Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderators editing and deleting posts of their own accord.

Options
  • 19-08-2010 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭

Are moderators allowed to edit posts under the guise of part of the post "serving no purpose to the thread" ?
    I ask this in relation to a thread in the Carlow forum whereby the moderator Super-Rush took it upon himself to do so.

My question is referring to this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055708603
    Whereby a posters comment was edited and my response (agreeing with) this post was deleted three times(only with a response from the moderator in PM on the third time)
    The comment was harmless, it was a metaphor of sorts saying "I hope you open your eyes or at least go blind" with my response being "he's already blind.."

The reasoning for the moderator editing this and deleting was first 1) That neither comment served any purpose to the thread
    and then (after I pointed out that that wasn't his choice to make) 2) that it was an offensive statement to make..
    I then pointed out it was a metaphor and got no response from the moderator.

It's bloody disgraceful carry on that they're allowed to do whatever they feel like tbh.

edit-this could probably belong in helpdesk, please move if neccesary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

RopeDrink wrote: »
    a) You'd get better/faster results by linking the specific posts rather than a whole thread. I scanned through it to get a general idea of the edit and couldn't find it.

Not really possible as the posts have been deleted :p
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67481054&postcount=93 that was the post that had said comment edited.

Also the post I responded to three times that kept being deleted.

Now, I would never... NEVER... Edit a post merely to mould a conversation or change something someone has said that I do not personally like or do not wholly agree with. Sadly, seeing as I haven't the time to trawl through above link for this post you are referring to, I can't even get an idea of the issue.

That's what has been done basically in my view..

Ultimately, this is likely an issue for HelpDesk if you have a specific query/issue/scenario or just the one example
    Yeah I thought so, just put it in the wrong area methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It was inevitable that a post about graffiti was going to go downhill fairly fast. So the Mod removed a rather unnecessary/offesive remark, did it make any difference to the gist of the thread?

Foggy lad went in rather aggressively at the start, but he did have a point about legality, your response was just irrelevant, you did nothing to argue the point, just threw out insults. - even if you call them metaphores, they were still no more than insults.

If the mod's intervention had changed the argument or misled anyone, I would agree with you, but it didn't, so what are you complaining about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

moved to the helpdesk.

Have you tried talking to one of the co-mods or one of the category cmods?

I do have an opinion on this but I'd like you to try sorting this out amicably if at all possible first.

Once you've made that attempt, I'll be more than happy to follow through with this thread just as I would with any moderation complaint if you are not satisfied with the response you receive.

@Ropedrink & looksee: your responses were posted while this was in feedback so I'm not going to remove them from the thread. You both have valid opinions but I dont think it is fair to hold an open discussion on this issue before the mods/cmods involved have had a chance to settle things fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

This is the post in question with the part i edited in bold.
    In fairness, illegally a crime it may be. But people like you sicken me. unable to see the good in anything.
    I hope soeday you open your eyes, or at least go blind.
    good day to you sir.

In my opinion and in the opinion of one of my co mods this comment was personal abuse. It is also my opinion that comments like this do not serve a purpose in any thread hence the reason i removed it and the posts where you said he was blind. They contribute nothing to the arguement being made and i fail to see how you think they are.

I think your idea of what personal abuse is leaves a lot to be desired.

also, if you don't think it serves a purpose then you'd delete half of the crap in that thread.

• Advertisement

SV, have you spoken to the category mod yet?

LoLth wrote: »
    SV, have you spoken to the category mod yet?

I have sent a PM to one of them, yes.
    No reply as of yet.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

SV wrote: »
    No reply as of yet.

You should really include all the CMods in the PM. I know that one of the Region CMods isn't around much at the moment, so by sending it to all you're likely to get a quicker response.

SV wrote: »
    No reply as of yet.

As Zaph said, try Pming the other cmod. Once you have discussed the situation with the cmod post back here and let me know whether this issue has been explined to your satisfaction or if you would still like me to look into it for you.

Advertisement