Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with loaded bullet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tac foley wrote: »
    You missed out Finland, but should not have included Switzerland, who were as neutral as you were during WW2. Holland played very little part in WW2, BTW, as they were an occupied country for 95% of it.

In one of my books about Michael Collins, written by his nephew, Justin Nelson, there is a very good photograph of General Richard Mulcahy in full uniform, wearing his Luger. I wonder what happened to THAT piece of Irish history?

tac

Tac,
    I meant armies who had the Luger issued to their armies in the 30s/40s,irrespective wether they were occupied ,neutral or otherwise engaged in fence sitting,with a certain Ahem! leaning to the Allies.:rolleyes:

Did Finland have the Luger as an issued sidearm???:confused: Thought it was a Finnish copy called the Lathi??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Tac,
    I meant armies who had the Luger issued to their armies in the 30s/40s,irrespective wether they were occupied ,neutral or otherwise engaged in fence sitting,with a certain Ahem! leaning to the Allies.:rolleyes:

Did Finland have the Luger as an issued sidearm???:confused: Thought it was a Finnish copy called the Lathi??

No allies had any form of Luger issued to them, either before, during or after WW2.

And yes, Finland had the P.08 as an issue side-arm. The Finnish military acquired 8,000 of them in the mid-920's in .30cal Luger/7.65mm, and called it the Pistooli M/23. They were made by DWM in Berlin. The first delivery of 2,000 arrived in July of 1922. A small number of 9mm pistol M/08 - that we would call the Luger - also saw use with Finnish military, but the M/23 was the most numerous pistol used by Finnish front-line troops during World War 2. They remained in use by the Finnish military until well into the 1980's. During the Continuation War, as Finland called the war against the Russians after they had become allies of nazi Germany, later M/23 pistols with worn barrels were modified to the 9x19 cartridge [we call it the 9mm Parabellum] - by replacing the barrel and mainspring - the foresight was also changed to an angular appearance like that of the Lahti [note spelling - Lahti is a place-name in Finland, as well as a personal name]. This modification made them into the Pistol M/08. The modifications were carried out by Tikkakoski, now simply called Tikka [Tikkakoski means 'Woodpecker Rapids', in Finnish - have a look at any Tikka rifle and you can see the woodpecker used as a logo]. All Finnish Lugers had a small overmark - SA [Suomen Armijaa - in a cartouche on the left-side. Mine was very well-used even before I got it, but still had both its issue magazines, a comparative rarity, and its Finnish holster with SA stamped on it.

The Lahti or M/35 only looked somewhat like a Luger, and was designed by the famous Finnish firearms genius, Aimo Lahti. It is not only somewhat bigger than a Luger, but also has a totally different action, incorporating an accelerator to ensure perfect functioning in the usual dire winters in that part of the world. I had a Lahti, and a Swedish licence-built copy, called the m/40 by the Swedes and built by Husqvarna. Both shot remarkably well and now are enjoying a happy holiday in Oregon.

Apologies for the lengthy response but I hope this has satisfied your curiosity.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tac foley wrote: »

No allies had any form of Luger issued to them, either before, during or after WW2.
    True indeed...I dont know how you got to that point..I said "

the Luger issued to their armies in the 30s/40s,irrespective wether they were occupied ,neutral or otherwise engaged in fence sitting,with a certain Ahem! leaning to the Allies."

And yes, Finland had the P.08 as an issue side-arm. The Finnish military acquired 8,000 of them in the mid-920's in .30cal Luger/7.65mm, and called it the Pistooli M/23. They were made by DWM in Berlin. The first delivery of 2,000 arrived in July of 1922. A small number of 9mm pistol M/08 - that we would call the Luger - also saw use with Finnish military, but the M/23 was the most numerous pistol used by Finnish front-line troops during World War 2. They remained in use by the Finnish military until well into the 1980's. During the Continuation War, as Finland called the war against the Russians after they had become allies of nazi Germany, later M/23 pistols with worn barrels were modified to the 9x19 cartridge [we call it the 9mm Parabellum] - by replacing the barrel and mainspring - the foresight was also changed to an angular appearance like that of the Lahti [note spelling - Lahti is a place-name in Finland, as well as a personal name]. This modification made them into the Pistol M/08. The modifications were carried out by Tikkakoski, now simply called Tikka [Tikkakoski means 'Woodpecker Rapids', in Finnish - have a look at any Tikka rifle and you can see the woodpecker used as a logo]. All Finnish Lugers had a small overmark - SA [Suomen Armijaa - in a cartouche on the left-side. Mine was very well-used even before I got it, but still had both its issue magazines, a comparative rarity, and its Finnish holster with SA stamped on it.

The Lahti or M/35 only looked somewhat like a Luger, and was designed by the famous Finnish firearms genius, Aimo Lahti. It is not only somewhat bigger than a Luger, but also has a totally different action, incorporating an accelerator to ensure perfect functioning in the usual dire winters in that part of the world. I had a Lahti, and a Swedish licence-built copy, called the m/40 by the Swedes and built by Husqvarna. Both shot remarkably well and now are enjoying a happy holiday in Oregon.

Apologies for the lengthy response but I hope this has satisfied your curiosity.

tac
    Not at all:D Very intresting.I always thought the Lathi pistol wasthe only copy/redesign of the Luger used by Finland.Ya live and learn.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

You know, there just may be some truth that this is a civil war relic. Thus, I would hate to see it destroyed. In the future, you never know to whom they may relate this round. It's unbelievable how specific they can be. Can you imagine destroying a relic that could possibly be linked proof positive to Tom Barry?

Anyhow, for what it's worth, I would get some cosmoline, or such gun packing grease, heck, axle grease if that's all you have. Smother the round in grease, wrap some sandwich/wax paper around that, put it into an air tight bag, duct tape that, and put into a plastic bottle with a note. Color the bottle a bright color and bury in a ditch or something. Out of the middle of the field or where ploughs are likely to come along. Even place between some auld stones in a wall.

But that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

As above.

Apologies to all for thread drift.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

tac,
    Half the fun of these boards is seeing where the threads take you.
    It's like those party boats, after a while - who cares where you're going...
    :pac::pac::pac:
    I actually enjoy a bit of aside-topic, never know what you're going to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

A lot of those rounds used by the IRA were reloaded, came accross a few under a roof one time, you could tell it had been reloaded as the neck of the round had been squeezed with something like a pliers to hold the bullet in place.

The IRA at the time were short on everything and had to be resourceful, I would say that a lot of the spent shell casings would have been picked up at the ambush sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

+2 has to be one of the best read's iv'e ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Justashotgun

FISMA wrote: »
    tac,
    Half the fun of these boards is seeing where the threads take you.
    It's like those party boats, after a while - who cares where you're going...
    :pac::pac::pac:
    I actually enjoy a bit of aside-topic, never know what you're going to learn.

Exactly what I was thinking, and in my last post there was no sarcasism intended. :D

Advertisement