Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Morning after DD checkpoints at bike rallies.

• 19-08-2010 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

A few mates were at the Independents Rally over the weekend and noted two separate Garda DD checkpoints at roads leading out of the venue. This was at about 11 am when most would have been travelling home.

I don't condone drink driving however I would find this type of carry on a bit much and abusing their powers particularly the next day when there may be a few borderline cases.

I believe those at the venue that hadn't left yet were warned well in advance.

Not the first time, a few years ago I came across the same coming out of the Freewheelers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Attention grabbing title much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I hear that they do it after most "gatherings"...not just bikes....(except around Croke Pk....;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

Morning-after drink driving checkpoints are a common enough occurrence in the run up to Christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I would find this type of carry on a bit much and abusing their powers ...
    Nonsense, there is no abuse of power because as you point out yourself -
    ... when there may be a few borderline cases...
    Those few words are all the justification needed. If attendees at a rally know they are likely to be breathalysed next morning and still do the dog on the drink, whose fault is it if they got caught? The Guards for doing their job or the irresponsible eejits who overdid it on the liquor the night before?

Let's have much more of these checkpoints please and help keep the roads safe for responsible road-users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mathepac wrote: »
    Nonsense, there is no abuse of power because as you point out yourself -
    Those few words are all the justification needed. If attendees at a rally know they are likely to be breathalysed next morning and still do the dog on the drink, whose fault is it if they got caught? The Guards for doing their job or the irresponsible eejits who overdid it on the liquor the night before?

Let's have much more of these checkpoints please and help keep the roads safe for responsible road-users.
    Wait until the new limits come into effect in September 2011 when it will be reduced to 50 mg and 20mg in some cases. :)

Those caught between 50 and 80 milligrammes won’t receive a ban from driving but will be landed with a €200 fine anf three penalty points :eek:

I could see quite a lot of bikers having a good sleep in on Sunday. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I could see quite a lot of bikers having a good sleep in on Sunday. :)

This is a complete non issue IMO. The gardai do this at many events as already stated, for example Oxegen, Electric Picnic etc.

Basically you are suggesting that the gardai should not enforce the already existing laws?

Not to mention the fact that unless you have been living in a cave for the past number of years, the whole DD checkpoint campaigns at events have been highlighted in the media.

Campaign for something sensible with some sensible comments all you want, but not this Rag Top style "picking on us" scaremongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

nereid wrote: »
    ...but not this Rag Top style "picking on us" scaremongering.

But that's 'Runs' style, look through his thread history and comments, i'm sure his fav website is probably www.indymedia.ie, next to boards i mean :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

I believe those at the venue that hadn't left yet were warned well in advance.

I think it's a great idea that there's a good presence early enough to make a difference.

At least when word filters back to the venue all of those muppets who are probably still well over the limit will decide to chillax for a few more hours instead of taking to the roads in their semi-inebriated state.

Advertisement