Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dog doesn't like being outside.

Options
  • 19-08-2010 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi, this isn't much of a problem admittedly, but I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

We just got a rescue dog. We have no clue as to his history. He's shy and nervous and terribly sweet.

From Day One we've been trying to train independance - what I don't want is a dog with seperation anxiety. Coming and going without making a fuss so he realises it's normal and he's not being abandoned etc. It's working really well indoors - we can leave the room and do something elsewhere in the house and he just curls up and sleeps.

He sleeps outside at night and as I put treats in the kennel from day one, he's happy to use it. No whimpering.

BUT he won't go outside much during the day and it's wierd. We have a lovely garden and even if we're reading the papers outside the dog will wander into the house. We'll be in another room doing something and the kitchen door will be wide open and it'll be a much more interesting environment out there and he'll still just snooze in his bed indoors.

Surely the garden is full of interesting sniffs and smells? If we put him outside and close the door on him he'll start boredom/territorial barking within 5 minutes! We don't respond to it but it's really stressful - we feel like we can't put him out at all but he'll start barking. But it's not healthy for any dog to just sleep the day away when he's not being taken for walks!

And Lord knows he's not wanting for attention exercise - I'm at home all day and I play with him every morning when I get up (to burn off some of his early energy) and he gets two long walks every single day in varying directions.

One interesting thing - he doesn't know how to play. We've been buying toys and trying to teach him, and now he knows how to play with us - but he does not play on his own. At all. So basically I think he's got no idea how to amuse himself on his own and that may be why he doesn't know what to do with himself outside. We've put his toys outside and he ignores them completely which staggered me. He just sits on the step waiting to be let back in, only stopping to for a barking session if he hears a dog like, half a mile away.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I'm stressed because I honestly cannot be a playmate for the dog 12 hours a day. Yes, I'm home, but I need to be able to do other things without worrying that the dog cannot amuse himself without me!

Should I even be worrying at all? Am I over-reacting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

he may have been forcefully kept ouside in bad conditions before you got him and is therefore reluctant to be outside now. I had all of the same things with my dog when I got him and know it is not always the answer but I rescued a second dog and he has come on in leaps and bounds. He will now play with her in the garden with back door wide open and me not out there with him. Know its double the money, double the time and double the worry but to see the two of them playing and running round the garden together is worth every grey hair!! :D Best of luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Thanks - I think I'll just stop worrying about it. At least he likes his kennel so isn't traumatised by being outdoors or anything - he just wants to be inside.

I'd say alright that a 2nd dog would give him something to do outside, but we're still getting used to having one at the moment! It's a big adjustment!

I think there was some bad treatment - he's very good with anyone he meets but very shy and always looks a bit worried. No confidence at all. I'm glad he's got a nice quiet safe home with us now.

It's mad - he just wants to be basically indoors, preferably snoozing on your lap 24/7.

It's like we ordered a dog, and got a cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

trio wrote: »
    Hi, this isn't much of a problem admittedly, but I'd like to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

We just got a rescue dog. We have no clue as to his history. He's shy and nervous and terribly sweet.

From Day One we've been trying to train independance - what I don't want is a dog with seperation anxiety. Coming and going without making a fuss so he realises it's normal and he's not being abandoned etc. It's working really well indoors - we can leave the room and do something elsewhere in the house and he just curls up and sleeps.

He sleeps outside at night and as I put treats in the kennel from day one, he's happy to use it. No whimpering.

BUT he won't go outside much during the day and it's wierd. We have a lovely garden and even if we're reading the papers outside the dog will wander into the house. We'll be in another room doing something and the kitchen door will be wide open and it'll be a much more interesting environment out there and he'll still just snooze in his bed indoors.

Surely the garden is full of interesting sniffs and smells? If we put him outside and close the door on him he'll start boredom/territorial barking within 5 minutes! We don't respond to it but it's really stressful - we feel like we can't put him out at all but he'll start barking. But it's not healthy for any dog to just sleep the day away when he's not being taken for walks!

And Lord knows he's not wanting for attention exercise - I'm at home all day and I play with him every morning when I get up (to burn off some of his early energy) and he gets two long walks every single day in varying directions.

One interesting thing - he doesn't know how to play. We've been buying toys and trying to teach him, and now he knows how to play with us - but he does not play on his own. At all. So basically I think he's got no idea how to amuse himself on his own and that may be why he doesn't know what to do with himself outside. We've put his toys outside and he ignores them completely which staggered me. He just sits on the step waiting to be let back in, only stopping to for a barking session if he hears a dog like, half a mile away.

Anyone else experience anything like this? I'm stressed because I honestly cannot be a playmate for the dog 12 hours a day. Yes, I'm home, but I need to be able to do other things without worrying that the dog cannot amuse himself without me!

Should I even be worrying at all? Am I over-reacting?

Firstly "Congrats on your news dog" and well done for adopting a rescue dog!! you guys have done an excellent thing here :D

On the independance side of things ... there are a couple of things you can do to stop your dog want to be inside all the tme.....

in fairness my guy wants to be inside all the time, which we dont mind at all, but he loves being in the garden when we're out there too..

how about when you are outside enjoying the nice weather and want your guy to be out their with you...getting a kong, stuffing it with pate, it will keep him happy ofr ages, no dog can resist pate... or sardine paste.... or getting him a juicy bone etc.... these should encourage him to want to stay outside with you guys rather than heading inside??

http://www.zooplus.ie/ask?query=kong&num=20

i would say it will just take a little time for him to settle in... he now knows what its like to have a nice, proper family, he probaly wants to be around you all the time!!

Best of luck :D

you should post some pics of him

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

what breed is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You could always scatter dried food around the garden, that should encourage him to stay out searching for it.

Of course, if you're there, and it's no hassle to you, then I don't really see the problem with leaving him in. One of mine was reluctant to go out at first but I just left the back door open and now she likes to lie on the mat, surveying her domain, and in a good position if any sparrows should have the gall to try drink from her pond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

He sounds like a lovely dog! But it does seem that he has had major problems of neglect and lack of stimulation in the past. I think that with time he will learn to relax and enjoy being in the garden without you. Mind you, depending on their breed, some dogs are just very inclined to hang out with you wherever you are. We have two dogs and a huge area for them to wander about; one does, while the other never goes further than about twenty metres from the house without me with her. Like yours though, she was a rescue dog many moons ago, and I think that this is a legacy of that.
    Keep going as you are, don't worry too much, and your dog will be very contented in time.

Oh we've done the Kong thing. The dog can't figure out how to get it out once he's licked the outside. So then he'll abandon it! So it unfortunately doesn't last v. long.

But my main problem is that you can't be throwing things outside every half hour or so, y'know? Cos at the moment he'd be occupied with that or with a bone for a short while but as soon as the novelty wears off, right back in he wants to be!

It's mad - today it's a lovely day and my partner is outside doing all sorts of interesting things to things from the shed. And I'm in here doing....well, this at the moment! But apparently that's more of a draw as she's been in the room next door sitting on her arse in her bed all afternoon!

I suppose I shouldn't really mind. It's just such unusual behaviour for me.

By the way: how do you guys manage barking? Obviously I don't expect my dog to be silent, but if it's going on for 10 or 20 minutes what do you do? Knock on the window? I don't want to reward it with attention, but am not sure how to stop it without the dog interpreting it as attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How old is he? Just because he might be happy with his play time and walks and just want to chill out indoors during the day. Some dogs love to snooze and most dogs will sleep a good bit.

Teaching him not to bark might help by teaching him the 'speak' command by teaching him to bark on command you migh tbe able to teach him to 'stop' I think it might be a good idea if possible to bring him to a trainer that uses humane methods of training. Perhaps someone who can call to the house to see what's going on in his head.

There's a list of trainers on irishanimals.ie

Regarding the garden issue, do you know someone who has a friendly dog that might come around to 'hang out' a bit with your dog in the garden? Maybe your dog would feel more comfortable, start to notice that the other dog sniffs around, isn't troubled by the outdoors, and plays with toys etc., and perhaps join in with him in the exploring and playing.
    On the barking, one of our dogs likes to bark quite a lot, and we found (having read the tip somewhere, I think) that a short, sharp noise followed by a brisk command usually stops her very quickly. A newspaper striking a hard surface, followed by a serious sounding 'No!' works for us.

Sadly, we don't know any other dog owners at all. We definately are going to bring him to training classes though, not only because we think an insecure dog would benefit from having the comfort of "rules" but because he doesn't get to mix with other dogs at all.

On the lead he almosts asphyxiates himself trying to get at other dogs - not to be agressive but out of friendliness I think. So he definately needs socialization with other dogs.

Thanks everyone for the advice - I'm more relaxed about it now - it's such a steep learning curve!

• Advertisement

Just reread my email and wanted to add that the sharp noise to stop barking doesn't aim to frighten or punish the dog, but just to divert their attention from barking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

trio wrote: »
    One interesting thing - he doesn't know how to play. We've been buying toys and trying to teach him, and now he knows how to play with us - but he does not play on his own. At all.

just on that issue

From my experience, dogs on their own don't really "play". The max that you will get out of them is that they chew their toys to bits :D

Our three don't play much with each other either. You might see the odd little chase here and there but most of the time they look to us to provide the entertainment.

The Terrier might wander off for a half hour sniffle inspection under the bushes, the two herders usually just lie around (when thre's nothing to bark at at the fence)

Advertisement