it is pointing the right way for free to air sky.

Ok I have read of people receiving some of the Sky channels in Cyprus with a 2.4m dish so you being much closer and a larger dish should be in a far better position. Try bringing a freesat box or fta receiver with you and give it a go. You will definitely pick up channels but how many is unknown.

Thanks redout.I was wondering if I bought an English fta sat box and card on the net would it do any good ? I think you can get bbc itv channel 5 and a few others as well.Thanks for the help anyway.Its much appreciated.

TomGreene wrote: »
    Thanks redout.I was wondering if I bought an English fta sat box and card on the net would it do any good ? I think you can get bbc itv channel 5 and a few others as well.Thanks for the help anyway.Its much appreciated.

You dont need a card unless you want Sky.

A freesat box will give you BBC, ITV, C4, C5 etc for free as these channels are broadcast FTA.

Check http://www.freesat.co.uk/

and http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

A genuine branded freesat box (as in Humax etc.) requires to see the Eurobird satellite (for postcode verification) during installation, as well as the Astra birds for reception. To all intents and purposes they are co-located at 28.2 degrees, but a 3.2m dish has a really narrow focus, so you might have problems getting proper alignment of both. Someone with experience of these big dishes may provide more info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

More than 2m you may even lose the signal briefly twice a day without a elevation motor.

I don't think 3.2m can "see" 28.2 and 28.5 at same time if pointed at Astra 2D.

Watty I have a 5 year old sat box[Irish] out there at the moment in greece but all i can get is sky news ? wondering if I bought a newer model with uk settings would it make any difference ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unlikely.
    If it receives Sky news it probabily works. Though it needs reception of "default transponder" to get re-tuning info for channels.

Could you give me that in lay mans terms ?Default transponder ?

Advertisement